Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical cutting windshield

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fastcar1953, Feb 24, 2021.

1. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Anyone know a place to get windshields cut in Missouri ? I can get side windows cut just no luck on windshield.
    I tried cutting glass myself. Old glass didn't cut well. I'm not going to try new glass.

2. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

It's a 54 chevy car with curved glass. I've tried local and a few of their ideas , no luck finding anyone yet. Someone has to have had it done.

3. I've heard of guys that have masked their windshield with duct tape except for the cut line, and then used a sandblaster to cut the curved glass. I've never done it myself, and I can appreciate your reluctance to go at the new glass. But, anybody that says they'll do it for you won't guarantee success either.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  4. Think I would get my hands on a junk windshield,and teach myself. Find some sort of thin cut off wheel with diamonds,or carbide in it.,and use a high speed grinder. Wear a real good respirator face mask since that fine dust is bad news.May be run water over the cut to keep dust down.Cut it down several times for practice.When you feel like you mastered it do your good glass.Since its laminated theres plastic in the middle so ask a glass shop how to seal the edges after the cut.

'51 Norm and juan motime like this.

5. I can share some experience with you, I had a local glass shop agree to cut my glass but there was absolutely no guarantees, if it broke it's not their fault and I agreed, two windshields broke before the third was cut to perfection.

Cutting curved glass is risky at best, I watch him cut all there and he did nothing different when removing the excess glass after the initial cut, but twice a crack ran across the windshield. HRP

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  6. When i chop a car i do the glass too, so does the guy that chopped the top recommend anybody to cut your glass? I'm sure he knows somebody since he does the fab work. Danny is correct, there is a certain amount of luck involved. I've probably cut 20 that came out perfect with one piece of glass, and i can think of 3 right off that took me more than 1 to get it cut. Cut straight lines, creep up on your finished dimension 1" at a time, and use your belt sander to finish any tight curves.

egads and irishsteve like this.
  7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Ideally a water jet would do it nice but I have read here on the HAMB that sand blasting is pretty reliable.

LAROKE likes this.
  8. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try. I have 2 old windshields but I want to install a new one.

9. Rooster72

Rooster72

All great info i'll some day use , thanks all

10. egads

egads

11. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

This has to be the best video that I have seen for glass cutting.

1934coupe likes this.
  12. oldskool.

oldskool.
    from florida

If your planning on chopping the car in your profile it might be much easier to buy a new hardtop/ convertible windshield. They are 2" lower than your sedan.

13. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

If you sandblast or use a cut off wheel the heat WILL brake the glass, don’t ask me how I know. Water jet goods like a good idea.