Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Those with stalled projects, do you really want to finish them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BamaMav, Nov 25, 2020.

?
  1. YES!

82 vote(s)
    85.4%
  2. Maybe?

8 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. No, I just want to talk about what I have.

6 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. fordcoupeguy

fordcoupeguy

I try to do at least one thing every day. Next thing you know, its done! 20201120_111007.jpg

2. That would be a resounding yes!
    Rolled my roadster back into the workspace for final sheet metal tuning. Turning the body over to my good friend who is a body guy next month to finish it up. Assembly will be quick as the chassis is 100% completed. I need to rebuild the 6 carbs and assemble that induction package. 100 little things including a single e-brake cable and a sable to shift the 2 speed rear end. Closer than I think.

Attached Files:

The37Kid likes this.
  3. Morgan Milstead

Morgan Milstead

God, this Mark II of mine. The conditions for acquiring a car let alone building it are never right if you are going through life. I’ve had this car about 3 years now and with a new interior I am 1/3rd of the way done with it. I suppose how I keep pushing ahead is keep buying parts/supplies/setting aside a little money for it every once in a while and then getting a burst of motivation and furiously pushing ahead on a good week or weekend off until you run out of parts or supplies. It also helps not to take off too big of bite and tear everything down to a point to where it becomes too dreadful a project.

Attached Files:

Moondog13 and The37Kid like this.
  4. goldmountain

goldmountain

Time to elaborate on my stalled project 1947 Plymouth. It has sat since 1996 with stuff now stacked on the roof and the trunk is overflowing with junk. I stopped driving it due to a noise coming from the area of the rear axle bearing. Since it just sitting in the garage, I got to thinking that I wasn't that happy with the fit of the doors so just assumed that it was due to the top chop. Talked to a bodyman who suggested that I could jack it into shape with a portapower. Never occurred to me to actually measure anything. Jacked it until there was substantial body movement - cracked the windshield. Finally, I got out a tape measure. The doors fit fine above the belt line where the chop took place but the door gaps disappeared towards the bottom of the doors. This was the same on both sides of the car. I started to look over the car more closely. I had previously replaced the hood with a really mint one that I had louvered and while it fit great at the back edge, there was this overbite at the front. Sighting along the bottom edge of the hood, the gap between the hood and the fender was a bit off. The fender swayed downward a bit in the middle. There was lead - a sure indication of previous work at the front of the rocker panels. Looks like the car had a direct front end hit at some point in time where the structural problems had been overlooked. To fix this, I figure that I should cut the car at the front of the door edge through the rocker panels and correct that. At the time, my garage wasn't big enough to disassemble the car enough to do this so it sits. Selah. Time to reflect.
    Now it is a quarter century later. I now have a garage big enough to accomplish the task, but other cars have since jumped the queue, but the way I think of it; it has been time well wasted. In the interim, my car building skills have improved. I have a bunch more tools - Tig, English wheel,etc. There is also, the Hamb and all the great information that is now available that just didn't exist back in 1996. The down side to all this is that I'm running out of time - when will it run out and leave my widow with a mess to deal with? Money is an issue too with retirement. Those parts that are needed for the car should be purchased NOW while the guys that make and sell them are still around. After all, if I'm retired ; why not them too? There was the Plymouth Doctor. He came and left before I did anything.

The37Kid likes this.
  5. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

About 8 years ago I built a 289 for my Fairlane, it took me probably ten years to assemble all the parts to start the build then after it came off the dyno I realized that I needed to mechanically enhance the car to handle my new power. So I've been collecting suspension, brakes, transmission, rear axel, cooling parts etc. to bring the car up to snuff. Butt now that I have parts all over my house and shop I'm not up to snuff, legs don't work worth a damn but I have decided that this spring I will be out working on the Fairlane one way or another. That old Ford is going to be my physical therapy this summer.

osage orange likes this.
  6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Now that I'm 70 my goal is to have both Model A bodies in finish primer ready for paint. Having one road ready is just too far in the future to worry about, if it was finished what would I do with it?

Bob

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  7. trollst

trollst

I posted on page two with my 36.....all the shit I was gonna do to it this winter, well, none of it happened. Elsewhere I posted about friends dying, I've lost five friends in the last six months, really threw me for a loop, so much so that for the first winter in my adult life, I haven't been in my shop to actually work on anything. Sure, little bits here and there, fixing house shit, but no car stuff, not even at friends shops, the couple friends I still have. I drop in and watch, but get home soon, not willing to participate, can't seem to get my car shit together, hoping better weather does the trick.

osage orange, DiggerJoe and The37Kid like this.
  8. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I really didn't mess with my 38 the first 2 years of owning it but really got on it the third and fourth year. By the time i got it running I sold it. I wish I would've finished it. I sure like my finished 49 though. received_257259572087394.jpeg Resized_20200619_132432.jpg

9. Pitbullgoingpostal

Pitbullgoingpostal

Now that I have my shop cleaned, again; now that I have pushed it around for another year, again; now that I have spent a few more thousand dollars, again; I'm ready to get started, again... I will drive this car before I die!

osage orange likes this.
  10. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

I have a few ongoing projects, and yes, I do intend to finish them. At least to my liking, probably never really finished, just safe drivers. My '55 Chevy bugs my friends who say I should put it together soon. The thing is, I drove it several years ago before tearing it down, the other cars I've not had the pleasure of driving them around as I would like. So on to the next driver and hopefully I won't run out of time or effort before I get to drive the '55!

11. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm pretty satisfied with how my projects move along. For me it comes down to making it the choice of how I spend my leisure time. I don't watch TV much at all, I used to be a big team sports fan but choose to spend my free time living my life as opposed to watching others live theirs. It helps me to set goals so that I feel driven to get past a certain point in a project by a certain date. To be truthful even perusing the HAMB everyday is downtime that could be spent otherwise but I do it after I'm happy with the progress I've made for the day. :)

12. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I was quasi-building a 59 Edsel Ranger custom for my wife. To be honest, I'm not sure if I'll every finish it. I probably will because I have a thing about finishing the things that I start. It will be an awesome car when it's done, but I'm not 100% into it. That's the biggest takeaway I got from that project; no more projects I'm not totally stoked about.

I hope to get back to it sometime this year. It bums me out when I get FB memories of stuff I did on it and it's from like 2-3 years ago.

13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for asking.
    Oh good... my opportunity to whine and bitch a little.
    Might even express some sentiments others have here.
    I hope you don't mind.

63 years old, crazy about old hot rods since I was 3.
    But for some reason... or reasons... I haven't managed to do nearly what I wanted to do or what I thought I'd be able to do.
    I got almost no guidance or encouragement in my young life. Mostly, discouragement.
    And as much as I love them, and as many times as I've tried, I've had some setbacks. A lot of starts and stops.
    Truth is, some of it has absolutely been my fault. I could've done better at times. But son-of-a-bitch, guys... I've had cars, parts and equipment taken from me, cars vandalized, and a lot of promises made over the years that weren't kept.
    Upsetting. Frustrating.
    Tried to stay determined. Got good understanding and encouragement from my wife. Managed to procure a handful of cars and parts for future projects. Almost had my 37 Chevy coupe on the road.
    Then shit happened and I sold everything in a panic. Damn... I think maybe I should've found a way to hold back a little. No more 37 Chevy coupe. No more model A roadster.
    Crap.

And I'm thinking...
    Can't a guy like me do at least one full build in his whole fucking life? It doesn't even have to be fancy. Just something I can have a little fun with and be proud to say that I built it myself.

Maybe. Maybe not.
    No guarantees in life.

So here we are.
    Older.
    Less time, money and energy.
    Seems, fewer good old cars available and affordable, too.
    But still passionate.
    Still determined.

Settled on this farm owned by 82 year old Judy, where I live and work. She was here alone with not a lot of help for a long time after losing her husband. It's a big place and a lot of things got neglected. I needed a place to be, and she needed somebody who's willing and able. I've done as much as I can for 4 years, now. Lots of day-to-day work, and lots of huge long-term projects. Crazy. Believe me... I'm perpetually sore and achy.

But it's good to be needed. And I'm gaining. I think it's getting close to being time for my reward. Having fewer big projects here, and more time, money and energy to do something for me.

Got this 53 Chrysler. Always wanted to build a pre-war Roadster or Business Coupe. Maybe I still will. But considering everything... this Chrysler will do for now, and I'm happy to have it. Shoot... at this point, I'm happy and thankful to have anything at all.

So, I still like to keep it fun...
    But it's pretty important to me.
    I guess you could say it's become "personal".

So...

Hell YES, I wanna finish it.
    Hell YES, I wanna have it, drive it, look at it, polish it and show it off.
    Hell YES, I wanna share it here and have you guys yell...
    "You GO, Rick!" "Good job!"

I think some of you guys will be more like, "Well I'll be damned... He actually did something."
    Me too. LOL

14. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe get stoked about making your wife happy. It could have it's benefits. Bada Bing!

15. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can do it Rick! Just keep fighting the good fight and keep your eye on the prize! It ain't over til it's over.

16. 60Pioneer

60Pioneer

My project was stalled almost from the beginning. It was a 14th birthday gift when I loved cars, but had no clue what to do with one. It took a year to form a basic plan and get started on the teardown. Then it was 7 or 8 months at a bodyshop. Then some assembly. Somewhere in there was engine parts collecting, machining, building. Then 8 or 9 months at an old timers house to do the glass, he took his time lol.

Then a couple failed college attempts and a complete redirection of life. Ended up at UTI and got way too into VW's. Then I entered the dealership world and 14 hour work days don't leave much time for projects. All of the while my poor Dart fell into the "I don't care. It's always been there, it'll be there when I'm ready." category.

A year or so after I got married, we took a cross country road trip to New Mexico to see my wife's family and there were hot rods and classics everywhere. Actually being driven! I also got the opportunity to run through an old junkyard and shoot some film. All 30s - 60s cars and trucks. Needless to say that trip put me back in the right mind and to hell with all the OT stuff. Even still the project stalls every year around Thanksgiving and picks back up in January. I'm very near the finish though, this will be the year! 22 years after I got it lol. Pheeewwweeee. Thanks for the therapy session y'all.

Rickybop and osage orange like this.
  17. I feel like my project is stalled all the time. I'm finishing my 40' x 50" shop and told myself I wouldn't buy any more car parts until the shop had heat! Its now insulated and a heat source is the next buy. Priorities suck, that's all I can say!

TrailerTrashToo and Rickybop like this.
  18. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fxxk the priorities. :mad:

:D:D:D

19. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Always enjoy your posts Rick. Always honest and entertaining:)
    I too am the victim of "life getting in the way" and stalling (stopping) my project.
    Take a perfectly good usable primered hot rod...blow it apart for paint and fix a few things.
    36cab.jpg

The wife has some medical issues and that slows the progress. Then I break my fucking ankle...progress stopped. Now it sits in my buddy's shop in pieces:(
    36a.jpg 36c.jpg
    My cast came off last week, and after being laid up for 2-1/2 months, I'm itching to un-stall this project:). It WILL be ready for summer!!!:D

slim38, TrailerTrashToo and Rickybop like this.
  20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, Jack. :)

I like your Cabriolet a lot.
    It'll be worth the down time, I think. It'll be nice in paint.
    What color?

I'm gonna get mine running with not much in the way of paint or interior or anything fancy to start with. But I've got all the fitting and fabbing to do.
    Your car is pretty much built, but you've got all your body and paint work to do.

We'll see who's car gets on the road first. I'll race you.
    And if we ever meet in person...
    I'll race you! :D
    Good luck! Have fun!

slim38 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  21. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Rick, you got a deal...we'll go racing:D

I do have an advantage as I have already worked out/fixed most of the "Build bugs" last summer. now its just a matter of making it purdy.

Color? Valspar semi flat black...just like my last 5 hot rods;) Going for more of a skirted custom look. @themoose did this for me on the photoshop thread.
    36photo.jpg

Rickybop likes this.
  22. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I have multiple old cars in the garage. One that really matters to me, a 1964 El Camino I bought at 16. I get it, it's not going to be everybody's cup of tea. But it's my favorite car.

I also have a 1951 Henry J, waiting in the wings as they say. Being a Chevy guy, I built the best Chevy engine I could for it which took literally years. Now I need a chassis, which is going to be another big expense, since I don't have the skills or experience in fabrication to build it. Once that's in place, I can do the rest, but if somebody came along and offered me a reasonable amount for the body I don't know that I'd pass. My son would be forever grateful if we stuck the engine in his car.

Devin

23. BDUB77

BDUB77

I also have a 64 El Camino that I bought when I was 18. It’s been a 15 year project that has stalled more than once. I did make some progress last year.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

24. blvdbill

blvdbill
    from California

Driving my avatar 32, stalled on my 34 5w and 30 cabriolet shop.jpg

25. 54chevkiwi

54chevkiwi

Stalled project, do i really wanna finish it..?
    Not in the slightest.
    Got it running, just needed fitting the windows and a driveshaft, sold the engine to build a more powerful one, still waiting on parts for that since october, selling that engine and then the wait on parts has pretty much killed it for me. Have tried selling it 3 times in the past 2years, not one bit of interest. So now..it sits as an annoying liability.
    22C292E3-FFA1-48DA-9118-3B46FEDBEF8A.jpeg 95C7B191-DE02-4820-9AD3-F004841275B1.jpeg 6037DBA1-87CB-48B0-A7F3-E38949945C5D.jpeg 032E1083-23A9-47C8-A541-B682B4DEB656.jpeg D6B1D2F2-86BF-4FAB-8D3C-A07C3F426BC0.jpeg

26. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

My 34 Chevy Master 5w coupe is going to become an unfinished dream. I made it too elaborate at too old an age and now my wife passed away last November so I didn't even renew our AACA membership. I have suffered through all the "ifs" like it didn't HAVE to be converted to all steel, it could have done fine without the channel job, it could have a sbc instead of a 4 cam Merc Marauder engine, The 34 frame would have been fine but time was used up setting it on a Progressive Automotive chassis etc. All these things prevented what was really important---my love and myself going on some cruises. It's just frustration taking up space now but at 84 hopefully the pain is nearly over. It will never be painted but if it was I'd have a graphic artist paint "Heartache" on it. I guess the hard learned lesson is be realistic at what you can physically do in later years and get it done even if it means farming out things you used to do.