Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Just an observation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 21, 2021.

1. I am well versed in Southern English, that's how I talk and I ain't here on a grammar scholarship. :rolleyes: HRP

"Just a observation" still sounds better to me since I have been saying it like that my entire life.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  2. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

That first gen Bronco craze if fucking ridiculous. Dont get me wrong, a high scool buddy had a 71 with a 302 in it and it was fun. IT CERTAINLY WAS NOT 100 GRAND+ FUN.
    The problem with prices of certain cars and trucks is rich drunk assholes at the auctions. These guys drive the prices up way beyond reality in many cases.
    As far as projects go. I STAY AWAY!! Most of these projects are stalled because there are some "issues". You may have to rebuild/design many of the components and systems.
    Pick up a driver and go form there.

3. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

People can ask any ridiculous price they want HRP, getting it is something different however. Too much TV and internet I figure. They all see the piece of shit they have in the back yard and think its the same car they just saw cross the block at BJ for $75k and think mines got to be worth at least $20k! I still don't get the folks who advertise a car as such and such with no original motor or transmission and ask crazy assed money. K code Mustangs are an example. Without the original motor and trans it is just another friggin Mustang! One of the first questions I ask when I see something with a crazy assed price is how long has it been for sale at that price. That tells me a lot about the seller and if it is worth a conversation about the car or not.

4. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

$1500
    [​IMG]
    $6000
    [​IMG]
    $ 8500
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    $ 2000
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    $14000
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  5. I learned the hard way about finishing projects. I found that I just didn't have time or space for a couple of projects I bought so I sold my last one about 15 years ago and bought a driver. The one exception was a roller that was a driver before the previous owner pulled the engine and transmission for another build. As I had the same engine and transmission in my shop, it took a weekend to have it running and driving...
    Now I gotta admit, when I bought the T, it would not run for more than 10 seconds before flooding, but it still drove onto the trailer and I knew I could fix the fuel issue. It was the "ugly" that took awhile to fix!

3W JOHN, F-ONE and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. Those pics are pretty good entertainment. :)

3W JOHN, F-ONE and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

In my estimation, prices on the HAMB are quite a bit higher than the rest of the market. I have chalked it up to the idea that people here place a higher value on these cars, and are maybe less likely to realize that the bottom has fallen out of a market. In the case of projects -- guys know how much they have in, and they are trying to get it back out. Not always the case with running cars.

8. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Kinda reminds me of the movie "Blue Thunder" ............JAFO:p

I saw a local listing for a pretty decent 55 Stude hardtop. It was a driver with a decent paint job and interior and 390 Ford engine/ 4 speed for about a $12K asking price. Little negotiation and someone could have a decent driveable car to piddle with. Like always, its just a matter of combing thru whats out there till something strikes ones fancy and pocketbook. Been for sale for 22 weeks

Stude 1.jpg
    Stude 2.jpg
    Stude 3.jpg

9. Ziggster

Ziggster

Just spoke with a guy at the municipal property office and he said property prices have risen 35% since COVID started a year ago! I live on the Quebec side about 40 kms north of Ottawa in the Gatineau Hills. People are selling their properties in the city and heading to the country since they can now work from home 3-4 days week. The National Capital Region (NCR) around Ottawa employs about 130,000 federal government workers! Time to cash in and retire. Lol!

10. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

That car looks pretty well built and clean,but is it me or does it have some kind of hood scoop?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  11. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was wondering the same thing. What a sin it would be to have cut an opening for a hood scoop that it obviously doesn't need. Those studebakers from that time period looked great with out any modifications to the hood. IMHO, YMMV.

12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

F-One and I have been looking at the same pics, lol. As a matter of fact, a buddy of mine bought the $500 47 Merc coupe pictured, as well as a 47 Merc 4 door from the same place. He bought them for yard art, but has been dicking with 4 door's engine, it was locked up but he has got it to spin over now. Who knows, he may even get it to running, he's that kind of guy!

F-ONE likes this.
  13. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All I can tell you is that a vehicle listed as "all the hard work is done" followed by "no title but it is easy to get one" is going to be a problem.

CornfieldPerformance likes this.
  14. $3000...good title, runs...everything works,I bought it. 50pont12_2020.jpg 50pontiacouperear.jpg

15. I just want to get my money back- why do I have to pay for your mistakes?

16. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Yes, yes and Yes.....A great Coupe. I really love early 50s Coupes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There is no way, no way at all that that Chevy is worth half of your car. There's no way 2 in that condition makes one of that Pontiac.
    It would take many, many thousands to get that car to the condition yours is in. I think this is what Danny is getting at.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  17. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

$4K
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    8500 with the Krylon spray and pray...
    [​IMG]
    marked down to 3800 from 6500
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    20000 yes it's a 40 but 20K:eek:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  18. clem

clem

......can be true, my ‘32 standard fordor is rarer than a ‘32- 3 window, 32 - 5 window or 32 - tudor..........
    must be a selling point in there.......:D

19. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

F-ONE likes this.
  20. For every starry-eyed new enthusiast, there's a car out there, just waiting to be transformed into the hot rod of their dreams. The seller knows he's going to make his money and the buyer's got coin to spend. That's a basic fact of this market. or any other. The amount of the transaction is governed by the times( think vintage'' value here) the economy and of course, unrealistic perceptions....(think rusted out hulk,no motor , no drive train, and almost unidentifiable. geography used to be a factor, and maybe still is a little. The internet changed all that. Folks cruise the backroads looking for iron...Some get lucky and that's good. The seller is a different situation now however, unless they're totally disconnected media-wise from the world and have zero interest automotively speaking, they now have a new outlook on the value of the junk in their barn. It may be unrealistic, to the point of being crazy, but the fact is there's always someone willing to pay. The cycle of old vehicle buying and selling escalates another notch, and like all markets, it seems that upward and onward rules the day. Exceptions to the rule exist( no argument there) I'm sure everyone's got a story, about the "best deal ever", but the fact remains that the community has created the monster and we gotta live with it.

F-ONE and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  21. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Yeah...
    I see what you are saying. This thread is focusing on the pricing of "pie in the sky" hulks. It's strange it really is. It's strange that these hulks are sometimes priced just a little below, sometimes more than a running and driving car.
    Of course these are asking prices not getting prices. Truthfully though a lot these hulks in the $1000-$7000 price range are not even good parts cars. For those rough as a cob cars, the value is in the negatives. If you gave some of these away, they would still be too much. Apparently though this junk does sale.o_O

A couple of years ago I had my eye on a 1940 Ford Coupe. Alas I did not have the cash but I did have some capital. My F1 and the 64 Sports Coupe. This 40 was a running and driving car. It was very solid. It was a really nice start. One piece, good floors, good fenders and boards and it ran on a flathead and yard drove.

15K, then 10K, then 8500 and finally 7500. When it hit 7500 is when I made the call.

The guy came out, he was a wheel. That's what he does is buy and sell. I think flipper is too cliched. He was a fellow that buys and sells all manner of old cars. He was not interested in the F1. He liked the Sport Coupe but we never could come together.
    Trying to trade, you are always at a disadvantage. Sometimes it works out, most of the time it does not. Like the old adage, money talks and bullshit walks.

My point is, there was a running, yard driving, solid 40 Coupe for 7500. If you are patient and you have the cash...wait.

Choose wisely.
    [​IMG]
    Be patient. Something will come along that's actually worth it. In the mean time, you'll have to wade through the destroyed Craigslist specials on S10 frames and Pie in the sky...dream sellers.

Here's why I think pieces of junk are priced so high and runners even solid drivers can be found reasonably.

The folks selling these cat turds are not car people. The folks that fork out the cash for the cat turds are not car people either. Soon they may be because "car people" learn. That's a hard one to learn right off the bat.

Lets look at a nice runner. For it to run and drive, it comes from a car person. A true car person is going to price a car more realistically....for the most part. If he has his eye on something else, he's motivated, you can get some good deals or at least realistic pricing that's not orbiting Pluto.

People poo-poo the HAMB classified and yes there are lots of overpriced stuff in the classified but....
    A few years back a guy in Texas had a T Touring tub, Model A truck bed on a Model A frame. That little jewel was banger powered. It ran, drove and was street legal. Man it was a fun little T Truck on a A frame. Wonderful!
    4K:D
    Last year there was a swell I mean a swell 1950 Chevy sedan(daily driver no less) priced right!!! If we could have got together before I saw my 51 Ford, I would have bought that Chevy.
    Last year in MO a guy had a solid 48 Coupe. The car was jam up. It was a solid car no engine but the body was wonderful. He had changed direction and started at 2500.
    He said he needed it gone and started dropping the price weekly and said so. When it got to 1200 bucks I was getting ready to go to Missouri.
    $1000-1200 bucks for a solid, roller '48 Coupe.....good body, transmission, rolling, glass..it had the seat in it.

You cant beat that with a stick.

Save up the cash. The whole trade thing is BS. Be patient. Something good will come along.

thintin likes this.
  22. junkman8888

junkman8888

My oldest son buys and sells classic cars in the KC area. I actually despise "flippers" but he's flesh and blood so I hold my opinions to myself when we go to look at a potential buy. Things that I have learned from him:
    Buying and selling for a living ain't easy. To be successful you have to set your money limits and stick by them, impossible to do when you think with your heart instead of your head.
    You have to be smarter and more educated than your competition. What's hot and what's not changes daily, knowing the market is essential to avoid a "learning experience", and yes, sometimes waiting to pull the trigger will give you a better price.
    You can't be successful following the heard. Most of what he buys doesn't come from any website but from asking every person he meets for potential leads, it is amazing how much stuff is out there that will never be listed on any sale site, the only way to find those deals is through personal connections.

olscrounger, Petejoe and ekimneirbo like this.
  23. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I have seen some both ways that looked good. This one doesn't look well done, but he had to clear the carb somehow.
    Studebaker 7.jpg
    Studebaker 6.jpg
    Studebaker  4.jpg

Me, I'd yank the Ford out of there and go with an off topic low profile injected engine and a 5/6 speed. Then change the hood...........

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  24. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

My thoughts exactly!

25. Sorry, that hood scoop is terrible, car needs another hood. HRP

seb fontana and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  26. I look all the time. I have the two cars I love but I’m beginning to think one is enough but which one do I keep?
    Even if I wanted to buy, prices are way out of my league unless I sold everything to accommodate the purchase. Even then I’d have a project.
    We are currently in OKC visiting my daughter. I always search the local area to see what’s available.
    For example but both are too much for me:
    •Nice salt flat style T bucket ready to drive home at the 14-15k price range.
    • 29 sedan shell roller same price

27. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-3-9_5-6-14.png Friday Art
    Hello,

With the pandemic all around us, the feeling of old ideas and wishes comes to mind. There may not be enough time left for any of us old guys, but, we have been talking about old hot rods since the 90s and earlier sporadically. We had such a great time in our 40 Ford Sedan Delivery and drove all over the western coastline, even into Baja, Mexico. So, we have always wanted a different car for daily driving, but road trips to add in a little of those long ago days.

But, as all good things come to an end, the 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery was sold to get our next level of reliable transportation for the future. The long drives to Northern California on a regular basis would put a strain on the old 58 Impala, so this new 1965 red El Camino was the new car for me.
    upload_2021-3-9_5-7-14.png
    As far as enjoying a reliable daily driver for the next 11 years, the red El Camino never faltered in any situation, any weather and location. It was a long haul road trip cruiser and reliable short term beach cruiser with my longboard sticking out of the back. Nearby Santa Cruz Pleasure Point surf break in Northern California from my college was a good road trip. Since coming back to Long Beach to finish the last two years of school, the meaning of “road tripping” cars was a whole new ball game.

Jnaki

Meeting my future wife in a college class and then the daily togetherness in classes and our daily lives was pretty fantastic. In between those classes, we cruised all over So Cal in the El Camino. But, when vacation times came, we were off to the long coastal drive up the coast, back to the S.F.Bay area surroundings. We could not get enough of So Cal, but for some reason, that northern California city and coastal roads were drawing us back, time and time again.

From zero miles to 120k miles of pure driving environment without any faults, great road trips and total reliability was the outcome. By 1976, one water pump problem was evident, but by 125k, the workhorse El Camino was sold to a local, Dana Point surfer that had a two fold future for his daily driver. A daily surfboard in the back bed area and a tow of his small boat to be launched at the local harbor ramp.
    upload_2021-3-9_5-7-59.png
    Thank you for the great reliability and memories that came from that first click of the ignition to the last wave of goodbye, with a little wetness in the eye. It was just an observation that lasted over 11 years of daily activities and great times going all over California and into Baja, Mexico, with someone that shared your future.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  28. dmar836

dmar836

Just had a friend get another old car. Another friend who found it wanted the Ruckstell. Another friend wanted the wheels. He gave them both what they wanted and he got the car. Who does that? What did I do? I gave my friend a rear end, TT, drive shaft, radius rods, etc. Who does that? I would have given him some wheels but already gave those to another friend a couple years back. Who does that? Not tooting my own Klaxon but even though I had collected for a build my friend is further along now so... I've also made/repaired parts and done upholstery for free for friends. Who does that? Not that everyone is a good friend but guess what? That used to be a thing. A popular member here, a friend, has just given me things that I see for hundreds on here. The hot rod scene didn't used to be about making money. Life didn't used to be about making money.
    Look at the items on the FS forum with literally over 2 yrs of *bumps*. You do you but that's just gross and sad IMO.
    No hate for anyone but this hobby is going the way of every other hipster fashion trend - just not my kind of ''friend" scene. Won't be looking for too many more parts just so I can fit in but will always look for friends. Who do I want to identify with and who do I want to hang with? When you aren't greedy, you have plenty of friends and real ones even reciprocate! Guess what will happen to my cars and parts when I'm through with them? Hmmm, my friends kid is almost 14...
    No offense intended,
    D