Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Old Medium Duty Truck Transmissions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Forward Look Frank, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Are there any wrecking yards or parts sources out there for Medium Duty Trucks? I'm looking for a 57-58 Dodge NP540 for a 1.5-2.5 Ton and can't seem to find one anywhere. I've tried the power wagon folks and still no luck. There has to be somewhere/someone out there, I guess I just haven't asked the right questions. Let me know if you have any info. Thanks!

2. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Maybe it might help if you TOLD US WHERE YOU ARE LOCATED???

3. Maryland. Shipping is always an option so I usually don't bother mentioning it.

4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Hemming's Motor News for wrecking yards that specialize in trucks? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

5. SS327

SS327

Too bad you don’t need one for a Chevy I’m up to my neck with those!

6. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Look for other applications. The NP540 was fairly rare, much more so than it's 4 speed sibling, the NP435. The good news is all the manufacturers used them in medium duty applications. Look out for school buses, small dump trucks, flatbeds, etc in the Class 4, 5, and 6 sizes. You should be able to find one, IH, Ford, Ma-Mopar, and Chebbie all used it in one form or the other. Hopefully the input shafts and bolt pattern are close enough that you can adapt another brand to your Dodge.

You might want to check these guys out. they have had listings for NP 540's in the past.

https://www.vanderhaags.com/index.php

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  7. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

P-15 D-24 website go to the truck forum and ask for junkyards and such.

Forward Look Frank likes this.
  8. Thanks for the advice. Still hoping someone out there has one in a field with the motor long gone and the trans in tact. SS327, are any of those 540s from the late 50s/early 60s? There may be some interchange. Thanks.

mitch 36 likes this.
  9. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Look up Moore’s auto salvage in Rapid City South Dakota. They specialize in old mopars. They ask top dollar but it’s worth a try.

10. Joel W

Joel W

I will check out a couple I have, not sure if they are 435 or 540. One is 57 dodge, other is in a 63' with 361 in front.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Thank you very much. I appreciate it.

12. Hello, I've been trying to privately message you but haven't had any luck. Any luck with the 540 verification? No rush, just curious. Thanks.

13. Due to the Scammer situation you will not be able to PM anyone until you have 10 posts. Keep going and you will get there. Thank me and you will have 8.

14. Good Morning. Thank you my friend, I truly appreciate it!

15. Don't stop now! Keep going. Tell us more about your project.

Hnstray likes this.
  16. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Did you check craigslist? I hauled a chevy 540 for free home. I know some new parts becoming scarce for this unit.

17. Thanks for asking. Yes, I've been cruising the area and beyond but haven't been able to come up with one. I spoke with a fellow at Carlisle that stated he had a few to sell but hardly ever returns my calls or emails and when he does, he states he's not sure if he wants to sell. I found another in California but the owner gave it to a friend and the friend isn't even sure if he wants to use it. Driving myself nuts. I'm sure once I get one, I'll find three more closer, cheaper and in better condition. Isn't that the way it always works? Thanks again.

18. rusty valley

rusty valley

you should have your general location in your avatar, there could be one close by

19. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

What is wrong with the one you have? Or is it missing?

Bones

Boneyard51 likes this.
  21. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

Don't be afraid to look at all 540's. The trans part probably hasn't changed much. I swapped some shafts and re-drilled bolt patterns on a 435 once. It was pretty easy, case was thick enough you could have put a stud just about anywhere. Mike

Boneyard51 likes this.
  22. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I guess you know some Five speeds have different ratios that others and most five speeds are still direct in high gear, just like your three speed. There are some five speed in this era that did have the fifth gear an overdrive. They are scarce! I bought a whole truck, just to get one for my 428 CJ powered long wheel base one ton, with 4:10 rear gears. It came with a pto to power my Braden winch.... got luckily.

Bones

AccurateMike likes this.
  23. 62SY4

62SY4
    from Irwin, Pa

You would probably be better served on the ATHS American Truck Historical Society or ATCA Antique Truck Club of America sites. I know of several NP 540/541/542 in a small local junk yard, all are GM or Ford applications. It would take some digging in a Hollander to figure out what you could use.

Hnstray and Boneyard51 like this.
  25. You have 11 posts now so you should be able to PM members directly now.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  26. rusty valley

rusty valley

generally speaking, anytime high gear in the shift pattern is towards the dashboard, its an overdrive tranny

Boneyard51 likes this.
  27. Good to go. Thanks!!!

28. 57 D100 Long Bed. Has a poly 315. Converting to a hemi with a 57 Super D500 intake package. Very well optioned truck, considering the time and availability. Just want to go through it and make it a relevant reliable hauler when I go to home depot for house projects.

vtx1800 and warhorseracing like this.
  29. Thank you very much. I've been trying to find a hollander that covers medium duty trucks.

30. Studebakers loved them. My 1956 1/2 ton is one of two that were ordered with the 5 sp overdrive. The mate to mine showed up in Denver a few years ago and was for sale. Have a few with most if not all being 5sp overdrive - the 5sp direct drive was also an option. Not sure about shipping but it would be from Dallas, Tx.