Register now to get rid of these ads!

History I guess it finally happened, I have turned into my grandpa

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Feb 18, 2021.

1. j3harleys

j3harleys

We carried dimes for a phone call. There were phone booths every were.

2. j3harleys

j3harleys

I was in Salina Ks. a few years ago in my 54 ford, The battery went dead, got a jump and drove to the Wallmat across the road to get it tested. There were 3 young guys in the shop. I popped the hood as one was testing the battery another pointed at the generator and asked what is that, I told him, Then he asked what does it do, kinda laughing I told Him. He said he had never seen one.

3. j3harleys

j3harleys

Oh by the way the dead battery was caused by an old dumbass that forgot to turn the lights off.:(

4. My older by six years Brother turned 80 :eek: today! I remember when he bought his brand new 1959 Chevy Impala. :cool:
    Man time fly's, but we lived in the best of times. ;)

5. 6inarow

6inarow

HA. I have read about that but never done it.........

loudbang, j3harleys, Roothawg and 4 others like this.
  6. I'm guessing that you were tuckered out from throwing the ball and Fido was tuckered out from chasin' it. :rolleyes:

Lil32, loudbang, Roothawg and 2 others like this.
  7. Well, read all the responses here and the main inspiration I got was to go get some roundhouse bibs. :D I actually didn’t realize they were made just a few miles away. Watching the video reminds me a lot of my company...at least before we were bought out by a publically traded bigger one... Pretty sure we have way too many younger folks not caring whether something is made in USA or not...meaning we will someday not have much made here, but just be a nation of consumers...something I don’t want to see in my lifetime.

8. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, but he earned it in a good way... You probably did also.....;)

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

Yep, once you start wearing them, you’ll wanna wear em everywhere. I went to a redneck high school and they were the fashionable choice when Izods and Polos first hit the scene, but you had to leave one strap hooked, but hangin. Man .........we were cool.

I dig that the roundhouse manager wears em with his tie. That’s classy...;)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    41 GMC K-18, loudbang, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  10. That's not all bad, you woke up and can do something on your cars/trucks. My dad was a musician that had to wear suits and tux's, I'm putting on my tux and working on my rods and customs. Also I'm a 35 Ford truck nut, ran away from home at 13 and lived in the bed of one for 2 weeks that my 16 year old friend had with an Olds engine, you should send me one of your left over 35 trucks. HAHAHahahah!!!!!

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Roothawg like this.
  11. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Next time try, walking into a store where the owner is actually in person. Talk to him/her and have a conversation. This is what it was like/and still is. But people want to save $3 dollars on a $15 dollar part. This has ruined our Buy American way of life. And the build it as cheap as possible so we can sell it as cheap as possible.

trollst, ClayMart, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  12. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW!!!----Love all the great comments!!---I'm only 88, BUT sure remember so many of these happenings. As far as the "Bibbs" go, working as a steam fitter/welder in the trade, we always wore "Bibbs" over regular clothes because of the high sparks emitted both in cutting & welding. We did not wear wristwatches, just an old windup pocket watch with leather shoe string tucked into top spot on the "Bibbs". My Grandpa wore his too. Grandfathers & Fathers cars 005.jpg

Lil32, loudbang, Deuces and 10 others like this.
  13. My kids...well they are grown, laugh at me because I don't like the new gadgets. I still have a land line phone, just got cable recently because it was cheaper to get phone, internet and tv all at once. I had been using an antenna for 30 years with no problems. I don't like air conditioned air, I prefer to have my house windows open in warm weather, my truck is the stripped down, no frills, roll up windows kind. I fix appliances that break if possible, I have never played a video game and don't see the attraction of it. Hell, if I hadn't stumbled upon this website I would probably drop internet. I used to look at facebook, but it was either boring as hell or waaay too much information being posted on that crap site.....I simply do not care what you are eating or when you go take a dump!
    The world has changed, I have not, and I don't like it. People in general suck and now we have too many, they are everywhere you want to go to be alone.
    So....I agree with you Roothawg

trollst, loudbang, Deuces and 8 others like this.
  14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

No one in my family wore Bibbs but I am going to look into them,I am the last of my friends to get a cell phone and my friend who never been on the internet got one before me.

loudbang, Deuces and guthriesmith like this.
  15. Roothawg

Roothawg

You won't regret it.....

16. Budget36

Budget36

I can’t go totally back to my grandparents, both side were ranchers, one grew grapes and walnuts, the other rice. Both of their tool boxes consisted of some old double open end wrenches a few screw drivers and hammers. How they kept a the tractors and equipment running, no clue.
    I do have 10 or 12 air tools, but mostly use a ratchet. I have been known to spend hours straitening out used nails for reuse. I’m sure they did too. But in reality I’m just tight.

17. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Going to Rural King in a few minutes to look at some and a tool box.

18. Roothawg

Roothawg

Once they are broken in, you'll wanna wear em everywhere. Even to church.

19. I already wear bibs most of the time when I am working...mine were my grandpas that he left me when he passed away. I just need some for church too...sounds like the striped ones are for that. :D

ClayMart, loudbang, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  20. Roothawg

Roothawg

Basically a redneck pinstriped suit.

21. s.e.charles

s.e.charles

no wonder i was always sore afterwards.

22. s.e.charles

s.e.charles

for those special sunday-go-to-meetin' occasions, get yerse'f a coat ta go with 'em: Brown Duck Chore Coat - LC King - Made In USA – LC King Mfg

[​IMG]

don't mess with those hipster-dufus skinny azz coats. these ones
    seriously, fits so a sweater can be worn under it and the sleeves don't bind up on ya.

23. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

thought you were going to say you ate prunes and told someone to get off your lawn ,

Roothawg, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  24. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Going to get some in a couple weeks,the monthly bills will be coming in shortly so no extra money.

Roothawg, loudbang, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  25. Chris, once I wear out my three pairs of Key Imperials, I'll be shopping for some Round House overalls. When the 'rona hit, I pretty much ditched all my regular jeans and went to the overalls full time.

26. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Hmmmm, seems we are blending right in with this nostalgia traditional stuff. LOL. Imagine that. Lippy

loudbang and Roothawg like this.
  27. HarryT

HarryT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

41 GMC K-18, Lil32, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  28. Spex84

Spex84
    from Canada

A thought on the "hypocrisy" of using the HAMB and eschewing technological doodads: you can do both! It just makes you a Digital Minimalist. Not even joking, it's a lifestyle choice.

I just read a book the other day that describes how many younger people are starting to realize what a massive drag on their time and psyche the social media bandwagon can be, how addicted they are to their smart phones...and they're starting to quit social media, buy flip phones, only check their emails once a day (instead of every 5 minutes), write actual paper letters to their friends and family, fix things instead of buying new ones, enjoy activities without documenting every second on video, and other bizarre behavior :D

My take on it is this: if enriches you (the HAMB) then keep it. If it sucks your money, time, and soul and leaves you feeling tired and hollow, then consider taking a step back. You're allowed to pick and choose.

Personally, I'm stressed out about various "new shit" (even though it's been around for a decade) and I'm struggling to learn and engage with it so I don't get left behind and become a clueless old fogey before the age of 40...but it goes against my deep desire to only admit into my life the stuff that gives to me, instead of taking away.
    Who am I kidding, I should just buy that "get off my lawn" hat and get it over with.

29. Roothawg

Roothawg

I find myself researching things like blacksmithing, leather working, upholstery, permaculture gardening, gun smithing, wood working etc. I couldn't care less about digital crap. The HAMB is literally my only saved site these days.

30. Where do you all buy work boots? I'm in need of a good American made recommendation.