Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What Do We Have To Do ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31 Coupe, Feb 23, 2021.

1. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Hi folks,
    This is really an Aussie based question ..... our registration rules require fenders to be fitted to all vehicles, as such our hi-boy builds usually have cycle type fenders and I feel that they just don't look right.
    Yes ...... I am heavily influence by the "SoCal" look cars, roadsters, coupes or whatever. If someone likes fenders on their cars, all good, but if you're like me and you don't like the look you're stuck with them or you can risk removing them and being penalised by the authorities. Please understand that I'm not trying to alienate anyone here, especially the "Australian Street Rod Federation" who have been instrumental in getting our hobby accepted down here.
    New Zealand has a special registration clause that allows <1934 vehicles but with certain rule constraints to be driven fenderless ..... not sure what the regulations are for US vehicles in their different states but I guess I'm looking for any advice as to "What Do We Have To Do" to help overcome/amend the situation.
    If this is inappropriate or offensive in any way please delete it, I'll totally understand.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Period correct for the majority of states in the US in the 60's would be some sort of fender on most cars and cars that weighed over 1500 lbs in California in that time frame.
    I know that doesn't help your cause at all but guys in a lot of areas in the US went through the same thing and a few states still do require fenders. The one I live in has a fair weather fender law in that you can be ticketed for driving without fenders in the rain if you are throwing up a rooster tail of water and mud. I believe it also covers gravel roads.

I remember when I first started going to rod runs in the 70's there was a guy who showed up once in a while who had cycle fenders that were made out mud flap material with brackets that fastened to the backing plates. He would roll into an event and could take all four off in under five minutes and stash them in the car. When it was time to get back on the highway he put them back on. They sure weren't pretty though.

Ron Funkhouser and jnaki like this.
  3. I think you might get more response if you retitle your thread, something like:

Ausie fender requirements?

Just a suggestion.

4. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Whilst you try to change your laws make a set out of plexiglass or lexan. Make brackets that attach to the backing plates and your fenders will 'disappear' for all intents and purposes. Or not...

Texas Webb likes this.

5. We have tried the "get rid of fenders" bit a few years ago, and it went south. In all states you are stuck with fenders.
    You may chose to have them fly off on the way back from rego, but it's your choice. Be greatful you don't have to run nerf bars as well!

denis4x4, Bandit Billy and Stogy like this.
  6. clem

clem

I saw some cycle type fenders made from cut out tyres. Same tread pattern as actual tyres used.
    From a distance they looked like no fenders

7. Actually, it's a state based question.
    Each state controls its own registration, so it's a state by state proposition, not 'Australia.'

I drove my highboy fenderless in NSW for 10 years without issue. Granted it had them when the car was first registered, but they were then unbolted, never had an issue.

But, there may have been an issue if insurance ever got involved or I caused an accident. Something to think about.

Oh, and by the way, I had club mates involved with the TAC in NSW, including one who actually worked at the RTA there and they would try every year to have something done about the fender regs, but the NSW government was always firm with its no. I'm talking over decades of meetings and lobbying, not just asking and being rejected once.

As for the state I live in now, similar story. In fact the government here has told the TAC to stop asking (as in, if you really want to piss us off...)

It's really easy to slag off at the system, especially if people have no idea what others have done on hot rodders behalf over the years. It is a bit presumptuous to think that no one has ever tried to tackle this in the past.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  8. Seen that, they look shit.
    Seen that too, also looks shit.

9. I know I'm not much help on what you can do? But I thought I'd way in about driving our Hot Rods here in Va. { photos are of my friends, and my Rods } I been driving my fenderless Hot Rods for 40 plus years. My insurance co. has photos of my Hot Rods, and have a stated valve. Law enforcement has been very supportive of our Rods. If driven in a safe manner. I guess if you would get an officer that didn't like something. He could give an equipment citation on just about anything. But it would not be a points ticket, and would not go against your driving record. I would never drive a fenderless Rod in bad weather. I hope your law makers realize that our old cars are built for fun , and not a threat to society. Best of luck to you. Ron......... 250.jpg 245.jpeg 151.jpg

lothiandon1940 and Lil32 like this.
  10. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Is there a minimum length requirement for the fenders? How about location? Make them 2 inches (5cm) long and locate them behind the tires. Just thinking out loud here.

11. Yes. And some states require more coverage than others.

12. I have never lived where fenders are required. One thing we used to do for rears is to bob the originals. Don't know what your regs are on that but bobbed and molded fenders have always floated my boat. They work fine in a highboy as long as they are not too far from the tires.
    Fronts now are a problem, I guess you are stuck with bicycle fenders.

13. There are strict coverage/size regulations for fenders (or "guards" here), which covers width and coverage, and in some states profile and finish. There are a few local fender makers (a real good one here in S.A.,) and they make excellent quality stuff. I would love a fenderless A, but it would attract the cops like flies to shit.

14. grumpy65

grumpy65

Cycle fenders can look good if done in a way that follows and compliments the build theme of the car. Too many times they are considered an "unwanted add-on" just to meet registration requirements, and in doing so, they do end up looking just like an "unwanted add-on".:confused:

My advice? Accept the fender ruling and incorporate the design and implementation of cycle fenders into the build process. Hot rod your cycle fenders and stop thinking of them as a problem. If you are capable of building an impressive car, you should be capable of doing it with cycle fenders.............................;)

Either that or start packing. You can always move to the US.....................:rolleyes:

Hey @striper , can you throw up a couple of pics of your car and show us how good cycle fenders can look.

Just Gary and loudbang like this.
  15. Yea when I was a kid in Oregon your tires had to be covered. No real direction as to how much or what covered was. it was just an excuse for cops to harass you if they wanted to.

16. One option might be to make them removable. Drive to the event, and take them off, maybe a combination of spade and wingnut. I know this a poor solution, but you would be the talk of the show. Some guys here use a seat belt buckle to remove their front liscense plate.

17. grumpy65

grumpy65

Here's a great example. Would look just as good with rears as well................
    [​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  18. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

Front fenders are made from a thunderbird continental kit it was cut in half then mounted to backing plate easy to remove. Now I just take the chance on getting pulled over for not having fenders. Most of the cops like the car so much they do not even care about the fenders I know it only takes one cop that wants to prove a point but as long as you are not driving crazy. What is the penalty for not having fenders out there? I have driven f this car all over and never had a problem I pass cops all the time and have been followed not pulled over not that I want to be pulled over but I worried so much about it I thought I would I also have open headers so it is loud I feather the pedal when I drive near a cop. Not sure does a lot of people you know get pulled over all the time? For not having fenders? It is a non moving violation yes? FB_IMG_1586307131964.jpeg

Sent from my LM-Q720 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. grumpy65

grumpy65

Defect notice. Can't drive it until you have rectified the defect and had it inspected and passed as fixed and compliant.
    Fine and demerit points on licence.
    Quite a pain in the hole..................:oops:

20. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We are in the same boat here in Germany and I think pretty much all over Europe, fenders are required to pass inspection . On the positive side , I have never heard of someone being pulled over for not having fenders. I have yet to figure out something for my 34. I´d like to go with bobbed rears and cycle fronts, but finding original rear fenders is not really easy.
    Ford3.jpeg

21. Budget36

Budget36

Only thing I can see that you can do is get your checkbook out and get into a legal challenge. If your pockets are like mine, you’ll need lots of others to assist.
    What’s funny/odd in the US there are so many different laws. Some states require “x” others don’t. Heck, even here in California we have a few counties left that don’t require smog checks (last I looked).
    Best of luck on your quest.

22. clem

clem

over here they must be bolted on....

If you don’t succeed in changing the rules.....
    here is the style that is not to unbearable, saw one done like this at Cooly Rocks in 2016. 1770C3B8-03A2-49BA-8C95-C6A49F30031D.jpeg

Edit; - here it is....

0822EC1D-1FD9-4D0B-A320-861FD98AA38D.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    Fortunateson, loudbang and Baumi like this.
  23. There are plenty of New South Wales Rods driven without any guards (fenders).

I just purchased a house form a guy with a blown 23 T that has driven without guards for the last 15 years. Never been pulled up.

The car is noisy as all get out (as my new neighbors advised me) and I've heard it go up the street, yet he hasn't been busted.

24. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Thanks to every one for your contributions, I didn't think that there would ever be a simple fix ...... it was probably more about me being frustrated at the time. I have a nice pair of '36 spare wheel covers that will fit the requirements down here and still look traditionally styled.

25. lowrd

lowrd

Ever thought of legislating a “fair weather fenderless law” might be worth the effort. Worked in Washington state.

26. I don't know how many times I have to repeat this for you guys - maybe as many times as the various state governments here have been asked about fender laws, and that is a lot - every state government has said NO! and stop asking.

And yes, weather exceptions and every angle you can come up with has been tried.

And no, people have not given up.

grumpy65 likes this.
  27. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

That sucks looks like you guys need to vote in a hot rodder and change some laws around
    Sent from my LM-Q720 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. grumpy65

grumpy65

Or just run fenders and get on with hot rodding..........................:D:D:D

29. Been there done that too.