Register now to get rid of these ads!

When you think 60's style hot rod, what do you picture in your mind?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead Youngin', Jul 31, 2006.

1. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Axle's blue Deuce and the Don Tognotti coupe are two of my favs!

2. I was just a youngen back then , but I remember Tuck and Roll and The show car look. Remember the C-Cab show cars, my favorite.

3. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

.....little deuce coupe,you don't know what I got...

4. it seems strange that the only cars that seem to be remembered in the 60's were coupes. I seem to remember an awful lot of 40 fords and chevys. Not to mention 55-57 chevs. Black walls, chrome wheels, lopey cams and a slight to moderate rake. In progress paint and body work,(not intentional like ratrods),as money provided.

5. The guy that lived down the street had a 40 Plymoth(?spl) that had a high front end and the wheel wells were cut out. I don't remember white walls in the 60's, but I grew up in the middle of the country.

6. uh-huh...
    [​IMG]

EVL401 likes this.
  7. Rolf

Rolf

Great post...I suppose the Graffiti Coupe would qualify...

Here is one that I like:

[​IMG]

8. Chrome Shop Mafia

Chrome Shop Mafia

anything built by Roth...

9. Spaulding

Spaulding
    from Wichita

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  10. epinut

epinut

Love that pic, even if they do have ww's...:D

11. topless54

topless54

i know we're lookin at rods and i don't mean to hijack but does anybody got some 60's sled specimines?

12. McKee

McKee

Doyle Gammell's 32

Attached Files:

13. Paul

Paul
    Editor

perfect examples Durod and 49oldscoupe!! love it!!

here's some shots of my '60s styled coupe taken last Friday
    it will be clean and shiny too someday:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. 49oldscoupe

49oldscoupe

Hey Paul,

Your coupe's looking bad ass. The stuff you build always looks dead on. Here's a couple more pictures for ya.

Attached Files:

15. McKee

McKee

Any more pics of your T'?

16. Durod

Durod
    from DFW, Tx

that orange forty ford is absolutely f'ing PERFECT... simply what i think of when i think 60s hot rod, for SURE.

17. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

Anybody notice the "Kookie T" in Durod's thread? Great photos, great subject!

18. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I was going for a 60's look with this. It has a fourbar rear suspension which is out of period, but its got the red fuel and spark plug wires, every chrome engine bolt on goodie I could get, A hurst "indy" shifter, cheater slicks, wide whites, heavy channel-no chop, and the black fur headliner. I know its a small block chevy, but thats what we all wanted back then.
    I've got a weiand 4 twos manifold for it, but I'm afraid it would run like crap if I actually installed it.

19. Paul
    Looks like you're onto it again friend. There's only a couple of folks on here that never cease to amaze me, your one of those.:cool:

20. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

DANG! I think you just described the rod I'm looking for....cheaters, no chop, SBC (looks like) with a huffer, chrome, chrome, purdy paint, great stance, chrome rims or radirs, buick drums.....

sorry, dude, but i may just have to copy this....

the tops of your wheels tuck perfectly into your rear quarter reveals......is this on to of the frame you build out of tubing.....

EDIT: who's coupe was sporting a sbc and a blower.....ran a impressive time for first time out.....the one we got the video of on here....i'll look for it on youtube....

21. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

HELL FUCKING YEAH!

God I love that car. To me its perfect!

22. flatheadmalc

flatheadmalc

Had a 64 Chevelle with built 283, Ford econoline front axle (sittin way high), cheater slicks on the back. Kinda fast but scary as hell to drive. Would like to have it now though.

23. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

the quintessential 60's hot rod:

Beach Boys' Little Deuce coupe. I know that's extreme, but "60's style" to me is green, gold, or blue metal flaked, white pearl, tuck and roll, big white walls, more custom touches (it was about being wild and different, not about getting your car on the road as cheap and fast as possible), LOTS of chrome, lowered, chopped, channeled, wild. Not just with the intent of speed, but showmanship.

24. flatheadmalc

flatheadmalc

And the 58 Impala from American Graffiti, and the 55 for that matter. Dragstrip styled cars were a lot more common in our area than the older hot rods

25. Powerband

Powerband

Many of the "rods" pictured are better classed as "Customs" to me . I drooled over them in the mags but I didn't get much closer.

My sister's boyfriend had a 2+2 Bonneville 389 or 426 tri-power that would do 120 without making a sound. Cruising on bias-ply with the underdash reverb equipped 45 changer playing doo-wop was surreal.

Then there was Carmine, the greasy kid with the straight axle gasser Caliente 390 he'd drive to high school and match up with the sleeper Mopar dude's Hemi(?)/747 bench seater.

My favorite was my best friend Jorge's brother Oscar - half Mexican & half Ukranian crazy bastard. We'd ride the back seat in his half tubbed - cut but no tubs - Red primer '55/327/welded spool rear with header pull-cable dumps and sloppy steering. He'd pull up at the lites and scare them off or go for it with us in the back seat - he didn't care either way.

For those that know ;) - 110th Ave, Francis Lewis, Conduit Pky, Sunrise were favorites - probably still are ...

Powerband :cool:

26. Eisenfaust

Eisenfaust
    BANNED

HALLIBRANDS & REDLINES...

27. brandon

brandon

mid 60's cool.....recaps or m&h slicks.....magnesium wheels or chrome reverse... ....blown anything...rake.....not slammed....fire mist colors.....drag looking hot rods....big and littles....but not huge.....figure a 10.00 or so / 16 was top fuel....roll and pleats....i am just partial to the 64/65 ish era...i did my anglia that style...that era...except for the radials ...doing my model a coupe this style ......brandon

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  28. Something like this is what comes to my mind, since this car was built in 1963 and I found it in the back of a Garage where it had sat since 1970.............:eek:

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  29. this car gives me wood
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I grew up in ELA. It was lowriders. Chrome reverse or astro supremes in 13" or 14" with skinny whitewalls. Diamond tuck, button'n tuck, velvet or angel hair interiors, hydraulics suspensions. A few had drag inspired rides like straight axle 55' chevys. I has a 56' Chevy wagon with a 394 Olds and hydro. Also a 55' Nomad with a 283 and 4 speed. American 5 spokes on both.