Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods So my dad buys a Model A from "Jerry Rigger " AKA bracket man

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gbones32coupe, Feb 20, 2021.

1. cfmvw

cfmvw

Had an OT project car once that had the wiring harness hacked off at the firewall and rewired using the same gauge and color for the new harness. The previous owner gave up because, for some reason that he couldn't understand, nothing worked right.

Guy Patterson and loudbang like this.
  2. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been fortunate enough to end up in Kansas, where it couldn't be easier to get a car back on the road. No inspections required. Titles for anything 35 or more years old are gotten with a bill of sale and a theft check by the Highway Patrol. Hand the lawman $20, go to the DMV with the HP paper, hand them a bill of sale, the HP document, proof of insurance and a little money, and in a couple weeks a title shows up in the mailbox. I have probably titled 3 dozen cars and motorcycles in the three decades I've lived here, with nary an issue.

Meanwhile my son struggles to get an 11 year old car to pass an inspection in New York so he can get it licensed.

3. belair

belair

^^^" I'm from the government and I'm here to help you."

Elcohaulic, 56don and loudbang like this.
  4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I'm surprised you haven't found any duct tape and baling wire yet!

Tim likes this.
  5. If you purchase an out of province vehicle that has never been registered in BC, it has to go through a similar inspection process. At that point you're at the mercy of the shop/mechanic. You can ask me how I know.

loudbang and 57 Fargo like this.
  6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I am hereby declaring that my hot rod is a pile of crap and anyone who acquires it, which will be after I'm gone, has been forewarned.

It is a white 1938 Bantam pickup with a Ford flathead, just so you know.

dalesnyder and loudbang like this.
  7. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

Have not found any bailing wire yet but he may have used bailing wire to weld this exhaust together. The exhaust is made up of small 2 to 4 inch puzzle pieces. It is cool how he fit all this exhaust together. I think when I redo it I'm going to just run two strait pipes back through some Smittys and out the back. 20210221_154556_HDR.jpeg 20210221_154609_HDR.jpeg 20210221_154943.jpeg 20210221_154422_HDR.jpeg 20210221_154630_HDR.jpeg

Sent from my LM-Q720 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Interesting that vehicle inspections are required in salt belt areas - New York, Ontario but not here out west.
    Perhaps it's because vehicles out there suffer so badly that many are rusted to the point of being dangerous. Maybe the regulations actually make sense.

1934coupe likes this.
  9. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

There are 5.9 million cars in P.A. alone and they charge about ten dollars for the stickers and what ever other fees they charge to inspection stations For the testing. With simple math that is a lot of money. Also salt bearing roads prob have a lot to do with it. There are a lot of rusty cars that are not so old. Being an auto body tech I see a lot of it. Salt and brine eat everything!!!! I own a 2003 dodge I drive every day runs great took great care of it but the body mount is rusting through now will not pass inspection so now I have to weld a new body mount I. So I can keep driving!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    bchctybob, loudbang and 5window like this.
  10. Having worked in the food industry I will tell you that a little inspection goes a long way. In our province you can choose your own mechanic to do your safety inspection as long as the shop has the ticket from the MTO. Lots of them have given it up because it has become more rigorous and it is a thankless job. They are starting to mandate ride height and wheel and tire sizes, but lots of it like single tail lights and seat belts still go back to what the car originally came with. I asked if cars with more modern front clip were still okay, and my regular mechanic said they were no problem. I do say your hobby wether it be hunting, horseback riding or fooling with old cars shouldn’t kill you.

11. Truckedup

Truckedup

Let me guess, your son's car has the check engine light on and wont pass NYS plug in emission test for 96 and newer?

loudbang likes this.
  12. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

13. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

wow holding the floor pan huh

loudbang likes this.
  14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I kinda wonder if this car is one that was passed around quite a bit, from one imbecile to another? So called "car guys" without any real talent. Anything to get it running/driving. One guy never finishes it, and sells it to another, then another buys it, and so on; everyone does something different until you wind up with it. Everyone has proven just how inept they are. I really think you're going to have to do a complete rebuild of the car. It'll be a good father/son project. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

15. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

As far as I know Jerry owned it and built the car just one guy

loudbang likes this.
  16. Budget36

Budget36

Let’s hope the fellas doing the mechanical work, were not the same ones who did the body work and such. ;)

loudbang likes this.
  17. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nailed it. He got it to pass yesterday, had EGR and EVAP codes. I had him take the EGR valve off, clean all the crap out of the ports, drive it a ways to get it good and warm, and then wheel into the inspection station for a check. I guess a small leak in the EVAP system is OK.

loudbang likes this.
  18. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

This is an interesting way to hook up a ground wire

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  19. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

This answers that question 20210221_154836.jpeg 20210221_155037.jpeg

20. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

The hell is that? That expanding foam insulation stuff?:eek: Or mashed potatoes?
    20210221_154836.jpeg

56don and loudbang like this.
  21. Budget36

Budget36

22. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

Ya its all Bondo no worries I can fix it I'm a body guy that looks like it was a man a can and a plan

loudbang and SDhotrod like this.
  23. junkman8888

junkman8888

If the craftsmanship used on the wiring, the exhaust, and the body is any indication, I wouldn't drive that hack-job anywhere until I went through the brakes completely.

24. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

Yes I did had to fix a few things but the breaks are good now although I do have to move the gas pedal over because it is too close to the brake.

loudbang likes this.
  25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That guy's name isn't JD is it?
    I remember a lot of guys in the 70's robbing the wiring harness out of donor car (usually the one that donated the engine) and using it as the wiring harness in their hot rods. My 48 even resembles that. No money but there was a donor car with a mostly good harness sitting there in the corner.
    I can match and probably beat that extension cord though. The cat and I were under my 77 flatbed studying the wiring for the flatbed and I look up and there is a wad of three strand construction site extension cord patched into the wiring. I've got the stuff to fix it but laying out on the ground under a truck in cold weather isn't the best plan.
    I'd agree that in the 50's 60's and 70's that as long as it worked that was good enough for a lot of guys.

On the exhaust, early in my teaching years I went up to the Midas shop with my 48 one night and backed up to the dumpster out back that they pitched the scrap pipe and dug out all of the "mistakes" and cut off new pieces. Lots of new pipe that didn't have that perfect bend the boss demanded ( I had worked there before) and left over new pieces. My students patched a lot of exhaust systems up with that pipe. They usually had a buddy who was taking welding in the ag shop that was a decent welder though.

loudbang likes this.