Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***February 2021 Banger Meet Thread - 6 More Weeks Shop Time!***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Feb 2, 2021.

1. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see right at the top of the page, took me right there too...awesome job

2. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Was a great day in Minnesota Saturday. Little cold weather cant keep us from having fun with our hotrods @msnevilempire had the heap out to thrash on polar devils 2.jpg polar devils 3.jpg polar devils 4.jpg polar devils 6.jpg polar devils 7.jpg polar devils 8.jpg polar devils 9.jpg

3. brjnelson

brjnelson

5280A2 and Jet96 like this.
  4. WOW! Minnesotan's can make the most of anything! I was born over eight decades ago in the Northwoods at the edge of the Hull Rust Mine of the Mesabi Iron Ore Range! My folks in winter months would take us kids to visit friends in our '38 Buick! It'd get so cold that they'd leave the car running out in the driveway while the elders spent the evening playing Bridge; and we kids would nap in the warm back room! Racing in the ice and snow should be a hoot! Bless the lads! BTW most our family escaped the place during WWII!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    brjnelson, poshdbs and Jet96 like this.
  5. surf10

surf10

[​IMG]

Finally passed inspection and we are now road legal

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Jet96, Dustyp489, rwrj and 7 others like this.
  6. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I found some pictures of my coupe on stalkbook, taken at a "coffee-n-cars" held on a Sunday morning in my local shopping strip. Lots of non-HAMB cars present, but a few guys 'got' this car. Took it to another "c-n-c" event this morning - there were a bunch of guys there that got it .... big time.
    I am so pleased to be the custodian of such a great car - and must extend a big word of thanks to the HAMBers who made this happen - I appreciate your help.

barrnone50, Jet96, Star 351 and 9 others like this.
  7. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Wow, your paint looks positively liquid.

Stovebolt and winduptoy like this.
  8. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I have a question for anyone who runs a single 97 on a banger - I have a 0.040" up B diamond motor, Red winfield head and cam. I know that I need to reduce the fuel pressure, as it runs a 4 1/2lbs, I just got hold of a regulater to fit.
    The motor runs too rich, so I was wondering what you guys suggest I should run as far as a powervalve, and jet sizes.

I know that each setup requires different combinations, but I need some idea as to where to start.
    Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me.

9. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've not had much luck with a single 97 and run a Holley 94 as a single on one banger I have. It has adjustable main jets as I'm at 7000' elevation and it is handy to adjust when elevation changes are made. I run dual 81's on the others. I don't know what elevation you are at, cam specs and engine timing all are a factor. I'd start with seeing what you have.
    New it comes with 0.045 inch main jets and a Number 65 power valve for sea level use. I'd suspect, smaller from there.
    Did a dyno session awhile back and the only way to keep the AFR in line was to block off the power valve. This was the case for all carbs. Also I don't know what you are running for an air cleaner. I was running the 'old school' louvered air cleaner and it just doesn't flow enough air. The AFR dropped 2 -3 points thru all ranges when it was removed. It is a good choke. I was using the 3 7/8" washable elements as I knew the paper ones have a real pressure drop. I have made some filter changes using larger elements and air horns off of early Jeep

Jet96, guitarguy and Stovebolt like this.
  10. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Running single 97 on this last summer. Weiand high compression head 330 stipe cam block was reworked for large valves. It ran pretty good but needs some more tuning. I have a low pressure Holley electric pump and a low pressure regulator. Get a good regulator and accurate gauge as the cheaper ones don't seam to work. Using frogmouth with foam for filter seams to keep it from getting restricted. I know guys figure out the two carb option but its not easy. Lots of misinformation out there on how to set them up.
    banger.jpg

poshdbs, v8flat44, barrnone50 and 8 others like this.
  11. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey Dawg,
    Advisory for banger guys :
    I just got notice UPDATE- February, 2021.... from F.A.S.T., that:
    FAST CENTRAL Californa Group
    “has stepped forward to take over the organization”.
    Some details/issues to close the deal.
    EMAIL: for contact to exhibit interest in participating:
    [email protected]

Attached Files:

12. Yes, I am a small part of that "Group" (FAST Central Calif)! We've been putting on The Santa Margarita Ranch Time Trials for about two decades. We're a core of between 15 and 20 volunteers. I, at raceday, have been doing the track announcing. I've depended on Ron Mosher to spot individual races. I, as most of the volunteers, don't run a car. During the year and days before the race we all pitch in. The idea so far is to amass a list so that those wanting to receive a F.A.S.T. newsletter can do so via email. So those of you on this thread who wish to receive a periodic email containing events photos, technical articles and classifieds may do so by forwarding your email to Ron and Carol Mosher.

13. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey Dawg,
    THANKS for the information , and for your Club taking up the mantle/job of carrying on FAST ! I’ll join to support your efforts !

Old Dawg, BeaverMatt and Dustyp489 like this.
  14. I forgot to mention that 400 email respondents must be recorded before the effort of a News Letter can move forward. I don't know who or why that number was selected. I'll know more after the next meeting; which probably will take place within the next six weeks!

15. noboD

noboD

So how do we know where to send the email?

16. 5280A2

5280A2

Here's a photo of the postcard that was sent out for those that would like to respond. The e-mail address for Ron Mosher is near the bottom.

Fast 2021.JPG

Old Dawg likes this.
  17. briphaeton

briphaeton
    from cal

How much is the membership?

18. Spotted in Temecula this morning BC9DA6F7-2F63-4D36-8962-8AB1057227BD.jpeg

hotrodfil, Old Dawg, burl and 7 others like this.
  19. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hmm,
    That wouldn’t be a Victoria... by any chance !
    Only grape fields in Temecula... I thot you don't drink.. ha !

20. 97

Interesting intake with DCOE Weber.

21. Drinking is a requirement for being on this site...
    No, not a Vicky, just a PU, Jim Brierly has worked on getting it back up to speed.
    Good to see him, Art and the rest of the 4E4 crew.

J

winduptoy and Old Dawg like this.
  22. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Oh yeah, the wide bed.
    I think he paid $100. to purchase it. You can tell how long he has owned it , by purchase price, eh !!
    Who owns/keeps a truck for 50 /70 years ????

Old Dawg likes this.
  23. 97

I have owned my roadster pickup since 1968! I was 13 when I got it, paid way less than $100.

Old Dawg likes this.
  24. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

Has any thought or discussion been made about a separate Banger Section vs one long continuous thread. I see alot of questions and subjects get lost in the thread. Thanks

25. So far any fee hasn't been discussed. Talk has been that donations and advertising might keep the the operation to zero cost! The "Group" is, so far, non-profit; sustaining itself on Time Trial entries and spectators. Of course, spectator revenues, which heretofore been a goodly source; may, if curtailed. cause entry fees to go up! Bottom line: submitting an email to the Mosher's isn't gonna cost anything!

26. Jiminy

Jiminy

We keep links to some posts/threads of important discussions in the first post in each monthly thread - if someone comes up with a subject which needs to be kept it is easy to add. There is also a page which has a link to each of the monthly threads going back to January 2006 https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/motor-banger-thread-links.161498/. Other than that, I suppose search is relied on instead of someone having the smarts and time to compile the important info in one place.

Old Dawg, winduptoy and Fabber McGee like this.
  27. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

I think it's working fine. Starting a new thread each month keeps it from being 3,000 pages long.

Old Dawg and winduptoy like this.
  28. Then why ask for a minimum of 400 folks interested?

John

Old Dawg likes this.
  29. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

In order to attract advertising, you need to have X number of participants...I think 400 is ok

Old Dawg likes this.
  30. Denis,
    Yeah, that makes sense. With a nominal membership fee and the advertising it should cover the cost of printing a magazine. Probably not monthly, but even a quarterly one would be a good move.

John

Old Dawg likes this.