Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '51 Ford Custom. Name pending.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Juice1990, Feb 3, 2021.

1. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Do you mean the quarter panel tailight spears?
    Some people call them wings, wind wings, wind splints...
    These were reproduced but apparently they have been discontinued.
    It's like anything else, you can find really good used pieces. I saw some on a FB group for much less.

As Tubman mentioned earlier all the front grille parts are available for about $1600.

chryslerfan55, Juice1990 and loudbang like this.
  2. I think he's talking about these. Looks like $600.oo for the pair. Dennis Carpenter[​IMG]

3. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

These are from Shoebox Central...
    [​IMG]
    ^^^
    That's not bad at all and you don't have to buy it all at once. Then again...If you know you need these and can swing it, you might need to get it now while you can. Who knows how long it will be produced?

In my opinion, platers are a gamble.
    When I hear "Platers" Bumper Boyz come to mind.:rolleyes::mad:o_O
    A lot of people were ripped off , some never seeing their rare pieces again.

chryslerfan55, Juice1990 and loudbang like this.
  4. Juice1990

Juice1990

Messing around with some concepts while I drive whenever possible and wait for a couple of parts to come in. Sprung for the non-universal wiring harness, a couple of interior odds and ends, and a new oil filter canister since the old one is drippy. Still haven't gotten a chance to figure out the transmission leak but it appears to be a very slow one.

Found a small crack in the head on one side. Dad thinks it's from freezing (he swung by for the Superbowl and to give the car a test drive).

Anyways, just playing around with some colors and rim options. Liking this general feeling. Lowered some, aluminum rims, louvered hood. I've tried it with and without the side trim, but I'm leaning toward leaving it for now. Might change my mind later.

Shame that the maroon is my least favorite (of these three), because it'd certainly save some time and effort to not have to start fresh with a new color. Thanks for all the continued information and support! concept1.jpg concept2.jpg concept3.jpg

5. Juice1990

Juice1990

Realized upon posting that that last one's way more red than maroon. Had been staring at the screen too long. Here's something closer to the original color (Looks a lot better now). concept4.jpg

chryslerfan55 and warhorseracing like this.
  6. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

You gotta see this 1951 Ford getting the Sh@t drove out of it in Downtown Ashville.
    It is a 51 with a 50 grill and 49 hood. That car was found local. It was a blockader (whiskey car) with 3x2 Y block, rollbar, heavy springs and moon tanks.
    Robert Mitchum allegedly kept it.

7. Juice1990

Juice1990

Hah! I love it. Thank you!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Where on the head?
    Is it steaming out the exhaust?
    Are you loosing water?
    Is it leaking out of the crack?
    Have you done a compression test?
    Have you noticed lack of power or any obvious anomaly while driving?
    Does the water or the oil look milky?

It could be serious. It could be easily repaired. It could be nothing to worry about. It depends.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. Greengo 51

Greengo 51

loudbang likes this.
  10. Juice1990

Juice1990

Outside, between two bolts. I'll get pics soon.
    I did not assume steam. I'd say the exhaust isn't perfectly clean. There's some visible vapor.
    Not currently. There's a little bit of staining around it but it hasn't leaked since I've had it.
    I have not.
    No lack of power that I've noticed but I haven't taken it on a super long drive or have had a ton of experience with these engines.
    Oil and antifreeze look clear. No overheating.

Right now it's a "thing to keep an eye on" while driving. Extra fluids at hand. But I'm sure before long I'll make a fix, maybe just replace, just to cross my i's and dot my t's.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

11. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

If you do not have a functioning temperature gauge and you plan to drive the car before all the wiring work.....Get 2 mechanical temperature gauges now. One for each head. It will take fittings to adapt those into the heads.

One quick check is pulling and inspecting the spark plugs. Look for odd ones like very very clean.

I agree, keep an eye on it. If it does not give you a problem...there's no problem.
    I'd run it.

Juice1990 and loudbang like this.
  12. Juice1990

Juice1990

I believe that my temp gauge works fine. And will that still work if my plugs and wires are relatively new?

loudbang likes this.
  13. Juice1990

Juice1990

Been without power for a few days but it's back now thankfully. Here's a pic of the shoebox as an icebox.

Which brings me to the next thing. Despite not being able to do any work yet in this weather, I think we've got a name. It's a bit convoluted but since I have the nickname "juice" we started thinking in terms of the "juice box." When I was a kid, that was Hi-C. So Heidi is what we've been calling the car. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

F-ONE, warhorseracing and loudbang like this.
  14. Man you got you some snow there.:eek: When I was last in Camp Shelby back in the early 2000's it was HOT.:( You have to be wanting some hot.:cool: Stay well and be careful.:)

15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I vote for keeping the side trim. These cars are so "slab-sided" that they look awkward without it.
    51DeLuxe.jpg
    Plus, from what I can see, yours appears to be in quite good shape.

16. Juan Ford

Juan Ford

Hello Juice
    I just bought a 1951 shoebox and I will be following this thread for information and ideas for my car. I will be upgrading the brakes to disc and dual master cilinder as I`m not happy with the brakes. I installed a front sway bar from Jamco to improve handling. The car has a few things that need fixing. After reading this thread today I will be cheking the mounting of my steering box and adjustment.
    Juan

HPIM1685_InPixio_InPixio.jpg IMG_2125.JPG

17. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Is Heidi's last name Fokes? Heidi Fokes, that's my name (from an old Ray Steven's tune)

18. Juan; Nice little Sedan you have there. Having one myself and have owned several I know the Stock drum brakes can't do what late model brakes can. That said I also know that when the Stock Drum Brakes are in good operating condition they will stop that car just fine, now that's depending how how aggressive you drive. Also if you live in the Mountains and like to straiten out the curves I might want something better but then you have the limits of the steering itself to deal with also. I would think long and hard being there is NO kit out there that will make doing the change over a simple job for you. I know what the Big Color Adds say but none are as advertised. The aftermarket suppliers are in business to sell parts not make them work for you. I would do a total overhaul on what you have long before doing the change over. There is also a Right way to do a brake job and it's not just installing fresh parts. My advice being your fairly new here, Spend some time reading about all the Headaches that are Self Inflicted by guys trying to follow instructions on a Disc swap. If there's One there's a Thousand, It's a never ending Question here. I don't even reply or try to help on them anymore. Hit the Search menu and you'll see what I mean. If it were as simple as buy this and follow instructions 80 percent of those would not exist. Don't discount what you have unless it's just not good enough for your driving conditions when in it's best condition. This personal point of view is coming from a Guy post 70 and has always believed the Best Stock Car is the Best place to start building Hot Rod. Restored cars are for Old Men and the New Factory stuff is best suited wrapped in Vintage Tin. However not everything needs to be upgraded on all Old Cars just because. Looking at your Car I think it fits in my last sentence. I like your Car, keep it Safe and keep things Simple and enjoy what it is as it is.
    The Wizzard

19. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^ I have to agree with this.^ I have a '51 club coupe with stock brakes and a "warmed-over" '51 Mercury engine. When I built the car, I made sure I used all quality brake components and replaced all of the hard lines, even though they looked fine. I have never had any problems or even complaints on their effectiveness.

loudbang, warhorseracing and F-ONE like this.
  20. Juan, listen to what Pist-n-broke is saying. He is well aware of the capabilities of these cars and yours appears to be sitting at a stock ride height. Have you considered lowering it at all with Aerostar front springs and lowering blocks in the rear? You only have 9 Posts so you cannot PM anyone until you have 10. When you do either PM me or Piat-n-broke for information on the proper handling and suspension on these cars.

21. Juice1990

Juice1990

Y'all can feel free to just share here! I'm planning on lowering a few inches as well so it's relevant.

loudbang likes this.
  22. Juice1990

Juice1990

I don't normally do last names as well. I'll have to check that song out though.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Juice1990

Juice1990

That's such a clean looking car, Juan! Love it.

loudbang likes this.
  24. Very nice Shoebox Juice. I also have a ‘52 Sedan with Fordomatic. Fixing it up now to make it more roadworthy and safe!
    I’ll also be following your build as It seems my build will be mirroring yours.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Juice1990 like this.
  25. Juice
    Meant to say ‘51. I fat fingered when typing on this tiny ass phone!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Juice1990 like this.
  26. Juan Ford

Juan Ford

Hello Guys
    I just want to have the safety of a dual master and disc brakes. The brakes on this car were rebuilt but they don`t work like they should and I have to press hard on the brakes and do it early because it doesn`t want to stop. I`m not going to drive it fast but I want it to stop better. At this time I`m inspecting the car undersides and the location of the brake master. I will need to relocate the muffler pipe coming from the header. I will be reading the installation instructions a few times before doing anything. I still need to buy the brake line,fittings clamps and a tool to do the double flairs. I wont be able to do it soon as I`m helping my brother who just went thru surgery to remove a cancer. I appreciate your help offers and will be asking for information. Thanks guys.
    Juan

loudbang and warhorseracing like this.
  27. Juan Ford

Juan Ford

Thanks Juice. I will be saving the 51 Ford drawings that you posted,All of them look good to me. Lowering the car makes it look real slick!
    Juan

28. Juan; Sorry to hear about your Brother, hope things go well for him.
    If your car just had Brake work and it don't stop for beans I'd question the work done. Not change everything out. If you have to buy the Tools to do the Job and read the instructions a few times,,, well you'll be back trying to work through more issues. That's all okay, after all that's what the H.A.M.B. is all about. Lending a hand.

loudbang and warhorseracing like this.
  29. Yes Juan, very sorry to hear and you are a real friend and brother to be helping him. Some family and friends will abandon a sick individual when they need support the most. We will be here for you when you get ready.

30. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I've heard the term, Korean chrome but as the nickel gives the silver colour and the chrome the protective layer I though they skipped the copper layer?

loudbang likes this.