Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What front end is this?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Panic84, Feb 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Panic84

Panic84

Hi guys,
    I have a 38 Chevy Coupe wich has a front end you’ll see in the pictures.
    Due to changes in the technical examination here in Belgium I can’t use disc brakes because they’re not original on the car. So my car can’t be approved.
    Can any of you tell me what front end this is? And is there a possibility to put drum brakes on this front end?
    Thanks! 9F393557-2394-41D2-B649-08ECAFCDF9D2.jpeg 7B8B1588-143E-413F-825D-E9AFC37241A6.jpeg CC5D2FBD-39A3-44BF-BBAF-397A842382C2.jpeg

2. milo1303s

milo1303s

Is this a funny post ?

3. Graybeard4545

Graybeard4545
    from Maryland

Good Morning,
    It looks to me like a Mustang 2 front end that came with disc brakes from the factory. They were 4 lug, small disc rotor. I am not aware of a change over to drums for this front end. Someone on here can maybe add to this.
    I am using one now on my 48 Studebaker truck, but up graded to 5 lug and bigger discs. Hot Rodders will change to disc but I have not seen anyone change back to drum unless they are going back to original front suspension.

4. Panic84

Panic84

No funny post at all :(
    In Belgium you need to pass a technical inspection to get a license plate and insurance.
    Don’t ask me why, but they seem to be allergic to disc brake swaps.
    I bought the car as it is in Texas and now I need to swap over the disc brakes to drums to pass this technical examination ...

5. As has been pointed out, that is MustangII suspension and came with discs. The whole front suspension is not original to the truck.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  6. I think you can swap to earlier spindles.
    you going to have to do some reverse research.., find a swap article where someone uses just the mustang 2 spindles to get the disc brake upgrade. Then you can hunt the car and parts for the reverse drum swap

7. Consider your self lucky they accepted the suspension as a whole. They didnt notice it has rack and pinion and not a steering box? On those cars the original all unbolts as a unit with the crossmember. But that new unit is probably welded on. It will drive better as is but hope you get the same inspector next time or you are in for a lot of work to make the car drive and stop crappier.

Sent from my SM-A102U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  8. alchemy

alchemy

There is not any bolt on solution. There is no brake unit that will bolt onto those spindles, and if you did find some spindles that are sort of the correct geometry to swap to the A arms, it will not be the exact hole size and taper for the ball joints and steering rack.

Maybe you can find someone in Europe with a stock Chevy straight axle on parallel springs that wants to get rid of it? Then you could use the old Chevy brackets to bolt into your car and restore your car to original.

Your country's rules sound strict. I wonder what they'd say if they found out the suspension wasn't original either, let alone the brakes?

9. If it is mustang 2 could you not swap the spindles and put the 6 cylinder mustang drums on from the 64-65 coups ?

I find that funny to swap out good brakes for another set of good brakes.
    If the unit is engineered correctly what’s the issue ?
    Strange ....

10. squirrel

squirrel

11. oldolds

oldolds

Early Ford Pinto had drum brakes. That suspension eventually became the famed Mustang II. I have no idea if the spindles from that set-up will work. It might be the closest option. Now the next problem is to find a 1970 Pinto!

12. squirrel

squirrel

71-73....since they didn't make a 70 model, did they?

and disc brakes became standard in 74, when they redesigned the front suspension.

13. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Is the Belgian inspection of the suspension/brakes only a quick visual look under the car or does it go up on a lift for a close examination?

I'd go with the early Pinto drum setup if you can, for bolt in ease.

If it's only a quick look under the car to confirm it doesn't have discs, I'd grab any available front steer drum setup and bolt it on, (even if you have to ream out the ball joint holes) . Spray bomb it to match/make it looks like it belonged there and roll it up to the inspection station. Then swap back to your discs after the inspection.

X-cpe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.