Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Yes, it's a '56 Ford!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1stGrumpy, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Sounds like progress to me Jim!

Big mike 1968, loudbang and 1stGrumpy like this.
  2. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

I find that you will get more help from bumper to bumper than you will most other parts places.

Big mike 1968, loudbang and 1stGrumpy like this.
  3. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

That's good progress! Remember that those intake manifold studs are tapered and go into the water jacket, so you'll need a sealant to seal the threads, otherwise when the system pressurizes it's going to give you an annoying leak that's hard to track down.

The Motorcraft 2100 is a good carb, and my 272 actually ran great with it, though I'd obviously prefer a better carb like a Holley or Edelbrock 4 bbl.

It sounds like you're on the right track, keep it up!

4. Plus they give jobber discounts!

loudbang likes this.
  5. Thanks for the reminder, I had forgotten about that!

6. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Yblock! Have fun wid'it!

7. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very nice Mild Kustom. You are going to have a lot of fun with this one. Kool to start seeing '55 & '56 Fords running around. They make great mild to wild Kustoms. At one time only @guthriesmith was the only one around. You have some very kool company.. Keep us updated with your progress.

8. Yeah, he's already taking credit for it, see post #14!

loudbang and straykatkustoms like this.
  9. Got her put back together, today, and all the vacuum leaks are a thing of the past. Waiting for the Electronic automatic choke to arrive from Mike's Carburetor and then it will be all squared away, well that part of it anyway!
    Still have to decide which way to go on the gauges...
    go this route with SW gauges...
    s-l200.jpg
    or rebuild the stock gauges?
    Plus I have the glass in both doors to replace. Glass in both wind wings is bubbled and both door glass are cracked so I'll need to go through both of the window assemblies with new glass, whiskers and such.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  10. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Take a look see with the valve covers off and make sure it's oiling right in the rocker shafts? Maybe check valve lash while you're in thar. Cool car!

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nothing better than a Happy Grumpy...congrats and have fun with it...;)

12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. manyolcars

manyolcars

Those are odd colors but its a beautiful car!

Big mike 1968, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  14. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I resemble that remark ;)

Russ

15. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Had a 1959 Ford F150 with an unknown replacement Y-block which I needed to drive to work (it was a very expen$ive divorce). No oil to the rockers. Local mechanic told me this trick, it worked for a year until I could get my $hit together and buy a better beater...

1. Remove rockers from one side

2. Screw a zerk fitting into the oil passage in the cylinder head. The zerk will self tap. FORCE grease into the zerk - you are attempting to force the crud in the passage backward.

3. Remove zerk and start engine on the remaining 4 cylinders. Bring up the RPMs to increase the oil pressure and hopefully push all that grease and crap out the oil passage.

4. Repeat until you get good oil flow. Then reassemble the rockers.

5. Do the other side.

6. Good luck and happy motoring.

Russ

16. Thanks Russ...

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  17. Another month has gone by but with "Honey Do's" and working on the oldest Grandson's off topic El Camino, I haven't had a whole lot of time to work on the '56. I have managed to squeeze in a few afternoons in the shop, though!

Got the old heater assembly removed but I haven't decided what I am going to replace it with, most likely will be a Vintage Air heat, defrost and cool unit. I put one of those in the '46 business Coupe and was really happy with it.

Got the new 15" chrome wheels and new tires on the front, I will eventually put some on the rear but for now, I'm going to run out the 14's since you can't see them with the Mercury side skirts anyway!
    100_1901.JPG

Removed the old tuck n roll package tray upholstery and Sue reupholstered it with plain black vinyl. The old stuff was all dried out and cracking so this is much better.

Got the trunk cleaned out and sprayed it with black undercoat. And added a new trunk liner.

Found some 1960 Dodge Dart tail light assembly's on eBay and got them installed this afternoon. Still need to get new bulb sockets and get them wired up. The rear looks a lot better, me thinks!
    100_1900.JPG

ffr1222k, 54delray, MO_JUNK and 12 others like this.
  18. Well, it's been awhile since I have posted anything on here so I guess I will bring this thread up to date.

It's been cold out in the shop and I don't do well in cold weather so I have been doing more parts buying than parts putting on for the past month or so. I have been addressing the interior and steering for the most part...

19.JPG 18.JPG
    All the side glass is either cracked or bubbled so it's all getting replaced. While I am at it I will rebuild the window regulators and replace the door panels since they are water damaged. The upholstery is in good shape so I am going to attempt to remove it and put it back on the new boards.

Since my steering box was completely shot, I decided to pick up this used steering box that was said to be in good condition and have it rebuilt.
    9.jpg 14.png 15.png
    but as you can see, it wasn't. Being that this is a 3 tooth box and the sector shaft gear that I need is not reproduced, I am pulling my original box out in hopes that it can be gone thru...

20.JPG 22.JPG

brEad, Truck64, drdave and 4 others like this.
  19. Ice man

Ice man

Love the 56s. She's a keeper. be sure to check the front crossmember, then RIDE. Iceman

loudbang and 1stGrumpy like this.
  20. Prior owner has already had the cross member repaired.

loudbang likes this.
  21. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Who's doing the steering box rebuild? Lares?

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. Now that it looks like this cold and snow is going to be pushed out by warmer weather, maybe I can get back to the project and install all the stuff that I have bought.
    I have already replaced the vacuum wipers with a Newport electric motor, installed a new stereo system and am in the process of picking up a new Vintage Air heat cool and defrost unit, hopefully the deal won't fall thru.
    Beside all the interior work, I have a set of Aerostar springs to install and I still have to check out the rockers and make sure that the upper end is getting the needed oil. This ought to keep me busy for a little while!

23. No, I am having Powersteering Inc in Nixa, Mo. do it.

24. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Cool, let us know how they do with it. I looked into Lares doing mine since my '57 steers like the Santa Maria. If you buy the deal through Rock Auto it's like $200 cheaper than if you go to them directly. Crazy. Would be good to have options though

Jeff Norwell and loudbang like this.
  25. The one thing that usually goes bad in these is the worm gear inner bearing races. These are part of the worm gear and not replaceable. Ford machined the races onto the worm then hard-chromed them and final-ground them for fit. The plating wears and then starts flaking off. As the gear was welded to the shaft, it used to be you needed an exact replacement as the shaft length changed every year but they are making a kit now with a weld-on worm gear.
    1956-1957 Ford Passenger Car Steering Box Repair Kit (macsautoparts.com)
    This kit is off-shore sourced (Argentina) but it appears the worm inner races are only flame-hardened. Do ask your rebuilder how they deal with this.

I've always wondered why you couldn't find a separate inner race for these and machine the old races off the worm and press new ones on.

26. I had planned on buying one through Summit, they had the best price, but like Rock Auto they didn't have any in stock. I talked to Lares, they had one but said that they wouldn't accept my box for exchange because of the sector arm gear. I would have to pay the core charge plus the cost of the box, that would have run over $1000.00 with the shipping.
    Powersteering Inc cost is $279.00 plus the cost of any hard parts like the worm gear. They are only a couple hours north of me so there isn't any shipping involved. I have talked with them on several occasions and they strike me as stand up people. Told me if I didn't want that other box put back together that there would be no charge, $35.00 if I did.
    I 'll take the box out of my '56 up there next week and pick up the other one. Hopefully, there won't be any problems with that one.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  27. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

That's really good to know. I can only imagine what my worm gear looks like, I measured 270 degrees of backlash in the steering wheel. I'll have to reach out to them.

1stGrumpy and loudbang like this.
  28. Joe, here's their info...

Powersteering.com
    607 W. Kathryn St.
    Nixa, Mo.
    417 374 7627 Marty

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    chryslerfan55, MO_JUNK and loudbang like this.
  29. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

1955-56 Fords! Great cars, always liked them.

1stGrumpy, loudbang and Bbdakota like this.
  30. Looks like you’ve been busy! Ended up with the whole week off due to the weather and got a little shop time but not as much as I’d hoped. Made a little progress on sorting bugs on the Chevy motor.....hopefully actually a driver by the SK. Lol