Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1958-59 Hillman Husky build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1oldtimer, May 27, 2018.

1. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

I may still have a pair of "Californian" scripts off of a Hillman I found in the woods many years ago.

2. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Love British cars, and hot rods. Your Husky is terrific.

I'm looking for a set of complete Husky tail lights. If you have any spares, or run across some, I'd appreciate a heads-up.

Thanks!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. 35desoto

35desoto

What year Husky rear taillights do you need?

4. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

From the model that came out in the late 50's (1957?). I'm not sure, but are they the same as the sedan lights? 20200226_222844.jpg

verde742 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. Forgot to post the tiny bit of an update when I posted the seats. I went to the 40% off day at Pick your part and found 4 spare tires that would fit.....now it's a roller!
    backyard-1.jpg

AHotRod, mgtstumpy, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  6. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

7. I forgot to post this one when I saw it online.....
    1958 hillman husky-1.jpg

8. I think there might be hope to get a title on the parts car after all this COVID19 mess is gone. Thanks to gimpyshotrods for the walk though.

Unkl Ian, loudbang and gimpyshotrods like this.
  9. Does anyone know if the later disc Sunbeam A arms will fit on the Hillman crossmember, I know the whole crossmember will swap but what about the parts. I found the parts minus the crossmember for the parts Hillman.

10. There was an industrial yard in Saticoy (Google Earth: near the corner of Nardo St and Lirio Ave, east side of Lirio) that had a bunch of small foreign cars like this.

Best I could do on my phone. Those back rows are mostly them.

Looks like a couple chopped tops.

I see several Pintos. A 1.6 L Kent?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    1oldtimer and loudbang like this.
  11. verde742

verde742

the seat are STOCK Hillman's. " Borrowed " some ' 61 years ago, they slide Right Out.. !!!!
    fit perfect in a '28-29 Ford Tudor..

!oldtimer : YOU ARE THE MOST FORTUNATE PERSON I HAVE EVER READ ABOUT !!!!!!!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  12. 35desoto

35desoto

My apology's for such a late reply but the answer is yes. Hillman used as many parts in as many models as they could.

13. 35desoto

35desoto

Yeah I know - Im late in being able to offer an answer on this one too. The answer is yes - as long as you take the whole top arm stub and lower arm

14. Thanks @35desoto, it's not a fast moving project I'm just collecting parts still. I bought the upper and lower control arms (with shaft) with the spindle and brakes. The only thing that didn't come with it was the shock bracket that's welded to the crossmember (that the upper control arm bolts to).

15. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

AHotRod, 34 GAZ, 35desoto and 2 others like this.
  16. Seeing this thread brought back some memories
    My first car was a 58 Hillman Minx
    You should never sell your first car IMG_0957.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

AHotRod and SquintBoy like this.
  17. Cymro

Cymro

I've only just seen this thread, for information, the Sunbeam Alpine was based on a Husky floor pan, so there should be some parts compatibility.

18. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Nice project. I had a Husky when I was 16. It had no reverse (turns out the shifter ball was broken), lots of rust, lots of fun. When it was time to go away to college I threw my Cushman in the back, drove it to the junk yard and got $2 for it and drove the scooter home

SquintBoy likes this.
  19. Here's another question, will any of the parts from a Series 1 (58-59) fit on a Mark 1 (57 and earlier)?. Mainly front suspension (control arms out). I might have a line on a Mark 1.

20. 35desoto

35desoto

A quick Answer - Yes. The Rootes group were like Chrysler Corp cars - many parts shared around the various models. Suspensions were a basic common item same as engine/gearbox/diff etc - commonality helped keep production costs down

21. Thanks again for the answers. I really wanted a Mark 1, but you take what you can get. It's minus the engine/trans.....but that's what the Pinto 2.0 is for, I'll post up the news as it happens :).

22. AHotRod

AHotRod

Are you making any progress?

23. None these, I'm going to sell these 2 and stick with the Mark 1. But, I'm SLOWLY working on the '28 Tudor and helping my mom (so time is tight). Hopefully when it gets cooler here and life gets slower there will be more progress postings.

Irish Mike and AHotRod like this.