Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1932 ford frame and spring with 46 ford banjo

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by busyhornet, Feb 26, 2021.

Tags:
  1. busyhornet

busyhornet

Howdy hot Rodders. I have a question about a 32 ford frame and stock 32 ford rear spring. I have an old 46 banjo that has been completely rebuilt by an ole fella who ran sprint cars. Will the 32 ford stock spring mate up to the 46 ford banjo. I have talked with several older fellas and they say yes. Some say no. what are y’all’s thoughts. I was told a 1940 ford front spring will work and not much grinding on the spring to fit into the 32 ford stock cross member. I remember my father had a banjo with the 32 spring and it did ride kinda rough. any input would be welcome. Thanks hot rodders

2. alchemy

alchemy

The late axle into a 32 frame with a 32 spring will require shorter hangers, at an angle. Take a look at your spring and see how it curves to the front. You could weld different hangers onto your axle. Or use the 46 spring with a bit of notch ground off it up where it fits into the curved crossmember. There's pics somewhere here on the HAMB.

3. Have to remember a '46 axle hangs from the shackles and requires a Panhard bar.

Could torch off the '46 hangers and weld them on wider apart, closer to the axle, and twist the eyes to match the '32 spring. Aftermarket hangers would work, too.

The '46 banjo is also a couple inches wider; which may or not make a difference on what you are building.

4. DeucemanLt1

DeucemanLt1

I had a 32 3 window with a 41 rear and 32 spring. I had no problems with it. I used the original shackles.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

stillrunners likes this.

5. busyhornet

busyhornet

Would the 46 spring ride better than the 32

6. busyhornet

busyhornet

The hangars are different than the 32 correct? The 32 spring is mated up to the 46 now with shackles. Would it cause a severe geometry problem? I do have a 46 spring I could use also. I also have heard that a 1940 front spring can be used also. any idea if this is true?

7. busyhornet

busyhornet

Thanks fellas for the replies

8. alchemy

alchemy

Sure the 46 spring would ride better than the 32, just because they were making better springs. They tapered the ends more, and I think had more leaves which could be tuned to give a better ride by removing or adding. But, you could do the same things with a 32 spring if you ground the ends so they slid nicely.

9. The '46 spring eyes are further from the axle than the '32 hangers. If you use the '32 spring on the '46 axle it would put the axle centerline forward of the correct location. (the '46 hangers are also square to the axle and the shackles are probably twisted with the deuce curved spring hooked up).

If you grind the '46 spring to fit the '32 crossmember the axle will end up in the right place.

Probably would still need a Panhard bar for lateral control due to the '46 set-up.

Not up on the '40 front spring; but I would believe the spring hangers would be too far apart.

stillrunners likes this.
  10. busyhornet

busyhornet

ok that makes plenty of sense. Now are the 1940 spring hangars the same as 1946? Just curious for the knowledge because a buddy was asking me and I told him I believe they are the same( 40 & 46) please correct me if I am wrong. hey I’m a humble guy

11. busyhornet

busyhornet

Yes sir another fella here told me that as well thank you very much

12. busyhornet

busyhornet

May I ask why the 46 is different than a 40. Or a 32? Was it because the bones are shorter than the 40 ? Just curious for more knowledge.

13. busyhornet

busyhornet

Yes the shackles have a slight curve now

14. busyhornet

busyhornet

I will take a photo when I get off work

15. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I'm interested in this. I have a '40 rear end and was told that to make the spring fit all it takes is a little grinding on th expiring at th stop to make it fit the '32 spring pocket. I also heard something about the '40 front spring as well.

16. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The 40 front spring is far too short to match the mounting centerline of anything from 35 to 48.

17. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well that's what I had thought but I see that info comes up from time to time.

18. busyhornet

busyhornet

Yeah I’m pretty sure I read that in my dads old hot rod magazine. I’ve been looking around the shop and house trying to find it

19. busyhornet

busyhornet

Thank you I’ll ding into this tonight this will help

20. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

isn't the 46 rear end too wide for a 32?

RICH B likes this.
  21. '41-'46 springs eyes are 46-3/4" on center while earlier spring eyes are 48" on center.

Since the eyes are closer together the shackles don't have as much control over side-to-side motion which necessitates the need for a Panhard bar; such as Ford started using in '42 (for that reason).

'32 perch eyes were closer to the axle and used a curved spring; but the axle centerline to crossmember centerline is the same as the '35 up axles with the strait spring and eyes further from the axle. That is why grinding a straight spring to fit a deuce crossmember put the later axle in right place.

If you use a '32 spring on a late axle it will put the axle too far ahead.

Wishbones have nothing to do with any of this.

The narrower width '40 front springs are sometimes used with late model axles where there is not enough room between the backing plates to puts the spring mounts at 48" eye to eye.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  22. Really doesn't take much.

23. busyhornet

busyhornet

It’ll a channeled coupe

24. busyhornet

busyhornet

Ah ok that makes sense about the spring and the eyes. I do remember taking a 46 spring off and it was not as stubborn as a 32 spring. Thanks for the lesson Rich. Some of the ford stuff. An be confusing sometimes.

25. busyhornet

busyhornet

26. busyhornet

busyhornet

My dad built this hot rod in 1955 and finished it in 1957 drove it to Memphis Catholic High School his senior year.

Attached Files: