Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods So my dad buys a Model A from "Jerry Rigger " AKA bracket man

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gbones32coupe, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

2. upspirate

upspirate

Every used (pre-built?) rod I've ever bought had wiring like that.
    I just figure unless someone installed a new harness, that's one of the things I'll have to buy and install

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  3. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That car has a great look. It's cobbled together, but it went down the road and here you are driving it... Just goes to show that anyone can do it. We should all strive to do it a little better of course. ;)

4. Actually he is a rocket scientist,;) or a brain surgeon,:confused: or a nuclear physicist.:eek: Or all three wrapped up in a single wrapper.o_O

New source for cheap sheet metal!:D

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Based on the fitment of entities on most 'servicable' modernish cars, I'd say the P.O. was an engineer.

54 ford coupe, 5window and loudbang like this.
  6. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

7. belair

belair

never buy a car at night

8. adam401

adam401

When I die, there will be a similar thread when someone buys my coupe. No modern shit, but definately some shit haha.

9. belair

belair

I'm glad you're taking this with more than a grain of salt. I would have been afraid to run electricity thru the wiring harness with a new alternator after seeing all the other boogeroos. I too would loose the fenders and chop it. Unchopped fenderless and channeled never looked right to me. The wheels are a big improvement. Glad you and your dad are having fun with it. That's what it's all about. My dad is into the journey of dementia, and those fun days are just memories now. So make all you can. Glad the car found a good home.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  10. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

That car doesnt look like anything bad. There have been BAD builds posted on here. Shitty wiring is par for the course, if a car doesnt have shit wiring it hasnt been passed along to 10 owners and earned its badges of time

loudbang and guthriesmith like this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

And the sad thing is how much more work it takes to cobble something together, than it does to just find the right parts and put them in so it looks like they belong there.

12. Did someone mention bad wiring? Seems like every car I get has an electrical nightmare. Had to rip all this out and install a new harness... 935.jpeg

13. 5window

5window

True, but the builder really was a hot rodder. He took stuff lying around, cobbled it together and made a functioning car. Maybe not technologically advanced, or safe!, but closer to tradiional than some guy that just pulls out his checkbook and pays some shop to build him a "hot rod".

loudbang, blowby and guthriesmith like this.
  14. squirrel

squirrel

I'd say more of a tinkerer, than a hot rodder.

Tim, Tman and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. olds vroom

olds vroom

You should name the car The Cob Job !

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. Mike

Mike

The original snorkel was probably too long to fit under the hood.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He didn't buy the car without looking it over good. His father did, so.....

loudbang likes this.
  18. ken bogren

ken bogren

Cool car

Thanks for taking us along on your lighthearted journey with this car.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  19. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

It is funny how history changes with time. The things that I see in this car reflect a true period correct HAMB hot rod. Most of the hot rods (not the magazine cars) that I remember from the late 1950s and early 1960s looked a lot like this car. I am not saying that they were safe, dependable, or built correctly but the majority of the hot rods were built this way. At least that is the way that I remember. I am always amazed at how the 50s and 60s are defined today. Those are the years that I grew up, and sometimes I think I must have lived on another planet.

20. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

Hey maybe the same guy wired this car? Hahaha
    Sent from my LM-Q720 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.

21. That's the way I remember it too. The 'magazine' cars were few and far between "back in the day", contrary to what a lot of people want to think. For the most part, cars were built as cheaply as possible by high school, or maybe a little older guys, who couldn't afford high-end stuff: it was a matter of adapting junkyard stuff as best you could. Make do with what you had or could find. The reality of those days is a far cry from what a lot of people think it was. Too much magazine viewing and not enough actual knowledge.

22. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

We take responsibility as stated previously this not a buyers beware or complaining thread. Yes we did see a lot of what is wrong with this car. Yes we did miss a lot of things when looking but the positives out way the negatives we love the car and it looks like everyone else likes it too. It has the look and stance. It is all steel body sturdy frame. I only posted this thread because we feel some things are so funny that I just had to share for a great laugh.

23. In our province you have to get a safety certificate to transfer a car from one owner to another. This is done by a liscensed mechanic, and I think they are responsible for 30 days. I noticed the other day that the liscense plate bracket on my truck that I built 40 some years ago is a piece of galvanized angle iron. It works, but wouldn’t cut it today.

24. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Maybe it's me but I don't think this car is so bad. The wiring is ugly, but a new harness is like $250. The oil pressure is a bit low, but not alarmingly so, and it's a SBF so if you did need to replace the engine you're not going to go bankrupt. It looks cool and ran well enough to get home, and to top it off, it sounds like you got a smoking deal on it.

The last time I thought I was getting a solid deal on a car it wouldn't start to drive onto the trailer and wound up needing a new engine and trans.

loudbang likes this.
  25. bchctybob

bchctybob

As some have mentioned, most of the hot rods that showed up at my high school were very raw. Rat's nest wiring with no grommets or clamps anywhere, crude angle iron brackets, booger welds, built mostly from easily identifiable junk yard parts. Did we jump right in rewiring it and trying to make it a show car. Hell no. It got more carburetors and bigger rear tires and got the snot beat out of it.
    Times and tastes have changed, the bar is higher and the challenge now is to take those few remaining old hot rods and make them enjoyable without killing their old soul.

26. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You guys got wiring with your cars??? :p

seb fontana, 56don, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  27. Roothawg

Roothawg

Dude, it articulates with road conditions.....get with the times.

loudbang, Budget36 and guthriesmith like this.
  28. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

Here is one cool way to make hood seal on Top of grill looks like some extension cord and some brackets 20210221_154219_HDR.jpeg

loudbang, ottoman and rbrewer like this.
  29. Last car I bought (37 Chevy) I got "wire"- 1 of them, going from the battery to the coil!
    At least all of these faults are easily repaired, and YOU can pick the bad from the good!.
    It looks like it will be a good, serviceable car when done, and you and your dad will have a hoot doing it together.
    I still remember building cars with anything laying around the farm, and picking up a welder and having a go at it. If it worked, it stayed!

30. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Thank God we don't have this rule in my province.

56don and loudbang like this.