Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Southeast Gassers 65 Comet Super Stock Wagon

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by southcross2631, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mike,

I felt kind of stupid "liking" your post, but I appreciated your remembrance of your mom. Please accept my deepest condolences. I will be praying for you and your family. Hang in there.

Steve

2. loudbang

loudbang

Sorry to hear about your mom. :( But she did have a good long run at life.

SS327 and Thor1 like this.
  3. Budget36

Budget36

My condolences as well.

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  4. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

I am so sorry about your mother. It doesn't matter how old you are it's tough to lose a parent. She did have a long life.

5. As @Thor1 said "I felt kind of stupid "liking" your post, but I appreciated your remembrance of your mom." My dad's 90 next month and the last month has really slowed him down. I can only anticipate now what you are going though, never having lost a parent myself. Every day we have with them at this stage of their lives is precious. My prayers for you and your family.

6. Very sorry for the loss of your mom. It is terrible to lose a parent, very hard.

Truckdoctor Andy, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  7. southcross2631

southcross2631

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers . Now to get back to work. Working on my trailer to install a winch . It is very hard on my clutch and my patience to try and let my wonderful wife guide me on the trailer.
    I like my clutch , but it is like a light switch . It is either on or off. Hard to slip. This way I can just pull to the ramps hook up the cable and push the button and watch it roll up onto the trailer .
    Have to leave Saturday morning and hope and pray that the predicted ice storm is long gone and Lloyd's driveway is not a sheet of ice.

8. Best of luck with the weather. Can't wait to see it when Lloyd had finished his magic on on.

9. southcross2631

southcross2631

After talking to Lloyd on the phone yesterday we have decided that towing up to Ky this weekend would be dangerous because of all of the freezing rain with snow on top of that. So we are just going to watch the weather and wait until there is a break from the storms and then haul it up there.
    In the meantime I am working on my trailer and doing a few things to the car. I moved the tach over so it is directly in front of the steering wheel to help improve the launches and the shift points until I get familiar enough with the car to shift by ear. Remember no shift lights allowed.
    I can start to fabricate the Thunderbolt crossmember and even if I don't switch to them it will give me a second driveshaft loop . I need to add some weight to the car anyway to make weight for the class.
    Especially if I get the funds to build a big bore 347 which is my ultimate goal for this car. That would mean an additional 123 lbs. on the car which would bring the total to 3496 with me in the car.

10. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Tachometers...ha.
    I had a 1950 Anglia years back that ran in the 9.80's on a good day. Small Chevy, T-400 trans.
    I could run within a thousands all day..."without" a tachometer. In the beginning, I didn't have the money for a good tach. So, I ran without one. Ran the car for just over 10 years.

A couple of friends kept bugging me to "put a tack in the car". I bought one of Autometers 5" face tach's, and like you say, put it right in front of me, partially into the windshield height. Can't miss it, right?
    All of a sudden, I couldn't make two runs within a tenth..! I found myself paying "too much" attention...to the tach. I tried to get used to it on a couple of different weekends, with no luck.
    I removed the tach., and all of a sudden, I was back to my old ways of getting a good string of runs within a coupla thousands.

If you have a good ear, but better a good feeling in your butt, for what the engine vibration is doing...

Mike

11. southcross2631

southcross2631

I am not running an automatic. I have 3 pedals in the car. It will only take a few runs to get the sound right. Not much vibration as my motor is balanced. Some of us are not drivers by choice.
    I got over the rush of driving a race car years ago. I have a car and I don't have a driver so I am it.
    My pleasure is building a car and getting the most out of it. If someone else steers the car that's one less thing I have to worry about.

catdad49, AHotRod, mad mikey and 7 others like this.
  12. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Well sure (in red above)...so was mine..!
    ALL engines have a resonance...or vibration. You just need to be sensitive to it.
    Two pedals, three pedals...no matter, you just need to move one more foot quickly. Being sensitive to the car is the same.
    I went through Frank Hawley's Funny car class years ago in Florida. Alcohol Hemi. No difference in idea, just a difference in vibration. Still the same. No tach. in those cars either, two speed trans., gotta shift'em.
    A LOT of fun by the way.

Mike

Thor1 likes this.
  13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

14. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Wow, sounds like you’ve been busy. I hope the weather cooperates with you.

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  15. glrbird

glrbird

Don’t worry, I think your on the right track. Racing an automatic is like slow motion compared to a 4 or 5 speed.

loudbang likes this.
  16. southcross2631

southcross2631

Talked to the guy who from Crites and he was very positive on my thoughts to run sliders on both ends of the leaf springs to eliminate the bind of 2 different length pivot points. We had a long talk and it had never been presented to him before and he said he didn't see why it wouldn't work.
    the guy from Calvert said he had never thought of that. He said when they built the Cal-Trac bars it took a lot of different designs and a lot of testing to make it work. He wants me to let him know if it works.
    so the gauntlet has been thrown down for me to actually try to make it work or not. So after the Florida race I will be doing some cutting and fitting.
    this weather is killing me. i can't get the car to Ky so Lloyd can start on it so I have been trying to help him out by doing some body work down here.

AHotRod, mad mikey, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  17. The weather is killing me too Mike! Power just went out. Looks like I'm about to head to the firehouse and sleep there :rolleyes:

loudbang likes this.
  18. southcross2631

southcross2631

Trying to help Lloyd. Finishing the sanding on door and fender on the driver side.
    Sorry about your power loss. There are millions of cold Americans out there this morning and our new president wants the oil companies to stop drilling. Go figure it was presidents day yesterday. 20210215_160659.jpeg

Sent from my SM-A505U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Same here, the weather won't let me play "car"! I'm bringing parts in to the kitchen to work on them there. At this rate I may end up building a Buick inside and knock a wall out to drive it out! Lloyd, be thankful you have a firehouse to go to. Mike, it looks like you have a warm garage to do some body work in.

loudbang likes this.
  20. glrbird

glrbird

A Buddy built the chassis for his 56 in a spare bedroom, bringing parts through the window. After finished he cut a large hole and rolled it out. The “LANDLORD” was not impressed. LOL

21. brianf31

brianf31

It will work. The only question is the length of the grooves in your slider brackets.

If you don't have CAD or don't want to do layout/graph work, this is the perfect application to build a scale model before you do all the hard work.

22. AHotRod

AHotRod

It will work Mike.
    Here is another view of the rear suspension design I use for you.

IMG_0229 (2).JPG

catdad49, brEad, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  23. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Who is Lloyd?.

Thor1 likes this.
  24. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Really?! Lloyd is....well....Lloyd is...Lloyd!:confused:o_O:eek::rolleyes:

Look about seven posts up from here and you can see his avatar. Lloyd is good people.:cool:

25. southcross2631

southcross2631

Lloyd is the man who generously offered to paint my car for having his shop name on my car for the SEGA season coming up starting in March.
    Everybody is going through a rough time right now because of the weather. Otherwise the car would have been at his shop last Saturday.
    I was not willing to risk towing to Ky in the middle of one of the worst storms in the history of this country. He had no electricity and luckily being a fireman could go to the fire hall and stay warm.
    We should all be saying a prayer for those folks in Texas who are in the cold without heat and running water.

OahuEli, catdad49, alanp561 and 8 others like this.
  26. glrbird

glrbird

There’s lots of us, things will start to get better this weekend. I have been fortunate to be on the same grid as a large medical complex and the water pumping station for it and this area. They don’t turn off the juice on those.

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  27. southcross2631

southcross2631

Burning through lots of sanding discs trying to help Lloyd out before we take the car up on Thursday.

28. southcross2631

southcross2631

Well, had the pleasure of meeting Lloyd today and trusting him with the Comet.
    We had a good visit and came away with a very positive feeling that the Comet will look exactly like we envisioned.
    He gifted us with 2 of his shops t-shirts so we can sport those at the races until our shirts are done.
    Talking to Cathy's nephew about an initial run of a 100 shirts. Just need a photo of the car with the lettering so they can do the artwork and get them printed . Thanks to the t-shirt company for helping out by consigning us the shirts so we can pay for them as they sell and not have to foot the bill up front for the shirts .Sort of a trade out for running their company logo on the car.
    Will be taking orders around the first week of April if any of the loyal followers of this thread are interested in purchasing a shirt.
    Another shout out to Brian and Tammy Ford. the owners of Ridgewood golf club in Athens, Tn. for signing on as a fuel sponsor for the 2021 season. As you know if you are a racer worrying about the cost of fuel for the truck and for the race car can add up to a considerable expense. Not having that expense will allow us to run all of the 11 races this season barring any major blow up that we can't afford to repair between races.
    We feel so blessed to have individuals who believe in us that we will run good and not do anything to hurt the reputation of the companies that help to get us to do what we love to do.

OahuEli, catdad49, saltflats and 14 others like this.
  29. That's the nicest thing anyone ever said about me :D man that little wagon is stout coming off the line. We won $800 last night;)

30. jim snow

jim snow

Sink it right back into the car.lol. Snowman