Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs New member. Searching for grandfathers old ride

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Searchingforaclassic, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Searchingforaclassic

Searchingforaclassic
    from Kentucky

Oh for damn sure he was the bees knees no doubt. Some of his work was nothing short of amazing especially for the time period. I watched an interview he did I think in 2002 and he said those paint jobs were like $175 in the 50’s and his materials were like $30 absolutely crazy to wrap your head around especially with what the cost of paint products now days are. Hell the masking tape cost more than $30

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry I can't help. I'm just a cheerleader around here a lot of the time... "rah rah rah". But I like how so many others are helping.
    @Searchingforaclassic ,
    Just a thought. It would be awesome if you could find the car and even have a ride in it, as we were imagining. But even if that doesn't happen, you're already way ahead of where you were. You know more than you did. You have more pictures than you did. You even have more pride and appreciation for your grandfather and the car he built... because you now know a lot more of its history. It's clear that this was a top-of-the-line hot rod that was even painted by none other than Larry Watson... and admired, enjoyed and appreciated by a whole bunch of people over the years.
    Still, I hope you locate it.
    I think chances are good.

3. I just want to be clear, the address and phone numbers I posted above were easily found on the internet, readily available to anyone searching for said info. No secret handshakes, trench coats, or manila envelopes passed across a sticky table in a darkened bar at the end of the night :p

Hoping that second number does the trick for ya :)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  4. Searchingforaclassic

Searchingforaclassic
    from Kentucky

Some times a little motivation from the sideline is all it takes to keep the train moving.

A ride would be heaven honestly just getting to see it in person would be a dream come true.

He was definitely old school and knew what looked good I never knew him to have an ugly ride even up till he passed in 2016. I really regret not asking more questions or wanting more stories haunts me too this day

Stogy, stillrunners, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  5. Searchingforaclassic

Searchingforaclassic
    from Kentucky

Fingers are for sure crossed. Yea those are public. I think what the other guy was referencing was the transfer records at courthouse

Stogy, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. grumpy65

grumpy65

I don't think you need to let anything haunt you. From what I am reading, it seems like your family is made of strong stuff, and the connections are good. Be proud. They live on in our memories and our hearts.

Now, let's find that car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Searchingforaclassic

Searchingforaclassic
    from Kentucky

It’s out there somewhere. Has to be I can feel it.

8. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Don't beat yourself up over this, there are a lot of us that wish we would have asked more questions and paid better attention when those stories were told!

9. Searchingforaclassic

Searchingforaclassic
    from Kentucky

Your aren’t lying about that. Every time I was working on something and he would try to help I would say I got this or I know. Then the next day when it was messed up and I was doing it again he would always say if you would keep your mouth shut and listen to me you might learn something. Lol he sure wasn’t wrong.

10. grumpy65

grumpy65

And can you tell us where exactly you may have gotten your stubborn independence and your need to do and figure things out for yourself from ??? I think I know where my bet would be placed...............;)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    hotrodjack33, Stogy, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  11. Searchingforaclassic

Searchingforaclassic
    from Kentucky

Um yea Ive heard that several times from a few different people lol

Stogy, loudbang, Rickybop and 2 others like this.
  12. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Even if you could access the DMV system any record would no longer be on file. I believe records are purged after 7 years but I could be wrong about the time frame. Back in the day people would have friends that were cops or who were cops themselves run plates to see who owned a car. BUT not anymore. Anyone who accesses the system without a legitimate legal reason is sure to get caught and subject to serious consequenses up to and including termination.

nosford, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  13. Searchingforaclassic

Searchingforaclassic
    from Kentucky

I didn’t figure they were kept around that long. And yea I agree my dad and grandfather always called there friends and had them run some plates back in the day don’t hear of it much anymore

Stogy, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. rusty valley

rusty valley

i think many states wipe out the record after 7 years of not being re registered. anything always licensed should still be in the system, but...they wont give it to you

15. Searchingforaclassic

Searchingforaclassic
    from Kentucky

Ok.......... talked to Phil for near 3hrs today super cool dude very nice. If my son didn’t have a doctors appointment the conversation could have lasted several more hours. This story is pretty amazing and I wrote down almost 5 pages worth of notes on a legal pad. Having to pull a double shift today as soon as I get home or in the morning I’ll shed some light on the car and it’s history sorry for the cliff hanger gotta go back to work.

16. grumpy65

grumpy65

Yep, We'll wait..................................

17. Very cool! Looking forward to hear what you learned.

lothiandon1940, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  18. I'll be here tomorrow, waiting for the details.

While this history is VERY interesting, how do we locate the current location of the rod or owner?

19. Searchingforaclassic

Searchingforaclassic
    from Kentucky

This is the biggest question that hasn’t been answered.

20. grumpy65

grumpy65

I think the best chance is via exposure here on the HAMB.
    Hopefully, as more and more members see this thread, more and more info will come to light and lead you to find what you seek.................:)
    It has to work. You are no longer the only one that wants to know.

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually more often than not it ends up being a Hambers. Many Members are not always that active here but their Garage Hardware are quite notable...fingers crossed...heck this things even got notoriety...

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  22. We need to get our best H.A.M.B. detectives on the case. Paging @Sancho, @ Paso John and @ OG Lil E to the front desk.

23. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. grumpy65

grumpy65

There we go. The ball is rolling............:)

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  25. dangling_carrot.png

26. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

I know thread is only 4 days old , But you would think that some one would have seen the car @ a show or knew the whereabouts , Owner?
    The HAMB is a big crowd , Last seen with Washington state plats 2013..
    Wonder if Car has left the STATES ???!!!

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  27. grumpy65

grumpy65

A touch over 6200 views of the thread so far. It is getting a wide audience here..........

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably in a very private collection...hopefully near it original roots in appearance...

I get the reason some are private about their collections...this Hotrod again has some provenance...

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. grumpy65

grumpy65

Did I miss this ??? Is this info in this thread somewhere?

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.