Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Summer To Bringing Back Cruising

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raymay, Aug 12, 2020.

1. raymay

raymay

This time of year since the mid 90's I have traveled from Western New York with one of my cars to Michigan to visit our Son and his Family and also participate in some great car events including the famous Woodward Dream Cruise. This year will be a little different and like most people our summer has had a lot of popular events cancelled. We do have a few official local cruise nights and some of us have just found spots where we do what we call a "Pop Up Cruise".
    The president of our Rochester Street Rod Club came up with an idea several weeks ago inspired by the old days and the movie American Graffiti. He chose different towns in our area and organized Saturday evening cruises along roads where we can enjoy a night out in our cars and support some of the local businesses that have been affected by the Covid shutdowns.
    Our first one only had about 25 cars but those who participated had a great time and the word soon spread. By the second one there was close to 100 cars.
    This past weekend we selected a small local College town Brockport, New York. The route had plenty of places to eat and hang out. Brockport also is home to the Strand Theater which is one of the oldest in the Country and unfortunately has been unable to operate since March. He was able to contact the theater owner and asked if they would put the words "American Graffiti" on their theater marquee. The plan was to allow the cruiser to pull up in front of the theater and for a donation get a picture with their car. The money raised was turned over to the theater in support of them being shut down for so long during the current Pandemic.
    What a fantastic night with a very large turnout of vehicles from the area and surrounding Counties. The businesses and local law enforcement were very accommodating and everyone had a great time. Many want this to become an annual summer event in the future.
    More "American Graffiti Cruises" are planned for Saturday evenings in other towns. The well done video was made by one of our club members cruising in his car and captures a memorable 2020 summer evening.

Brock1.jpg 117219833_2718588675043205_8920404136386909457_o.jpg

2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Would have liked to have been there, Ray. Thanks for posting.

Deuces and raymay like this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Too many non cruisers hanging around and messing up a good thing around here.

j3harleys likes this.
  4. Deuces

Deuces

The Woodward thing is "still" happening this Saturday.... I plan on being there as a spectator... And stay out of trouble.... ;)

5. raymay

raymay

They are trying to set something up for a cruise in Batavia, NY on August 22. Any members from the Buffalo spread the word and all are welcome to participate. The Rochester Streetrod Facebook site and other local sites will have information as it becomes available.

6. olds vroom

olds vroom

Had fun last night at the cruise in Batavia . Are there any picks or videos ?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Deuces likes this.
  7. raymay

raymay

safe_image.jpg
    Batavia sure was a great cruise. Check the Rochester Cruise Nights and Car Show or Rochester Street Rod Facebook sites. I did see some images and video. Also saw you on the pier at the Canandaigua Cruise the week before. Did you guys stay dry when the rain came?

Deuces and dan31 like this.
  8. Driver50x

Driver50x

I absolutely love this idea. And what better name to use than American Graffiti cruise! I have participated in several similar events in Florida this year, one that I organized. I was also in a really fun cruise up in St. Johns, Michigan a few weeks ago. That one was organized by my High School Auto Shop teacher and had about 130 cars.

raymay likes this.
  9. olds vroom

olds vroom

We got wet but didn’t care we still had fun.

10. loudbang

loudbang

While looking around for photos to grab for HAMB fond this one on a photographers site that has photos from all over. I THINK this said it was from the cruise.

1 ray may.jpg

brady1929, Deuces and Budget36 like this.
  11. 32 hudson

32 hudson

Cool videos and well done !!

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  12. olds vroom

olds vroom

These cruises start again tomorrow night in Webster ny

raymay, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  13. Deuces

Deuces

Looks like Woodward Ave.... Between 12 and 13 Mile Rd. here in Motown....

raymay and loudbang like this.
  14. loudbang

loudbang

Have you been out to the west coast or is this a doppelganger ? :rolleyes:

Was at a Calif car Show.

1 amember ray may........jpg
    Yours @raymay

[​IMG]

oldiron 440 and brady1929 like this.