Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Help ID this car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JamieK, Feb 25, 2021.

1. JamieK

JamieK

Hello everyone! I'm new here and trying to id my grandfathers car . He had it right after he got out of WWII. I think its a 35 or 36 Ford Convertible, but I cant find any other pictures of dual spare tires, fender skirts, or the chrome piece on the front fender like these on any other cars. Sure wished the potted plants weren't there so I could see the wheels! Thanks for any help!

1935 ford.jpg

2. Dual spares would have been an add on. Just use longer bolts.

Looks like a '36 Cabriolet but it could be a '35.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

that, my friend, is what the word "custom" means!

4. xix32

xix32

That looks like a `36 roadster , not a cabriolet.
    with some popular post war add ons, such as the skirts with emblems, spot lights, and maybe front fender finders clamped on to help from scraping the whitewalls. By the step pad on the rear fender, it probably had a rumble seat.
    A very cool car he would have been proud of.

5. You could be correct I just thought it looked like it had roll up windows. There is no doubt something that I am missing, there are always minor things that make them easy to spot that some guys get better then I do. ;)

saltracer219 and Stogy like this.
  6. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Wow! Your grandfather had the cool factor! Was he also from Winston-Salem area?

Stogy likes this.
  7. V8Vic

V8Vic
    from norcal

As said above I also believe it's a 36 roadster. You can see the the snaps for side curtains if you look close (I think). Also right about the rumble seat. You can barely see the deck led latch at the top in addition to the step on the fender.

Stogy likes this.
  8. xix32

xix32

a `36 roadster with popular post WW2 add ons, the pines trim around the grill and hood, spider hub caps,
    fog lights, grill guard, bumper overriders
    11-6-20  Ken's `36 roadster.jpg

loudbang, Stogy, 31Apickup and 2 others like this.
  9. Fordors

Fordors

The “chrome piece on the front fender” you described is to help you gauge the proximity of the car to the curb. It helps protect your whitewalls.

Stogy likes this.
  10. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And don't forget the '41 Buick trim (mounted upside down) on the rear fender skirts.;)
    zzz.jpg

Stogy and squirrel like this.
  11. JamieK

JamieK

Thank you everyone for the insight. The car was in Winston-Salem NC but don't have any idea how long he kept it. Wish I could ask him. Looking at other pictures of roadsters and cabriolets, neither look like they match up to the A pillar on this car, though? Good eye on catching the Buick trim on the fender skirt! I just noticed that it even looks like it has mud flaps.

Stogy likes this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

There is something funny about the A pillar, it looks like there is some kind of cover over it...normally, you can tell a roadster from a cabriolet by just looking at the pillar--if it's a roadster, it's a shiny piece bolted on, but if it's a cabrio, it's a painted part of the body. Neither one is as fat as the pillar on the mystery car.

Stogy likes this.
  13. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Definitely a 36 roadster, it’s possible they are side curtains that roll forward to the windshield post and fasten when opened.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Fordors, squirrel and Stogy like this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is that not part of a side curtain perhaps snapped on or otherwise with the main curtain unzipped or unsnapped...

Sorry I was typing this as @31Apickup alluded basically what I was thinking...

I can see how it was confused with a Cabby...

squirrel likes this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

in the old days, folks drove roadsters with the side curtains on...these days they don't, so we never get to see them. I think you guys are right.

Stogy likes this.
  16. xix32

xix32

I noticed something odd about the "A" pillar also, there seems to be something extending down from the windshield post. You can see there is a wind wing there adding to the visual confusion. But never the less it is clearly a roadster.
    by the way the roadster door rolls over toward the inside before reaching the windshield post. Maybe what we are seeing is the side curtain folded forward, but still attached to the windshield post.

Stogy and Fordors like this.
  17. JamieK

JamieK

By jove, I think y'all got it. I have looked everywhere on the internet and have found only one picture of a roadster with side curtains installed, and it has the same type of A pillar cover. So it is part of the side curtain. curtains.jpg

31Apickup, squirrel and Stogy like this.
  18. Fordors

Fordors

No question, it’s a Roadster. The three snaps visible on the door give it away and also the door has less height from the belt line reveal to the top. Look at the Cabriolet door the reveal to top is higher and there is an extra detail in the stamping. 688C5C59-7C81-48C6-8D49-D977DD41F07B.jpeg 6D7C7FE2-FF24-4D9E-8012-7B90586B29D0.jpeg 6A57CD2A-420E-4864-A232-54ED6981764A.png

mgtstumpy and Stogy like this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is one very cool Roadster in the OP...thanks for sharing it @JamieK ...hopefully more pics surface...;)

20. saltracer219

saltracer219

The main thing is the way the front edge of the door top rolls into the dash, it is hard to see the posts clearly in the picture. Definately a Roadster.

porknbeaner and Hnstray like this.
  21. Thanks