Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Flathead build and dyno test video

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stuart in mn, Feb 20, 2021.

1. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I happened across this video tonight, it's an interesting explanation of a mild flathead build along with a dyno test.

2. Dutchnola

Dutchnola

Well it has a pretty good stroke over 4 inch not really mild but mild appearing.

Nice video would love to have it.

3. Thanks Stuart, interesting results with the air filters....:(

walter likes this.
  4. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

I found the air filter difference interesting as well.

The knocking sound that the motor made on the dyno didn't sound too good to me... none if my flatheads sound like that... but maybe the long stroke and long rods / short piston is causing piston slap?

5. Ziggster

Ziggster

Thanks for the link. I think the engine made great torque/ hp. I’d like to get mine dynoed when I’m done. Agree that the ticking noise doesn’t sound good. Hoping it was something to do with the dyno setup and not the engine.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  6. That is one of the best build videos I've seen in a while. Doesn't surprise me though, with Keith Dorton behind it! I think that ticking noise is probably just one or two valves that need readjustment.

7. v8flat44

v8flat44

The paper elements in those air cleaners are the culprit. Had one on a single carb, 3.75 stroke/Max one, Offy heads,8Ba . Ran terrible. Used the same chrome pot with an old school screen type element & it made a HUGE difference. .02 cents

8. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool video! Those air cleaners cost a bit of HP! Thanks.

9. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

10. Koz

Koz

Interesting video. I am really amazed at the difference with the paper element air cleaners. I knew they made a difference but that is a lot more than I ever imagined. I like the Edmunds large ovals from Vintage Speed. I'd like to see how they fare on a 2x2 setup. Great video!

11. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Man, that ticking noise bugged the crap out of me. If it was valves out of adjustments you have to take care of that first IMO, before making a power run with it.

12. Truckedup

Truckedup

That flathead was not a low budget build. I would think the guys doing the work are very experienced. I also heard the noise..Apparantly the shop workers didn't hear it or didn't think it mattered or the noise was some strange acoustic sound heard only on the video.

13. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

That noise is evident right away in that video. I don't know how you release that video like that, something isn't right.

14. walter

walter

The air filters cost way more HP and Torque than I ever imagined! Its amazing to me how much work and expense to NOT reach 200HP. I agree with the noise! I would be afraid of that kind of rpm with any kind of ticking noise!