Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Don't flame me

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lerenzo Rawson, Feb 6, 2021.

1. atch

atch

Many years ago (late 80's or early 90's) when Clarence was in gray primer I decided the evening before leaving for the NSRA Nationals that I'd paint flames on it. All I had was 3/4" masking tape (the kind for painting walls etc.) and a couple of rattle cans of flat black. All I can say is thank God there were never any pictures taken and shortly thereafter he got painted all the same color (black basecoat with no clear).

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    chryslerfan55 and Lerenzo Rawson like this.
  2. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

I like flames as well, although I have never had or painted a flame job.
    I do feel as though they are a make or break proposition. You have to have the right canvas (car) to pull it off. They don't work on just any ride. As for the crude style of flames. NO GO !!!
    If I went with flames on a project they would be the long stretched out swoopy style with classic colors and pin stripping.
    As cool as they look when done properly i doubt i will ever go that route.

chryslerfan55 and Lerenzo Rawson like this.
  3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not into flames. To each their own. There is a PT Cruiser that shows up at cruise ins locally. Flames don't make it cool. I also have the same opinion on go fast stripes. A couple deck stripes don't make it a Z28.

Lerenzo Rawson and little red 50 like this.
  4. My first set of flames although shaped different weren’t far from the ones on the 57 at least when it comes to skill level. We did them on a buddies slightly OT C10 that was in red primer to break it up a little. We actually used tinted primers for the yellow, orange, and red. I later ended up buying the truck from my buddy and was amazed how many people asked how I was going to save the flames when I painted it. They weren’t that great at all but was the beginning of my “flame painting career” on Harleys and lots of pickups. I still love a good flame job and am looking forward to doing some soon on my kids 51 Chevy pu.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  5. slowmotion

slowmotion

I put pinstripe flames on the hood of my OT (trusty-rusty) work car once (as a joke). It was, as a few guys thought it was really cool.:eek: It's what happens when you're bored and find a roll of fine-line you didn't know you had...:rolleyes:

Lerenzo Rawson and guthriesmith like this.
  6. Krash Vegas

Krash Vegas

Flame paint jobs are the coolest thing ever IMO.... 40-1.jpg Resampled_2013-09-30_16-33-56_517.jpg

7. 53 hemi

53 hemi

These are (obviously) super basic, rattle can flames done with my brother while drinking a few beers. Amateurish, juvenile, and I absolutely love them! 20210214_162259.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Driveway flamejob.
    The best kind.

I like somewhat crude flames.
    For that matter, I like somewhat crude hot rods.

Cosmo49 and 53 hemi like this.
  9. Speedblur101

Speedblur101

Isen't it "Don't Flame Me Bro!"? At least that's what I remember.

10. Squablow

Squablow

I kinda love the crude job on the Catch Me '57, it totally looks like what a high school shop class would do to that car in the late 80's, and there's something really great about that.

It's so much better than the lame ass "true fire" flame jobs that seem to be trendy. Put that shit on your car, you'll get the Fast Freddy dance cancelled and Johnny Phatmun is going to own you for life!

F-ONE, guthriesmith and Cosmo49 like this.
  11. There's Bob McCoy's and that's it.
    [​IMG]

F-ONE and missysdad1 like this.
  12. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Reflecting back:

My teenaged son did not have a date for the big high school dance and was kinda bummed. I said "Let's do something cool". I grabbed some tape and showed him how to lay out flames on his and his brother's O/T Pinto wagon. We rattle canned it with a couple of colors. Then they got crazy and put in lime-and-chartreuse shag carpet, a statue of Mick Jagger on the dashboard, and some pin stripes out of a Buegler tool.

The car was voted "Best Student Car" by the student body two years in a row and was in the yearbook.
    Great memories for the three of us.

Respecting HAMB guidelines, I'll not show pics.

silent rick, F-ONE and guthriesmith like this.