Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A Good place to get parts chromed

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by gasket41, Feb 24, 2021.

1. gasket41

gasket41

Can anyone give me the name of A good Chrome Plating Place That doesnt break the bank I need 2 lower windshield stanchions and A gearshift lever for A 32 ford hot rod iam building chromed Thanks

chevy57dude likes this.
  2. With chrome plating you can get good and you can get inexpensive, quality Chrome plating will last and cost more. HRP

I have had good luck with Advanced Plating - 111 Industrial Drive Portland, Tennessee 37148 - 800.588.6686

8:00 AM to 4:30 PM

Example of their work.

Before
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pot metal script before & after.

[​IMG]

scotty t and chevy57dude like this.
  3. Budget36

Budget36

Look locally that can show and explain different costs to you. Locally might be a 3 hour drive. Is for me. But, you know what to expect when you get your stuff back and any recourse if something isn’t there when you pick it up.

4. gasket41

gasket41

I live in Pa. and nothing that I know of is Close to me iam 12 miles North of Jim Thorpe Thanks for the advice

5. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Danny, has Adanced reopened? IIRC, they had a fire that shut them down and they were rebuilding. Been wondering lately iof they had gotten back up and running.

6. Budget36

Budget36

I stayed at a BandB in Jim Thorpe town 20 plus years ago, hit a bad rain storm on the way to visit Gettysburg, I know, nothing to do with your question ;)

Boneyard51 likes this.
  7. Fogger

Fogger

One suggestion for you no matter where you send your parts, engrave them all with your name and phone number and provide a detailed inventory with photos. The chrome shops deal with a multitude of customers and parts if you want yours back id them all.

scotty t and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Call Chris at Advanced Custom Chrome in Erie, PA.

9. Lebrandi's in Middletown Pa. Not real cheap but high quality work. They are the best in Pa. IMHO. Ph. 717 9449442

10. millersgarage

millersgarage

chrome ain't cheap.

Not sure why anyone thinks they can get it done cheaply.

X38, ClayMart, scotty t and 1 other person like this.
  11. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good chrome ain't cheap. Cheap chrome ain't good. It takes a lot of work to make a nice looking chromed part, plus the chemical end is expensive. If you're gonna play, you gotta pay.

warhorseracing likes this.
  12. X2 Librandi's near Harrisburg like @mad mikey said. Cheap 'aint good and good 'aint cheap.

13. TCATTC

TCATTC

14. gasket41

gasket41

NOT LOOKIN FOR CHEAP MONEY BAGS BUT I ONLY WANT CHROME NOT GOLD

kidcampbell71 and reagen like this.
  15. Fiftyplus

Fiftyplus

Lebrandi's and Pauls Chrome- both in Pennsylvania. Both attend most of the big Carlisle car shows. You can bring the parts and pick-up at the next show to save shipping.
    Page c.

GeezersP15, mad mikey and chevy57dude like this.
  16. 5window

5window

I also recommend Librandi's. But, I fear, your attitude is going to lead you to disappointment. The cost of plating materials is high. The expense of complying with regulations is high. The price of hiring someone who knows what the hell they're doing is high. Quality chrome in the USA is just going to cost you. Finding a good shop locally anymore is rare. Best of luck.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  17. gasket41

gasket41

Thanks for the advice I am one that still thinksthat hot rodding can still be done without spending A ton of money Iam not building A car for sema just a weekend driver. Thanks Again

reagen likes this.
  18. Good, fast and cheap. Pick any two. I could have put three kids thru college for what I have spent on chrome in my lifetime.

That is what is wrong with today's kids...chrome deficiency

Sent from my SM-F900U1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. Now 'that' is funny right there, I don't care who you are!
    The statement, "You get what you pay for" Applies to three things! "Chrome Plating, Motorcycle Helmets, and W,,,,,,,,, er,,, Ladies Of The Night!"

20. gatz

gatz

^ lol

BTW,
    Industrial Plating in Omaha NE does excellent work IMO.
    May not be cheap and may not be fast, but it will look better than new.

Ind Plating Bus Card.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is what you need to understand about chrome. In order for chrome to look good, the surface beneath the chrome has to be slick and smooth. Imagine throwing sand or having sanding marks on the metal and then plating over it. The chrome will not fill in the imperfections. In fact, it will act like a magnifying glass.

Now, imagine a mirror that has had chrome applied to it. Would you be satisfied with the sand and scratched one? Most would not.

What is required to get it slick and smooth is this. First the existing chrome has to be stripped from the part. Bad pits are filled with weld, silver solder if its pot metal. Then, a layer of copper is applied. Think of it as filler that fills in all the low places. That copper is buffed off and, depending on the surface, this copper plaating process may be repeated several times until you have the part slick. At that point, they apply nickel and then they plate it with chrome. Chrome is clear and is very hard. It provides the shine and protects the silver color of the nickel. the process is called triple plating for that reason.

All that work requires a lot of time, skill and expensive materials. Plus the materials have to be disposed of legally, which is expensive. It is what it is. Once you understand what is involved, its easier to understand the cost. It is worse than body work because copper is the bondo of plating.

No one is trying to offend you. We are simply trying to warn you that local industrial platers will take your parts "as is" and plate them without correcting the flaws. You will not like looking at them or letting others see them when done like this. Good luck.

Cosmo49, mad mikey, 5window and 5 others like this.
  22. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LMAO I've had some experience with all 3 of those cheap subjects...only one was worth going back for more:p

kidcampbell71 and unfinished like this.
  23. Chrome is a lot like a beautiful woman, it’s awesome to have and look at but gawddam it’s expensive

24. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Another vote for Paul's.....excellent over the years in my case. Last fall sent pics of a couple of pieces to several places, to get a ballpark cost. One was in Salt Lake and recommended on here numerous times.....they sent me a reply of "$250.00". That was extent of their email. Their site didn't say they had a minimum so I'm assuming they just didn't want to mess with smaller pieces.
    Paul's sent the amount...$90.00, details of what they do, procedure for transit and called me. Took a little less than 3 weeks. DSC00980.JPG DSC00981.JPG

mad mikey, 5window and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

Another thing,make sure to get duplex nickel over the copper . less likely to get green nickel spots through ya chrome top coat and the watts nickel is what was originally used under chrome . will cost a bit more but kinda like insurance .

26. Plus, once bought into, maintenance is an issue.

mad mikey, kidcampbell71 and scotty t like this.
  27. It's because they think W*lM*art is the end all and be all for everything.
    :rolleyes:

millersgarage likes this.
  28. 5window

5window

The parts I have seen at Paul's exhibits at Carlisle/Hershey do look excellent.

mad mikey and Joe Blow like this.
  29. 5window

5window

That's fine and a great goal. But, some things you just have to pay for if you want quality. Have you priced anything yet? My dad ,when in business told me he never had a problem with those who charged less for what they did They should know what they're worth. There's always cheaper (see Bunper Boyz) but will you be happy saving money only to have the work not last? Only you can decide. Let us know what you find on your search.
    PS: Lots of platers advertise in Hemming's. You could do an online search from there.

Joe Blow likes this.
  30. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Take it easy there fella. No reason to get shitty because someone spoke the truth.

....if it's a weekend driver and you don't want to spend the money for GOOD CHROME then paint your stanchions and gearshift lever......

Here's 11 ounces of INEXPENSIVE CHROME for less than 4 bucks.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rust-Ole...WkU5XiKbNejnQRlVmQt28jA7439-bmNBoCXaEQAvD_BwE

ClayMart and mad mikey like this.