Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ribbed exhaust pipe- how would you duplicate this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tuck, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

when people are asking for the look of the old stuff and this stuff comes up it is not even in the same ball park.

yea it would cost alot to make the screw type.

a more authentic look could be had with the pep boys flex tubing if the lead and tail of the pipe where the same diameter of the out sides of the ripples.

2. lionsgarage

lionsgarage
    from Washington

The ribs are from the inside out, so to build them is possible maybe even stainless, take a long heavy wall pipe that will fit snug inside the tube you want to rib, drill say 3 or 4 holes radially around the end that you can fit the size of steel ball into (whatever the rib size is) then force a tapered cone against the steel ball from inside the heavy wall pipe to force the balls out thus making the ribs, of coarse you would need to turn the tube in a lathe or turn the pipe inside. but with some lube is looks like a rib would form quickly. different size balls=different size ribs, anyone want to go into business?

3. KIRK!

KIRK!

Stainless rippled pipes are G A Y.

[​IMG]

I hear a tool is already in the works as a new product.

4. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

grate now everyone is going to have ribbed piping... Thanks KIRK and Alex for messing
    it all up ...:D

pepboys
    [​IMG]

5. boldventure

boldventure

JC Whitney part #7X214043A sounds like the stuff.

6. jaxx

jaxx

Make friends with someone that works for a company that installs sprinkler systems in buildings for fire protection - that trade has a machine that puts ribs into pipe - it uses a threader machine and an adjustable roller to make the grove for there locking flange - it will be able to make what ever size and spacing of groves you want - jaxx

7. glorydays123

glorydays123
    from dallas

Two 18" sections for my bike. Hugh difference in pep boys and the real deal.. Richard Reyes makes the stuff... Check his blog out..

http://calmodified.blogspot.com

[​IMG]

8. myke

myke
    from SoCal

Cool stuff. I would have used that instead of the superior if I had it. But i am happy with the stuff I used.

Now I am going to have to change my pipes because everyone is going to have ripple pipes. I wonder if it will carry over to other parts. 2008 the year of ripple details!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Myke - more pics of the bike, please. Instead of changing the pipes, maybe just sell it to me? vic

10. It's possible to do this with a blacksmith technique called "upsetting" . It would take awhile and require some practice . I've never tried it on thin wall tubing but theoretically it would work . If anyone is interested I will explain further .

11. converseandbowlingshirts

converseandbowlingshirts
    from Eugene, OR

How about taking a pipe cutter and dulling the shit out of the cutting wheel to get this look?[​IMG]

12. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

um, yea

lets hear it... maybe its own thread tho... :D

13. KIRK!

KIRK!

It almost works. You really need a specially shaped die.

14. hotrods316

hotrods316

Kirk did Alex make a special die or where can we get one? Any info on how he did it?

15. KIRK!

KIRK!

He did design a special die. Drop him a PM about it.

16. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Guys,if any of you are still looking for this stuff....I just posted a large lot of it in the classifieds section.

17. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

i tried this and had no luck,(yet)but when i figure it out i will let you all in on it!

18. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

nevermind i should have kept reading and maybe looked at the date!

19. I know this is an old thread but I just saw a link posted on another fabrication board and though that if some one can find a company with one of these machines they could make all sorts of cool ribbed pipe.

Just being helpful.
    Jaysin

20. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Did u ever build em?

21. I still have a couple hunks of the flex tube, but never used it.