Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 51 shoebox dash removal, down to the two last screws. Help!

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jezaad, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Jezaad

Jezaad

I am going to install a new wiring harness.
    I am trying to remove the dash. Did some search here on the forum. But I can't find anything about the two screws that hold the parking brake. Seems that these are the last two that keep me from removing the dash.
    Or do I take of the handle and slide the dash over it?
    These two screws won't seem to come loose.
    Any suggestions? Am I missing something?

[​IMG]

2. Funny. I removed my ‘51 Tudor sedan dash a little over a year ago. Damn I can’t remember. I believe I poked my head under the dash and removed the nuts that are attached to those screws. I did unhook the parking brake cable at the junction under the car and pulled the cable out. It needed cleaned and lubed so it was on my to do list. I’ll look at the car this weekend and let you know if no one else jumps in with an answer.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. squirrel

squirrel

looks like either you or someone else was using a screwdriver that's about 3 sizes too small...????

4. They are, well, mine were machine screws with nuts and a small lock washer. I was able to get an ignition wrench on the nut and then used a screwdriver with a small crescent wrench to break them loose. Once loose they came out easily. Yours may be screws or the machine screws. Can you feel up top and feel either a nut or a sheet metal screw? I hope that helped. When I re-wired mine I put in two 6 pin trailer plugs so when I put it back in I just had to plug them in. Saves laying on your back doing some things blind.

5. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Yeah, they *should* just back on out. I left everything concerning the parking brake IN the car when I took out the dash.

If they won't turn, might be a bit of rust keeping them stiff, try a tiny bit of heat or tap the end your screwdriver handle lightly with a hammer as you twist. If they just spin, you might have to wedge a little something between the screw head and the dash to "take up the slack" and get them to start coming loose.

I concur with the other posters, might be a nut back up in there you need to get a wrench on.

I don't remember fighting with mine.

6. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Impact driver with a bit that FITS the screw. A couple of whacks and Bob's yer uncle!

loudbang likes this.
  7. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

According to the chassis parts book:

IMG_5445.JPG

Hope you can read it and it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app