Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Just an observation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 21, 2021.

1. I haven't had a project since I sold my '50 Ford coupe in January of 2020 and have been content with doing minor things on my old beater & the Ranch Wagon but I have found myself once again looking at the classifieds both on line and local.

I have been looking at cars and trucks that are considered hamb friendly, mostly projects but It's been a while since I have looked with the intent of buying anything, I was completely unaware that a lot of projects are priced much higher that running cars, I am not referring to the most desirable cars but projects that need everything.

I am looking at a project truck that needs glass, interior, engine and transmission, plus wheels & tires and I found a older build, that runs for about half the price.

I know I have spent a lot of time building Deuces and have come to expect the crazy asking prices but I must have been sleeping under a rock when the 50's Ford & Chevy truck projects started commanding high entry prices.

When did running cars & trucks start to become better buys than projects? HRP

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    Merlin, 3W JOHN, guthriesmith and 6 others like this.
  2. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Maybe the folks watch too much reality car shows (and no wrench time)?
    Folks with running cars have wrench time and are much more in tune with actual "reality".

Russ

3. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Pandemic,I need money,maybe I can catch someone with more money than knowledge thinking.
    Mass thinking...as in I see projects being advertised at XXX and mine is as nice so I'll ask the same.
    Asking ain't getting and I would like to think most of the high priced projects are not being sold and if they are it's off line negotiations with the actual sale price never being revealed.

3W JOHN, Country Joe, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  4. The fantasy world and the real world are still 2 different places. Television has made a huge impact on this hobby in every aspect of it. Selling and building cars isn't "as seen on TV" lmao. Even though the world thinks it is. If i build a complete car, chassis, body, glass, wiring & plumbing, i can't do it in a week like they do on TV. Now if i had a crew of 50 and sponsors, things might be different. I often wonder how long it actually takes them, because i know what's involved, and it takes time. And watching the big auctions just makes my ass hurt twice, first when i see what some of those cars bring, and twice when i see how little one brings, knowing the money and time that was spent on it. Get a cheap old car, make it yours, and enjoy it.

5. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I think the asking price could be based on potential. They think all’s it needs is 100$ engine and a 200$ paint job and it will be done in no time, with no idea of the reality of the time and money it takes to build a car.

3W JOHN, Deuces, VANDENPLAS and 4 others like this.
  6. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

the 50's pickups are very popular now, easy to fix, strong aftermarket support, and can be done to virtually any style from rat to high end, and they can still be used as a truck. When the average new truck costs over 40K, the cost of fixing up an old truck does not look so bad.

7. That makes sense, the old monkey see, monkey do. HRP

3W JOHN, Sandgroper, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  8. Budget36

Budget36

Save some pain, time and $$ and buy the running one you like. I can’t fault someone asking high $$ for what they have, at least you can get an idea if a negotiation into your price range is doable. Many might be trying to hook a fish, but many also know it’s easier to come down on price than raise it.

3W JOHN, Sandgroper, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  9. eldiablooxidado

eldiablooxidado

Lockdowns haven't helped, I think people forced to stay at home has many people rethinking their entire life. Houses in my area have been selling way over market usually within literal days, people are cashing out their investment properties leaving many renters without a home, lumber is super expensive since the supply is low. I work for a powersports dealership and that market is insane with no inventory, new machines months out and lack of used machines has forced those prices up so I'm willing to bet it's similar with this hobby.
    The currently mentality of "if I'm gonna be stuck at home with an abundance of time, may as well get into the garage and find a car/ truck project like I've always wanted." And there's the other guys with I'll never get to it but now's probably a good time to sell

10. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guys with older builds have already had their fun with those cars. Having emotionally amortized their costs, they can price to sell.

Meanwhile, guys giving up on an unfinished project see only their invetment. They set prices with a fantasy of recouping every dollar invested to this point. Anything less is a concession that they’d made a mistake, a thought they can't bear.

Me? Heck, I'm not afraid to admit I make a lot of mistakes. I've gotten good at it. :D

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    Chavezk21, Nick O, clem and 17 others like this.
  11. The pandemic and other issues may be contributing to some of the prices, however I have seen this going on with project cars for decades. Loyd has a very strong point in that the tv programs are a influence . But what the hell do I know,:eek: I have a hard enough time keeping my drag coupe up to snuff.;):)

3W JOHN, Sandgroper, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  12. I have noticed the same trend for about the last year or so. I have seen project Tri-Five Chevys advertised for almost the same price as I sold my running driving car last fall. I agree with the others that say its just people's ignorance of the intricacies of what it takes to build a car/truck. And some may just be guys buying a project for too much money, finding out its harder and more expensive than they realized and they are trying to keep from losing their shirt.

3W JOHN, Sandgroper, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  13. spanners

spanners

When I sold my classic Holden Ute 2 years ago so I could pay out our mortgage and retire early, everyone bagged me out for advertising it for (what I thought was) a reasonable price. "Look what these similar models are advertised for?" they'd say. I would then point out the fact that some had been advertised for up to 3 years.and mine sold and the money was in my bank account the same day I posted the ad.

clem, 3W JOHN, Sandgroper and 7 others like this.
  14. Slopok

Slopok

In many cases you can't build em for what you can buy them for!

3W JOHN, AHotRod, Sandgroper and 8 others like this.
  15. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been out of the "buying loop" for over 15 years and kind of lost touch with the market. And even My Cabriolet was a straight across trade with my old Hot Rod so no help there.
    It seems like yesterday I remember being able to buy a running/driving project for 10K or less, but I guess that was more than a few years ago.:(

What the fuck happened???!!! Are these previously 10K projects now worth 20K? Well, not in my book...guess I won't be buying anything new for a while:(:mad:

thintin, 3W JOHN, Sandgroper and 4 others like this.
  16. wicarnut

wicarnut

Letely, There's been several threads about the market and pricing, IMO, it's all over the place, from my experious/time in the hobby project cars rarely bring good/big money, running driving cars are what seem to be all over, no rhyme or reason again IMO. That's the thing about the HAMB, Many Experts here, follow along and you will get all the advice/answers you will ever need. LOL

3W JOHN, Deuces, hotrodjack33 and 2 others like this.
  17. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

It is crazy out there! One thing I see, probably directly related to the show "Pickers", negotiating price now means no matter the ask, the counter offer HAS to be about half! And people are doing it. Those overpriced stalled projects have sure made older restorations and fair originals look better as a starting point!

18. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

If you can find a running HAMB friendly car cheaper than a similar project car - buy it.

It is very easy to turn someone else’s finished car into your project by fixing things you don’t like about it....

OLSKOOL57, clem, 3W JOHN and 4 others like this.
  19. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unless it is a bargain, I don't even look at "project cars". I'd rather buy a complete running car to start with. Granted, you don't know what's under the paint but you know you're getting all the pieces....and that is worth a lot to me. I tend to pick cars that aren't all that popular and, therefore, the availability of repop parts are nil. I just feel like it is the better path at this point.

I can't believe the prices I see on "project cars", especially those that are obviously abandoned projects. You have to bend over and take it like a man when you get rid of those. I know. :confused::D:p

klawockvet, 3W JOHN, AHotRod and 7 others like this.
  20. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

This has been my possession all along start with the best body you can, especially if you're playing someone to do your metal and bodywork.
    I took my own advice with the Fairlane as it was 35 years old with 50k on the clock. I was lucky because I had been looking for exactly this car when found. Building cars for other guys the last thing I want to do is piece a rusty hulk together for myself. I did redo the motor, transmission and rear suspension and axel and I eventually painted it. At the point of the picture of my avatar I had five grand in the car.

21. I, like many of you, look at the classifieds every day, multiple times. What really gets me is the people that list the whatever the're selling as "RARE". Chevy AD pickups-RARE TRUCK, 4door anythings-RARE CAR. Give me a break people, just cause you maybe never saw another does'nt make it rare or more valuable. I agree, the shows like AMERICAN PICKERS and such are making people think their stuff, sometimes just junk , is worth its weight in gold. For that reason, I'm holding on to my sub par income and being thankful I for the car I have. Mitch

3W JOHN, Sandgroper, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  22. spanners

spanners

Don't forget people mark them as 'RARE' so search engines (motors:D) can zero in when lookers type it in. Like 'BARN FIND'.

3W JOHN, Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  23. spanners

spanners

By the way, why haven't the grammar police chipped in? It should be JUST AN OBSERVATION.

3W JOHN and hotrodjack33 like this.
  24. I'm in agreement with Danny. I'm seeing 65 mustang fastbacks and broncos from the same era bring amazing prices. I'm guessing that is about the vin. I'm in the category that whatever I have for sale must be crap because the only way I sell anything is if it's less than market value. I live in a very rural area with no interstate or airport access and that does make a difference. I'm not going to be the one paying hefty prices for a project. I think we're about to the peak and it will change but I may find I'm clueless. LOL.

25. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe we should just be grateful that the "N" on @HOTRODPRIMER 's keyboard doesn't stick ALL the time. Otherwise it would say JUST A OBSERVATIO.;)

26. HRP,..don't you still have a mid 60's Ford pu?...dig it out.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  27. I think Danny gave that to one of his grandchildren?

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  28. "Vintage" is a big one around here. And as far as a barn find goes, they're everywhere here! Almost everybody has a barn! What's the big deal? o_O:p:D

29. Lloyd is correct, I gave my '65 Ford pickup to my grandson. HRP

30. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

haha , I fixed the title...