Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs skirt etiquette

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by khead47, Jan 15, 2021.

1. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife's old Panel Deliv. was kinda laughable...which was the whole point. There was no reason to ridiculously "over accessorize "it, other than to make people smile...or maybe they were just laughing at it. Either way, we had a lot of fun with it

The laughter abruptly stopped when a guy from Long Island offered me "STUPID MONEY" for it...and I sold it out from under her:eek:

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      270.3 KB
      Views:
    Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always figured that those guys who put skirts on cars that had a nose down rake were wanna bees who just didn't have a clue as too what looked right. The "Oh I gotta have" without putting a lot of thought into it brigade that is prevalent on a lot of things.

stanlow69, guthriesmith and K13 like this.
  3. Yup and then use the tried and true "I want to be different" excuse to justify it.

4. Special Ed

Special Ed

To correct some bad info ... a few makes of cars actually came with skirts as STANDARD equipment from the factory. Don't overthink it.
    [​IMG]

5. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I guess I'm just a "clueless wannabe" then.

I love the look and stance of @Al T 's 37 Cabriolet and want a similar look for my '36. It's a perfect example of a pre-war Ford custom without being a just another taildragger.
    If you can't appreciate a little thinking that's outside the (leadsled) box, I gotta wonder who's really clueless here.

Al, I hope you don't mind me reposting pics of your car...I love it:D:D:D:D:D:D

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  6. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

I think it's possible to feature skirts with an unconventional stance. Maybe not quite "nose down,"but certainly level. You have to tiptoe to get it to look right, but I've seen it done well.
    1940-ford-2-dr-sedan-flathead-v8-3-speed-all-steel-frame-up-restored-no-reserve-10.jpg 1940-ford-2-dr-sedan-flathead-v8-3-speed-all-steel-frame-up-restored-no-reserve-8.jpg
    1940-ford-2-dr-sedan-flathead-v8-3-speed-all-steel-frame-up-restored-no-reserve-4.jpg

7. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

All of this makes me think of a question often asked by women, "do I look fat is this dress?"

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  8. 54vicky

54vicky

I am in the ass down choice is a right not a rule

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  9. 64krusty

64krusty

just got my skirts from The Fender Skirt Depot in Arizona, shipped when they said they would and cost what they said they would, I'm happy, now i have to fit them and paint them 41 chevy skirts.jpg

10. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Those Caddy Spiders look so nice..

11. [​IMG]
    To the OP - they'll look great with the tail down a little & wide whitewalls.
    Stock on this '57 ragtop adding to the sleek look.

12. Roothawg

Roothawg

So, to me it's not a rule, but just a good idea.

No one says you have to wear your underwear under your pants, and you can wear them on top, but what looks better and will people laugh at you?

chryslerfan55 and chevy57dude like this.
  13. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Looking good!!!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I have seen a few cars which look good with a substantial rubber rake and skirts — I've always thought @raprap's '40 Chevy pulls it off well. I've seen others that don't work at all, so to an extent it's a shot in the dark until you do it. One way to shift the probability closer to success might be to go for a style of skirt which shows a bit of the rear wheel. Here's a Photoshop exercise I did on a '46 a while back, which I reckon could stand a bit of rake quite easily:
    Greaser Bob '46 02.jpg

I'd also done an exercise on a Morris Minor following the same pattern (if you'll forgive the short sidewalls):
    morris 1000 side - edit 03.jpg

Both were inspired by the skirts on the Alvis TA21 of the early '50s:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  15. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

16. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-2-28_4-53-59.png

Hello,

Skirt etiquette? How about 4 ladies out for a weekly cruise to the local shopping center for a relaxing day of a nice lunch and gobs of clothes/accessories? I just happened to be out in front of our Westside of Long Beach house, just after my brother drove away in his 58 Impala. so, wouldn’t you know it, my mom and her friends were just getting ready for an all day assault on the Lakewood Shopping Center Mall. (about 9 miles away to the East…)

“Lakewood Center is a super-regional shopping mall in Lakewood, California and the oldest shopping mall in the United States that is now enclosed, having first opened to the public in 1951 and being enclosed in 1978.”

Sure, there were favorite shopping department stores downtown Long Beach city center, but going shopping at a relatively large outdoor mall was a cool thing to do since the grand opening in 1951. It was the first of its kind. The "skirted" 52 Chevy was one of a kind as our cousin's mom was the only mom that drove any car. So, it was always the car of choice on any extended family adventure.

Jnaki

Well, the skirted 1952 Chevy sedan belonged to our cousins. We learned to sit and shift the column shifter when we used it as a playground. The toddler cousins and my brother were older, but I was right in there shifting with the best of them. I was fast with the clutch, too. Of course, the seat was pushed as far forward as possible. We went thousands of miles in our brains, all the while shifting with the best of them… “The road outside of the window was endless…”

When the ladies all piled inside the 52 Chevy sedan, all forms of proper etiquette, that was so popular back then, went out of the window. As you can see, the Chevy and the laughing ladies pulled out into the street accelerating fast to the corner. But, our neighbor in his new black 59 Impala was right on their rear bumper. I am sure there were some choice words spoken in the 59 Impala at the smiling ladies going shopping. What a time period that was back then.
    4 ladies out for a spin

The slang title for this post could be, " 6 skirts out for a spin..."

17. Von Brush

Von Brush
    from Corfu, NY

If you can see the rear wheel, the skirts are too high! I would include photo of my 57 but the community won't let me.

Sent from my 9024W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

stanlow69 likes this.
  18. Lady-like skirt etiquette. She’s cute.
    Sorry, you were talking a different kind of fender skirt.
    Back to your regular programming.
    FCA271D2-B61B-4354-98C8-1A68D6C86A95.jpeg

alanp561 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with your comment " To each their own ". And, I think your lowered shoebox would look really good with radiused wheel wells. :cool:;)

20. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Never seen one so I Googled it. They do look cool like that. You're definitely right tho, to each their own. Saw some sectioned shoeboxes on another thread, and oh man, I absolutely hate it, but I can see how some guys would dig it. Other cars I think look incredibly good sectioned...

I don't plan on cutting into this car. The next one will be a project to cut up, but this one stays as is....

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  21. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Here's my 49 with and without skirts.
    received_341112383677409.jpeg received_382310056505149.jpeg

Busted Knuckles and 210superair like this.