Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Painting over Gibbs oil

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hemi Joel, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

The instructions for Gibbs oil say you can use it to prevent rust, then just simply wipe if off when you are ready and paint over it. I'm going to have a steel tube frame sandblasted, then work on it for a month or two before painting, so I want a rust preventive that is not a pain at paint time.
    Does anyone have experience with painting after Gibbs?

Thanks, Joel

2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Try it on a test sample first. The word "oil" makes me a doubter.
    I would first spray some GIBBS on a clean piece of sheet metal. wipe it off and then apply your primer to see what happens.

I think you can paint directly over OSPHO. Do a search.

Hemi Joel likes this.
  3. BJR

BJR

I would wipe it down with wax and grease remover first, before you paint it. Why take chances.

Hemi Joel likes this.
  4. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

gibbs is great just use a standard prep-sol (wax n greese remover ) before you paint has no silicones so youll be good to go
    fabricator john
    miss you dad

Hemi Joel likes this.

5. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

How does an oil not contaminate the pores of the metal?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    Cosmo49 and Hemi Joel like this.
  6. My body/paint guy is ultra anal about bringing any oil or silicone product into his shop. When I brought a couple cans of Gibbs into the shop to do my 34 body he was very comfortable with it....said it was the only product he'd allow in the door. When I got the body home [8 years later] I wiped it down with a rag and lacquer thinner and blew a coat of urethane primer on it. No lifting anywhere...success!
    34andme12_14.jpg

Tim, Special Ed, brando1956 and 4 others like this.
  7. 5window

5window

You can't say "8 years later" and not tell the tale! :)

Hemi Joel likes this.
  8. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Thanks for the replies, fella's that just the info I needed!

9. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

Blasting and powdercoat primer is pretty good too. Just sand/grind the primer off where you are doing work. After you're done, you can spot prime your worked areas then paint it. I have never used Gibbs, but as a painter, oiling anything I planned on painting makes me cringe.

Frankie47 likes this.
  10. brando1956

brando1956

Perfect chop on your '34.

Hemi Joel likes this.
  11. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I don't think Gibbs is really oil. THey don't call it oil, but everyone else does. It must be some type of polymer or something.

Special Ed likes this.
  12. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

They are not saying to paint over Gibbs Brand as a whole. But that you can paint over it with out having to remove it by just cleaning/ prepping the area to paint by the paint manufacturer's recommendation.
    I have personally painted over Gibbs by cleaning the surface as normal.

Painting over Gibbs Brand
    The label on a can of Gibbs Brand says that "you can paint right over it". However, common sense will tell you not to paint over an oily surface that isn't clean.

To paint metal that has been treated with Gibbs Brand, simply begin by wiping it down with whatever surface cleaner is recommended by the manufacturer of the particular paint system that you are using, and proceed as you normally would.

Due to the tremendous variety of ingredients that are used in paints, it is not possible to be absolutely certain that Gibbs Brand is compatible with every paint on the market. However, we are not aware of any compatability issues with any particular paint.

Roadsters.com

13. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

My car sat for years in a garage after blasting and had very minimal surface rust. Used 1 part distilled vinegar to 4 parts distilled water and a scotch bright pad. Looked new again. I don’t think it’ll rust that fast.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Back when I was building Brookville 32 roadsters for customers I always wiped the bare metal bodies and frames down with Gibbs and never had any customer complaints about painting them later.

15. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Depending on how it gets blasted it might not rust. I had a set of fenders blasted with rust preventative in it, and no rust on them 5 years later. I also do dustless blasting and I put a rust preventative in it, helps protect the metal from rusting.

Tony

Hemi Joel likes this.
  16. Wipe it down multiple times before you paint it. Turn the heat up, let the frame get warm and wipe it down some more. Then when you're ready to paint, stop, and wipe it down again. It's not worth taking the risk.

ClarkH, Just Gary and 5window like this.
  17. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^ Yep. I kept the body of my car coated in Gibbs while undergoing work, reapplied periodically. When it came time to paint, did what @Lloyd's paint & glass said: multiple wipe-downs with wax and grease remover. Used old white T-shirts: when the rags came clean, I figured I was good. Gave a final wipe with water and then painted single-stage. No problems whatsoever; still good after 3 years.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO