Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Henry Steel or not

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ford72, Feb 7, 2021.

1. mike stead

mike stead
    from oakley ca.

my 32 tudor is all steel, i have a 33 ford roadster that is glass its all about what you like both are great cars.

2. mike stead

mike stead
    from oakley ca.

realy like the stance of your tudor..

3. mike stead

mike stead
    from oakley ca.

very nicely put i totally agree

jnaki likes this.
  4. -Brent-

-Brent-

Yes. It's just repaired.

Just like a Brookville or UP with original parts would still be a Brookville or UP.

5. I won't even attempt to answer that, too many restorers around here any more. But I will tell you a story.

Back around '01 or '02 there was a Good Guys rep that had the worlds sweetest Deuce roadster. He tossed a fan blade into his original (was NOS before he put coolant into it) radiator which I repaired for him. Literally everything on the car was original Henry with the exception of the body which was glass. He ever used old leather upholstery out of a hot rod deuce. No one ever questioned if it was a steel roadster or not, I would not have guessed except that he offered me a ride in it after the rad repair. I knew it was glass when I got in and the door closed.

So perhaps the answer to your question is not if it is original Henry steel or if you can pull it off that counts.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    redoxide and jim snow like this.
  6. chopped

chopped

Henry mutt

7. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

It is 2021 cant go back in time and buy quarter panels. Unless you drive a amc gull wing. Although that would be cool there are a lot of cars I want to buy and bring them back with me so if you are going bring me with you. .......I say henry steel ......all the way the only way it wouldn't be is if you replaced the whole body. If a car has ghost it is real

Sent from my LM-Q720 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

redoxide likes this.
  8. As I said on another post, "ask a replica Duesenberg owner if his car is a Duesenberg he's gona say Yes.

redoxide likes this.
  9. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Out of all Henry 1932 FoMoCo that have survived, I would say Less then 1% is all Original body Metal. If you had or have a Original body , perfect body No patch panels and you cut /chop its a Original Steel body.

But it you unchop , repair ,replace skins ,panels.

Its a Ford body but not ""Original".
    Im in that Category with my two.

big duece likes this.
  10. I remember an ad.
    “All original 32 Ford. 350/350, 9 inch rear, TCI chassis, disc brakes, Boyd wheels.

Tman, Beanscoot and Maicobreako like this.
  11. brando1956

brando1956

If it's substantially the same body with some replacement panels I don't see why it isn't Henry steel. Who know what a 90 year old car has gone through in it's life. It could have been wrecked and repaired with aftermarket panels years ago. It's a hot rod and a deuce on top of that for gosh sakes! It was made to be hot rodded. My desktop wallpaper is the Doane Spencer roadster. I wouldn't care if it was real Henry or not, it's bitchin.

I'm sure others on here on envious of such a find. I live in the frozen North where, as Neil Young pointed out, rust never sleeps. I'm 64 years old and spent a lot of time in junkyards. I NEVER saw a deuce or anything comparable in the local yards. They got eaten up by rust, jalopy races, and the crusher. They aren't just rare, they are nonexistent. I've traveled in Arizona and New Mexico and was amazed at the beautiful vintage tin running around out there. I stopped by a local junkyard in AZ and wished I had a biiiigggg truck to haul a bunch home. Most of the bodies on those cars were better than the shit we drive around here!

I've never understood the obsession with pure originality like the muscle car guys with their chalk marks and overspray, etc. or the antique guys who want it perfectly original down to the air in the tires. When it gets to that point many become a show car hauled around on a trailer to preserve its' originality and value. It's a car and made to be driven and if it's a hot rod, driven hard.

By the same token I have no respect for the guys that misrepresent non-original as the original article.
    If I were selling something I knew had repair panels on it I would make sure the seller knew exactly what was done and how, provide step by step photos if I did the work, and put it in writing so as not to be blamed by a future buyer who got lied to by the guy I sold it to.

I'd keep all the original tin that was repairable and use replacement panels as necessary. Some of the guys on here have amazing fabricating skills, but not all of us posses that. I pore over the build threads (big props to Squirrel) and learn a lot but I'm too old to catch up so the skill level they display so I do what I can with what I've got.

Fix it, drive it, and enjoy it while those of us without a deuce eat our hearts out! Be sure to post a build thread if you choose to embark on this mad adventure. If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

Chicster likes this.
  12. I don't care. 34floors1_09small.jpg 34 5_20.jpg

Tman, Just Gary, redoxide and 8 others like this.
  13. clem

clem

definitely ! ......... just not by a lot.......
    But something I have noticed with these threads is, no body cares if all the accessories are aftermarket.
    Headlights and bar, tail lights, door handles, etc , - nobody cares.
    Windscreen frames, - Reproduction hoods with 3 rows of louvres don’t seem to affect value much.
    Repo grille shells and inserts on soooo many cars....
    Original body on reproduction chassis........

Chicster and anthony myrick like this.
  14. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

You are all wrong right their. It drives me nuts when people build a car with 1-800 new parts. Why take off a set of original bumpers that are in good shape and buy new cause it`s cheaper than replating the originals. People want perfection and I like a bit of originality left in an older car. All I see is old cars with new cheaply made new parts installed. People think they are making it look better. All I see is a lady with make up, a new outfit and a wig.

crazycasey, -Brent- and 19Eddy30 like this.
  15. I like a lady with makeup, new outfit and a wig.
    Hopefully the outfit is a size or 2 smaller than it should be and the wig is of the Dolly Pardon variety
    2F25738C-33C8-4810-9129-7582562BF462.jpeg

Chicster, stanlow69 and Maicobreako like this.
  16. clem

clem

I think what you’re saying is that you, - like myself - and a lot of Hambers, would rather spend time and effort to fix a part rather than buy it new. That’s what I enjoy.
    I spent hours restoring headlights and door handles, rather than buying new, which would have got me on the road quicker and cheaper.
    I have repo cowl lights, (free, and because we need indicators) mirrors and taillights on this, - everything else is rebuilt or hand built.
    The bottom 6” was rebuilt and 1 x 1/4 panel rolled up in 1993. Lots of fibreglass filler used.
    When people ask whether glass or steel ?- I say a bit of both.
    When they ask what year ? - I say 1932 and 1993 4B83C4DF-C4BB-4C31-9A71-13B2BCD95CCB.jpeg

17. reefer

reefer

I think the Brookville and CP bodies are licences by Ford... so I guess they are aftermarket spare parts and as such may be considered more original than hand made panels.... if it matters that much.

redoxide and clem like this.
  18. My question is who would run bumpers on a deuce? Well maybe if it was a resto rod. :D :D

I am certainly not beyond repairing a bumper for a car that is going to have them. I have even repaired stainless (or aluminum) trim for cars that were going to have trim. But finding a place to re-plate a part is not what it once was. I think that one of the things that started the monochrome craze was the lack of platers here in the US.

All that said the question at hand is not if one is willing to repair the bumpers its about replacing non-repairable body panels.

Now just to throw another fly into the ointment. Suppose the body panel has some rust and some industrious body man decides to lead it in. Does that count as original Henry steel? I know it would not pass scrutiny at Pebble beach but we are hot rodders, right? :)

crazycasey and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  19. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

The majority of the people that are on the HAMB are car people. Not Traditional Hot Rod and Traditional Custom folk. There is a big difference.

Chicster likes this.
  20. guy1unico

guy1unico

When you buy a deuce do you ask yourself ..1st question.
    Is this a real Henry car?
    So yes it makes a difference.

21. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

Once again if a car has ghost it's a Henry ford. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. Try and argue with that!#!#

Sent from my LM-Q720 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. .......and then there are guys like me who were not able to find Henry parts like quarters for a model 40 ford. After 8 years in bodyshop jail I went for new repro stuff. My body was old #72, jalopy racer and every panel except the top and the door jambs 34rearsectionb_4.JPG 34rquarter1.jpg was unusable, total junk and then the body was sat out in the trees for 20 years. I don't feel bad at all for using some repro metal....I can't believe I actually allowed myself to be drawn into this pointless discussion..

crazycasey, Tman, redoxide and 3 others like this.
  23. Budget36

Budget36

I wonder in the future will it be “if I patch a Brookville body, is it still Brookville?”
    Not that I have the funds, but if I had a choice of two cars, one a Brookville and one a Ford bodied car with patches and the price were the same, I’d go with the Ford.
    Thing is the Brookville would probably be better.

Other thing, just make you panels out of Ford vehicles;)

clem likes this.
  24. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Most that look @ a 32
    (& other Ford years)will not Know the difference Between FoMoCo body,
    Same with Mopar GM .
    The ones that do know you can spot a Replacement steel Panel or Body!!
    No matter if Brook (3w/Road or UP 5w they are NOT identical stampings like they stated .
    ""Made Like Original"
    Metal ga different , body line edges, fitment & other .
    Close but No Cigar!!
    Like steel fender (4) $2500 & still have to spend 40hr plus in labor to fit correctly,
    & Bead is Not correct .
    There are patch panes in mine .
    With all the technology we have nowadays, I cannot believe nobody can make a perfect replacement stamping.
    Their are People that would Pay the cost no matter if they could afford it or not.

25. I guess part of the problem is the inconsistency of the ford body.
    Even Henry fenders have bead issues side to side in the front. I have made patterns for patch panels from one side and found the other side to be as muck as 1/4 to 3/8 difference in length.
    I have measured doors and found 1/8 inch difference in length. A friend of mine has a neat measuring system where you can compare side to side measurements. It’s amazing how different these old bodies are from side to side.
    A copy is only as bad or good as the original. I guess the b-ville guys did the best they could with the imperfection they started with.
    I’ve built a couple of their bodies and for a hot rod they’re hard to beat.
    I built what the customer wanted and let the purist argue amongst themselves.
    I have spent countless hours fixing inconstant gaps and beads in both.
    B-Ville and UP should be proud of both their products and providing a quality option for 32 enthusiasts.
    I guess the only argument issue would be cost.
    Aftermarket and OE 32 stuff is priced out of reach for the average guy.

redoxide likes this.
  26. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

I appreciate Brook & UP , they get old 32 up & going , Alot of 32 where lost to WWII & dirt tack racing.
    Brook / UP there parts Really fit there cars ,
    I just want to warn People that are Limited to skills or tools these body's are Not the same or Assembled the way Ford did it or Fitment.
    Seen as much 3/8s to 1/2 off Brook/ UP.

4 other Guys & Me have access to quite a few Ford FoMoCo 32s
    3 Sed,
    6 5w
    3 road
    3 3w
    &
    1 Brook 32 3w ,
    2 Brook 32 roadster
    2 UP 5w .

Fords bodys are Not same from side to side , But the Fords fit each other better, unless cars where wrecked severely.
    All the Fords parts pretty much same fitment ,

Brook dashed fit the Brook cars ,but not a good fit in the Fords or UP bodys .
    Same on UP dash .
    The Brook Cowl replacement top lid would not fit Ford or UP , to big.
    Same with UP to small for Ford & Brook.
    Brook & UP bodys are Not weld or assemble The same places as Ford Bodys
    Missing spot welds in door jam , dash ,cowl ,trunk A & B pillar , Missing Rivets holes & Locations.
    No tack nails , Wood is way off from Originals .
    Just Like Cowl vent top ,there are 4 styles, The only One reproduced /made is the Most complex to make.
    Window Garnishes , Ford fit the Fords
    But Not the UP .
    UP rear window regulator is not correct
    List is Long .
    I have had Every Placement part that United Pacific makes for 1932 5w in my hands as of July 2020 except door frames.

Ford 32 FoMoCo body /parts will hold there Value as long as there is Gas & Oil
    & Big Brother say out of things,
    Brook / UP Are just Look A-likes,
    But if you have a ""Look A- Like ""
    that great !!! Your dream car Very expensive for what you pay for to have.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    Just Gary likes this.
  27. Helped assemble 2 b-ville roadsters a 2 3ws from pieces.
    The boss used a Ford cowl in one and fit well. The worst part was the right door on one was way off. I removed the skin and reworked the flanges.
    Used a b-ville deck on a Ford body. Fit good. Had to slightly shrink the edges to correct the contour. Did similar on the b-vile body.
    Never swapped doors or dashes between the two.
    We sold a set of Ford fenders and used b-ville fenders cause they fit that particular car better and saved a lot of metal work.
    Haven’t touched a UP other than looking at em. I wonder how their truck doors fit a Ford cab.
    I guess anyone expecting parts to fit out of the box like a new car is living in a fantasy world.
    Or for old cars to have consistent gaps like new cars.

redoxide likes this.
  28. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This leans up on a subject that usually stops a convo quickly because what is the real answer.

Short story, let's say your eccentric uncle had a genuine Tiger Gold tri-power 4 spd Royal Bobcat. The holy grail of all GTOs (and HAMB approved, but insert anything). He parked it in his dirt floor shed, low miles, little care, the floors and 1/4s rotted out but the interior, frame, axles, engine, trans, all still there and really nice right down to the chalk marks, but the body got wet in the back and rotted the floors and 1/4s away. Do you,

A: buy up a bunch of 'import' patch panels and try to rebuild it

B: find a solid western never hit or rusted shell, strip it to bare, move EVERYTHING to this perfect GENERAL MOTORS body shell built as they did it.

If you chose 'B' is it still "Uncle Wally's" legit Tiger Gold Royal Bobcat? Is it now a clone? If you chose 'A' how can you ever raise a right hand to the car's genuine GM foundation? Back in those days if an expensive car was stuffed in the ass one of the approved collision repairs was to "clip" the car. Cut the ass end off and graft a donor to it to save the car and the insurance company paid for it. Today the fear mongers would seldom to never allow it but us that have been around have actually seen the process a time or 10. So is Uncle Wally's car still with us or is it gone forever? To me, 'B' all day any day. I'd have restored this icon to a standard far above using import patch panels, I'd actually have a shell contructed of the same materials on the same fixtures and meeting the production standard of the day. So then comes the question, where does the car begin or end? How crazy can you get examining a process? What next, unless you use period materials and period process and conditions it's not "real"? Does this mean shitty lighting, no TIG welds, old lacquer (good luck finding it), old spray equipment, old cloth or vinyl? This life has limits and they're not consequential to the end result. If you're doing this as a job do what you're asked or paid to do, but if it's for yourself do whatcha gotta do. My 39 is original paint. Gonna stay that way too, but I will indeed clean up and repair some surface rusted areas and repair the crack in the front fender. I'll blend it out in lacquer (I have some;) )and treat it as if I was keeping my old gennie car looking good. Guess what, I'll still call it original paint, because it is and I can't find rust in the old Ford parts books or any references to NEVER repair the finish in the service manuals. See what I mean? Where does it stop, start.

No matter what you want to think, even though a goat can be a ram and a donkey an ass, a ram in the ass is still a goose. Just sayin...

brando1956 and Chainsaw chipper like this.
  29. redoxide

redoxide

The lifespan of this hobby and that of the classic car hobby are limited. It wont be too long before the legislators limit usage , modified fuels will see more cars drop off the spectrum and lots of us older fellas will pop our clogs .. Worrying if an old Ford is a 100% genuine old Ford is a waste of energy . Best to fix them up as best you can from whats available, make it neat make it cool and drive and enjoy it whatever label you feel the need to give it . Building stuff is where its at .. not worrying about it being 100% Ford originality, UNLESS you are a points scoring concourse competitor with a super competitive streak ..
    Build them, get them done and get out in them while things last . Oh and keep them affordable so you can offload them before the axeman cometh.. last bit sounds a bit mercenary but be honest, who want to be the old fella sitting on a bunch of worthless scrap, even if it is 100% genuine Henry steel !

30. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

thats For sue!!!!
    No seat belts , no airbag , A little Light to tell you that somebody's near you, and list goes on,,,
    We will be forced to
    ""Electric Motors""