Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What is this thing...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 27Tudor, Feb 23, 2021.

1. 27Tudor

27Tudor

Vintage - valve service machine (1).JPG Vintage - valve service machine (2).JPG Vintage - valve service machine (3).JPG I had posted this in the Antiquated forum and one of the responders suggested I post it on the main page for more eyeballs. Thank you to the few guys who did respond.

A buddy asked me what this thing is. We know it is auto related but the tag is rougher than a stucco bathtub. You can read Automotive Equipment Co. and Freeport, Ill but I suspect there is more to the name that is now obliterated. Any idea what this is and who the manufacturer is? I believe it is valve related.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2021
    41 GMC K-18 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

It reminds me of a brake shoe riveter but a quick Google search doesn't show any that look quite like that.

3. It was used to service valves and valve stems with a two speed flat belt powered by an electric motor from the early 1930's. It was manufactured by Automotive Equipment Co.in Freeport Ill.

loudbang, blowby, Tim and 6 others like this.
  4. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So, it's a Valve Jobber?

chryslerfan55 and scotty t like this.

5. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks like one of those things that, within the first 10 minutes, would send me to the emergency room for stitches:eek:

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not really seeing valve facing tool. Possibly a bushing tool.

7. I think that is the famous "Whatchamacallit".

Lil32, chryslerfan55, WB69 and 2 others like this.
  8. Jokester

Jokester

Don't know what it is, but it looks like a good one!

.bjb

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  9. trollst

trollst

Hoomerhingie, I seen one before.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

"What is this thing?". I do think it's for doing valves, but initially, I thought it could be a boring bar. To answer your question of what it is; it's an outdated piece of automotive technology, that may now serve as something for the garage/man cave as a display piece. It's probably missing parts, definitely missing instructions, and although one of our members may be familiar with it, it's no longer a functional piece of automotive history. Not trying to cut you down or downplay what it is, it's just no longer really "useful". Sorry. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. 27Tudor

27Tudor

12. Budget36

Budget36

The "bits" in the bottom left corner, look like turning bits. Interesting. The "jig" would hold something odd shaped, or maybe multiple things of different sizes?

Also appears those two items on the bottom right, would fit into the collar on the bottom right of the machine, maybe to hold something in place?

I'd have to wire the motor and put a belt on it, just for grins.

13. gene-koning

gene-koning

In the 20s and 30s, there was a lot of automotive manufacturing done in Freeport IL. Starr manufacturing built cars, Henney built ambulances, and there were several other no longer existing manufacturers here during that time. It could easily have been something built for a specific reason that no longer exists.
    To me it looks like a fixture for boring holes in a specific item that may have been adapted for a second purpose.

Freeport IL used to be the home of 5 of the top 50 of the Fortune 500 Companies World wide, until it all went down the drain. Now we are not even a reduce speed on the US 20 bypass. Gene

14. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's a Henway!

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  15. Butch, it very well could be useful for the right person working on the right time period engine. Think oddball Lefrance or something on that line. I like you do not see a use for it with what we deal with here.

16. 27Tudor

27Tudor

Agreed, probably not useful for it's original intention. Thanks everyone.

17. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

zzz.jpg

18. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

alanp561 likes this.
  19. Whatta you mean I can’t park here?! I don’t see no stinkin sign says I can’t.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  20. Budget36

Budget36

It could still be useful, assuming a person has a use for it;)

i/e I have some old valve grinding stuff and seat grinding stuff, all to be used by hand.
    The valve “grinder” is a little double v block thing, a small hand crank and a cutter. Not practical for stuff used today unless you have loads of time on your hand, but I haven’t bought a replacement small engine yet. Only two valves to do, I have that much time. The seat grinder is similar, there’s a roughing one and a few stones, pilots and a hand crank.
    This stuff was probably useful way back when, but for me is useful still-for what I use it for:)

chryslerfan55 and warhorseracing like this.
  21. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

To me it looks like a "lot" of mismatched pieces with a machine that was thrown all together.

Don't see a valve machine there, even if I squint my eyes.

Agree with above, looks like a machine built to clamp an object to and either drill or bore that specific item....

22. Country Joe

Country Joe

23. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Connecting rod boring machine for boring re-babbited rods..,.
    Scenes from another time automotive machine shop tools ,Pinterest
    Google : "automotive machine shop tools of the 30's"

24. Fiftyplus

Fiftyplus

Now days I'm sure OSHA would require a belt guard.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  25. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it were useful for anything at all then it would be most useful for it's original purpose, wouldn't it?.

Budget36 likes this.
  26. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOL. Hell, OSHA would require A bright orange safety fence, an EPA environmental study and a 5 hour safety training course:eek: