Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Tired of over rated Hemis

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by birdman1, Feb 19, 2021.

1. banjorear

banjorear

This post reminds me of those old bench racing stories we've all heard.

[Insert year] Vette got dusted by [insert year] Mustang, Camaro, Impala, whatever. All the 'Vette saw was the tail lights, yadda, yadda.

9 times of 10 the car that got dusted is a 'Vette, but in this case it was an old Mopar. LOL!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    Truckedup and 55 Ford Gasser like this.
  2. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

The Birdman's not afraid to stir the pot.

stanlow69 likes this.
  3. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

My current build is a Hemi powered RPU I'm building it JUST because I wanted to build a Hemi engine. I'm 82 years old possibly my last build and I don't give a s--- if anyone else likes it

Attached Files:

57Custom300, SlamIam, bymanr and 18 others like this.
  4. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good plan, Bert. You go for it!

loudbang likes this.
  5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

<<Anyone who doesn't like 'X' engine will find a need to call them something. Me? I don't care for shiverlays...:confused:
    I'll bet that at least one other guy doesn't like something.......:p>>

"Everybody doesn't like something; but Nobody doesn't like Sara Lee."

loudbang and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  6. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

I’ve got a friend who loves to tell the story of the rainy day when he street raced his Volvo p1800 against a Hemi polara and won. He only won because the dodge sat there spinning but a win is a win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

I love your attitude. I’m also building a roadster for the same reasons. I’ve built/rebuilt/restored all makes of engines but aside from head work and odd machine work have never done a Hemi. And I’m a Chevy guy. I will say though flatheads have always been my favorite to build when I’ve had the opportunity. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I have only 2 Hemis left, a nice '56 354 Chrysler and a 276 DeSoto. (having a hard time finding ONE spark plug cover for it!)
    Chrysler goes in my '27 roadster, DeSoto into my '27 tub...Both have '37 LaSalle trannies, different adaptors.
    Everything interchanges from crank flange rearward. Fun stuff.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  9. lake_harley

lake_harley

I'm a spring chicken by comparison at 68, but I got the Hemi bug about 2 months ago. Found a 241 Dodge pretty quickly and promptly disassembled it. It's currently at my machinists to be hot tanked and crack checked. When I know what I'm working with I'll start collecting parts for a rebuild. Not quite sure yet what it will go in but I have another Model A coupe waiting it's turn in the shop, so it might become "just another Hemi Coupe".

Lynn

Lynn

wheeldog57 likes this.
  10. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Lynn, no such thing as just another hemi coupe! LOL Lippy

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  11. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

354 to go in my 36 plymouth coupe

12. jimpopper

jimpopper

4F20C025-1B80-40A1-A682-1F35F9CAA37C.jpeg U 344BB94C-42D2-4D32-A574-4A0B8DF153C0.jpeg 325 Dodge in mock up 30 model A pickup

Hemiwoody and Joel W like this.
  13. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

no words needed . . .

old master engine shot 2016 CHRR.jpg

14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

How about a little Hemi noise !

Just Gary, loudbang, Gotgas and 3 others like this.
  15. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Marty,
    That was awesome!

16. big john d

big john d
    from ma

17. fordcoupeguy

fordcoupeguy

I put an early 331 hemi in a modelA years ago. It only had a 7: 1 compression ratio and was fairly gutless. So I put a blower on it,that woke it up! Hemis love to be blown.

18. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

Just so I’m clear this started out with the OP saying how he was tired of overrated Hemis and now we’ve basically turned it into the “glory that is the Hemi”thread?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

banjorear and Beanscoot like this.
  19. phat rat

phat rat

A 270" in my roadster at 1900# it goes just fine with that little motor. A Hemi always has eye appeal.

Attached Files:

20. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had the same combination in my "T" bucket (well, it did have just a 4 BBL and only weighed 1835 lbs). As I have said before, with a Dodge three-speed and a 4.30 rear end, it was a block to block beast.

21. gene-koning

gene-koning

I always hear about how this car/motor beat that car/motor. The stories never end, and some get quite humorous.

Through the years I've learned that when things get close, the better driver usually wins. I have a buddy that used to be the best driver I knew. Put him in anything and he could make it work after a few minutes in the seat. A driver that looses a race because he isn't smart enough to control tire spin proves the point. A good driver knows that you spin the tires to show off, but its traction you want when you are racing.

Now, back to the my car beat your car stories. I beat a lot of cars with my junk. They were sitting there spinning the tires as I was leaving the line at 1/2 throttle until I knew I could mat the gas pedal and not spin. Gene

55 Ford Gasser likes this.
  22. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Meet "Hemi". Sorta fits the guy, no?

20200122_131341.jpg

23. grumpy65

grumpy65

Like a glove, man, like a glove.............:cool:

24. D2Denny

D2Denny

Purchased a 54 Dodge 1 1/2 ton truck 20 plus years ago and pulled the 241 out and stored it in the barn until I retired 6 years ago. This was my retirement project. Built with 10:1 pistons, a Delta regrind on the cam, and a 390 Holly. Runs sweet and puts a big grin on my face every time I take it out. Life is good..... IMG_0125 (2).JPG

Desoto291Hemi, bymanr, 270ci and 6 others like this.
  25. indyjps

indyjps

If ya look at the timeline.....Duntov spent a lot of time messing with flatheads and hemi heads before he gave up on both and spent a lot of time making power with SBC'S. He didnt seem to look back. :D

I cant afford any version of a hemi that makes decent power, so I gotta sit on the sidelines and play with the bellybutton sbc.

26. lake_harley

lake_harley

"Hemi" is his name? So did you name him thinking sometime he'd be a pain in the arse? Actually, he looks like a great companion!

At the risk of hijacking the thread....back in the '33 Willys burnout video I noticed the "surging" of the engine. I have never quite understood, what causes so many (all?) blown engines to surge like that? Loading up, almost dying, but lighting off again? :confused:

Lynn

arkiehotrods likes this.
  27. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Very nice! Do those small ones have the same size heads and valve covers as the bigger ones?

28. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

From theblowershop.com website
    What makes the blower “surge”?
    This is caused by a rich/lean cycle at idle. As the motor leans out the RPM’s increase and richen up the motor, when the motor richens the RPM’s decrease and the motor leans out again. This continual cycle is known as “blower surge”. With proper tuning, some of this surging should be able to be eliminated.

loudbang likes this.
  29. lake_harley

lake_harley

Thanks! I'm embarrassed now since the cycle that causes the surge is kinda opposite of what I thought. Doh! :confused:

Lynn

30. George

George

Covers interchange. The low deck heads have smaller ports & valves. you can use the heads on either block. The sealing along the top is marginal when using 241 heads o the high decks.