Register now to get rid of these ads!

frustrated

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by dadsrebel, Feb 21, 2021.

1. dadsrebel

dadsrebel

Saw items of interest and tried to figure out how to contact the seller with no luck. Joined and signed in, still no luck. No option to start a conversation, no reply or other option on the parts for sale or in the sellers profile. Wondering if there is a restriction on new members but no info about that anywhere that I could find. About to give up after wasting over an hour of my life on this. Ummbaa, you are about to lose an opportunity. Sorry

2. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Think I was on the HAMB for a year before I thought I'd provided enough info, and help to others to use the FREE classified section. But that was 17 years ago and the world is totally different now.

Bob

4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

5. dadsrebel

dadsrebel

ya, but.... read the info on what i tried, after reading the info you referred to. I read it, tried it, and what comes up for me is NOT what that info describes, which is why I was wondering if there is a hold on new folks signing up before they can post to fight the computer generated sign ups. Specifically, I went to the sellers name below his avatar, clicked it, that opened a pop up that has info about him but no email, reply, send, start a conversation or any other option that allows anything but a read only. I just tried it all again and no change.
    DR

6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Did you read it? here is number 3 from the link I sent

3. You must have 10 posts in the forum before you can start a private conversation with another user. (due to spam and scammers)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. dadsrebel

dadsrebel

here is what i see

Attached Files:

8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

go back and read my post just above yours. it is all spelled out

lothiandon1940 and mad mikey like this.
  9. dadsrebel

dadsrebel

read 1 and 2, tried what they said and it already didnt work so i never got to 3
    my fault there i guess
    was/am pretty frustrated just trying to try to buy a part
    maybe ummbaa will see this and contact me!
    or will it work if i just keep posting nonsense to get past 10?
    this computer stuff is tough on an old retired guy
    at least this one

Madedigital likes this.
  10. grumpy65

grumpy65

On the menu in your screenshot you are not getting the "start a conversation" option because, as all the info given states, YOU DO NOT HAVE 10 POSTS UP YET.

When you get your 10 posts done, and wait about 24 hours for it to kick in, the "start a conversation" bit will appear between 'profile page' and 'follow'. Then you will be able to go for your life. Them's the rules....................;)

@ummbaa
    There, I have alerted the seller to this thread for you.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    The37Kid likes this.
  11. dadsrebel

dadsrebel

12. grumpy65

grumpy65

You are welcome.
    Maybe constructive posting would be a more acceptable option. Nonsense posts will not go down well.
    Have a look around the place. I'm sure you will find somewhere you can contribute some positive stuff.
    (Looks like your wanted ad has not got off to a good start.)

13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

15. dadsrebel

dadsrebel

Ya, I get that but as the title suggests, pretty frustrated just trying to buy a part. Dont even need it. Just might like to have it. Dont like spending tons of time on computers, too much stuff to do. Wasnt looking to join a whole new deal. Just wanted to make an offer on a part offered here. Had no idea it would require so much time and effort and delays. Back to the shop to try and make up lost time haha.
    I will refrain from nonsense posts and move on. thanks

16. dadsrebel

dadsrebel

You just peaked my interest. I will check these out
    thanks

17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

this is a really cool place, I would suggest sticking around.....

18. grumpy65

grumpy65

And you are now sitting on seven posts. Only three to go. Don't stop now. Much as Moriarity said above, this is a great place when you find your way around. Great info, great people, and a great free classified section. The 10 post thing is actually there to protect members from possible scams, and that's a good thing.................Stay, and enjoy.:D

lothiandon1940, Thor1 and Moriarity like this.
  19. You take 'em by the hand, you walk 'em to school......and then they sleep through class!:rolleyes:

20. Bye. !

The37Kid, Thor1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. 404ORD

404ORD

7 posts to go.

22. You're doing good ain't ya!! You know, you could actually interact with the car guys and gals in the forum to achieve the owners requirements, and then use his free classifieds, just my opinion, but you're doing a great job, keep up the good work

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Sounds like you are giving diving lesions, how tall is that ladder, are you a right or left foot kicker?

hotrodjack33 and Thor1 like this.
  24. Sarcasm..... just one of my many certifications.

25. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

Look at Lloyd over there, handing out Lesions left and right. None for me, thanks...;):)
    By the way, don't Google "lesions".:eek:

26. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, it looks like @dadsrebel has left the building...perhaps he ran off and joined the French Foreign Lesion.;)

SDhotrod likes this.
  27. mmerlinn

mmerlinn

There would be a lot less confusion if the thread https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/cant-reply-to-classified-ads.699639/ was updated.

The FIRST thing I see is:

Anyone, especially noobs, could correctly assume that there are no restrictions and read no further. Referencing Line 3 (which does not exist here) further confuses the reader since he sees lines 1 and 2, but no line 3. Therefore I believe a LOT of confusion would disappear if that header was updated to reflect the current reality.

28. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

You click on the link - Line 3 shows up.

The37Kid and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

But you have to be smart enough to click on the link.......reading comprehension seems to be lacking to a lot of folks anymore.....

Peter Nowak likes this.
  30. The37Kid

The37Kid

And 99.9% of them have cellphones.