Register now to get rid of these ads!

History I guess it finally happened, I have turned into my grandpa

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Deuces

Deuces

I love this old guy....... Happy Birthday in case I forget 3 weeks from now....:):cool:

2. Deuces

Deuces

My bad....:oops:o_O:oops:

3. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

This is the place to be. I Understand, I understand, Trust me I understand.

loudbang, Deuces and williebill like this.
  4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I was reading an article just today about a battery drain on new 2021 Ford pickups, one of the folks quoted stated, " He actually had to use the key to open the door". The horror! A spoiled generation for sure! I miss my old 84 F150 4x4, I know, too new for here, but it had a manual lever for the 4x4, manual locking hubs, ac, pb and ps, and that was it. Vinyl seat and rubber floor mat, it was tough, rugged, and never failed to get me where I wanted to go. In contrast, my 99 F150, if I don't drive it for a couple of weeks, all the damn computer junk drains the battery. I can live without all the electronics!

I miss the simple slide controls for the HVAC systems, push button door locks, a radio you could actually change a station on without having to look at it, mirrors that stayed where you put them. If we lived in an area where things were closer like they were when I was a kid, I'd only have old stuff. But since the wife has to go 50 or 60 miles one way for DR's appointments, I want her to be in the newest, safest, most trouble free vehicle I can afford for her. I can get by with my old stuff myself, I seldom go anywhere anyway.

Oh yeah, I have a couple of pair of LIBERTY overalls in the closet. I only wear them in spring or fall, too hot in the chest in summer and too cool in the legs in winter. But I wear suspenders and a belt with my jeans now, haven't got enough butt to hold my pants up with just a belt anymore! I'm in between normal sizing, 36 is too tight, 38 is too loose, so I have to go with the 38's. Jeans and western snap shirts have been my wardrobe for 50 years now, I don't see any changes happening soon!

5. scrubby2009

scrubby2009

Or percussion caps.

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  6. rpm56

rpm56

In order to not be influenced by other posts, I wrote my reply before reading the others. That is dead nuts on Roothawg. Our fathers and grandfathers were dedicated hard workers who got stuff done. I wish I was half as smart, talented, patient and as cool as my dad.

20210218_203038.jpg

7. Thanks, hope I make it. Sidenote, all my ancestors came from Grand Rapids.

loudbang, Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. trollst

trollst

Well, I gotta say, I only read the first page, BUT, all you hypocrites typing away on a keyboard, ordering from far away places, amazonians, credit card heroes, yep, you're the original different types.
    Me? Got a flip phone, use it when I break down, or for the hospital to call me about my old lady. Otherwise, it's not turned on.
    I don't internet shop, nothing comes by mail or truck to my house, cause I live out of town, a small town, at my house there's no cell service. If I gotta buy something from afar, I get my local parts guy to source it, bring it in and make his commission.
    I don't bank online, I go to the bank.
    I use cash, no need for the gov't or anyone else to track my purchases.
    I have a visa card with a $4000 limit to get me home if I break.
    I got $4000 cash in a jar on my dresser, some money invested in a bank, enough to feed my adult kids for quite awhile when I leave.
    I drive a 13 year old truck to pull my travel trailer.
    If I need it, I make it.
    My lawn mower is a woodwards $150 unit I bought when I got married, been through 5 junkyard decks.
    My tablesaw I bought the year I got married.....40 years ago.
    I'm difficult, more so this year.
    While I still use power, I try not to, keeps the costs down.
    My computer is 15 years old, I surf the net, mostly the hamb, doesn't stream well, old and slow like me.
    I wear clothes till they're no good for anybody to wear, my woman will patch the good stuff for more, she hates it, but I love it, my daughter cuts my hair and it shows, but two weeks hides that, welding hats do a good job too.
    I love hot rods, old stuff, old men, ( I are one ) even old good looking women.

Thor1, b4autodark, seadog and 4 others like this.
  9. brando1956

brando1956

Gotta look into those Roundhouse bibs. Have worn out several pairs since I got to the point where I wa spending way too much time pulling up my pants. Best work wear for me.

Started wearing suspenders with my jeans a couple years ago when I had a near disaster. Took Charlie (my avatar) to Dr. Pohl for a checkup. Some of you have probably seen his show. He's been our vet through 30 years and many dogs. They were filming when we were there and they asked me to pick up Charlie for a photo opp. I squatted down to pick him up and when I stood up my jeans wanted to stay on the floor. I'm trying to hold 40 pounds of squirming dog with one hand and trying to hold up my pants with the other. I narrowly escaped displaying my ass on national TV. They haven't shown the clip and I hope it's lying on the cutting room floor. Would hate to show up on "Dr. Pohl's Blooper edition."
    Ordered a pair of suspenders the next day.

Tman, 302GMC, AVater and 5 others like this.
  10. Oldb

Oldb

Turned 65 last summer, been a grandfather for about a year now. Not ready for overalls yet, but have been looking seriously at suspenders.
    My dad talks about riding on my grandfathers lap while he drove a team of mules pulling a hillside combine in the Skyrocket hills north of town. Says he will never forget all those ears.
    B

Roothawg, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  11. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

Dude,
    You have got it figured out. I have been talking to my best girl about moving to the lake and get back to living.

12. Magfiend

Magfiend

Man, I could not have said it better myself!

13. clem

clem

What are bib overalls............?

loudbang likes this.
  14. I switched to wearing braces (suspenders are something else entirely over here) about three years ago. As you get older belts are too uncomfortable, think hose clamp....

Sent from my moto g(8) power using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

We had internet installed 11 years ago so I could join the HAMB. I gave the kids the option of the that or cable TV. Only watch netflix. Flip trac phone for me only when I leave town. Otherwise it`s off. I buy a years contract of 400 minutes and never run out. Hardly ever buy anything on line. Never sent a text, or taken a pic on my phone and rarely use my wife`s E mail. I don`t have it. Call me on the landline, if I`m not there, leave a message on the answering machine. Never use a credit card and can you believe I`m self employed. I`m 51. Haven`t change my clothing style since I was 16. Tennis shoes, blue jeans and a button up shirt with a pocket. Tucked in with a belt. And wear a car T shirt for car shows. Can`t remember the last time I wore shorts. Just for medical reasons(operations). Drive newer(15 year old) vehicles that have proven them self as good reliable and that will last. I buy so I don`t have to run to the hardware store everytime I need something. My granddad wore Key brand bib overalls. My dad wears them a bit now. I`m not quite there yet. Not sure I ever had a pair, I don`t like change.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  16. wicarnut

wicarnut

I never met or knew my Grandfathers, both my parents passed on in my 30's, but I see my Dad in the mirror every day now. I am a Grandpa, enjoy the time I get with them (logistics is a problem) and do miss the old days in some ways, IMO progress is good and bad. I do not try to live in past times, techknowledgey wise or in anyway, except I enjoy my old hobby cars, many good memories from my lifetime family/career/car hobby and life in general has been good to me. I did not turn into my GrandPa or Dad, both my parents were from depression era, never complained, just passed on their stories of how they survived tough times which to this day I realize how good I had/have it, all I had to do was work towards my goals/dreams. Best advice ever from them, " There are No Excuses, Make it Happen"

17. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

At 71 I consider myself an official old fart. As far as new technology goes I pick and choose things that help me get thru the day easier and safer. Still wear my official uniform of black shirts, Levi's (only Levi's) and tennis shoes. Parents grew up during the Depression so I still have some of their habits. Others I had to let go because it wasn't practical anymore. I could go on and on but I have some of the same bitches that have already been said.
    I do like that "keep off my lawn" cap but living in Az. I don't have a lawn. I guess mine could say "keep off my dirt".

18. Roothawg

Roothawg

If you were really old school, you would carry a bag phone.....geeesh poser.

Tman, Dan Hay, trollst and 5 others like this.
  19. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gotta love the simplicity of bib overalls. I used to wear Key brand, Ben Davis, OshKosh B Gosh, but over the years, Carhartt brand seemed to be the most comfortable for me. One thing about bib overalls, people that worked for a living, were always recognized as that, " a worker " And to this day, it still means that. It indicates that you are not sitting in a cubical staring at a monitor ! A good set of Red Wing work boots, was always a good investment as well. So here is a little tribute to the working mans uniform.

" Everything old is new again "

IMG_0237 (3).JPG stearman.jpg plow (2).jpg IMG_1416 (2).jpg plumber.JPG

20. alchemy

alchemy

I don't have any bibs, but I do hate modern tech. I'd much prefer to find my 1948 winged Stewart-Warners in mechanical than electric.

Here's to all us old farts outliving our lifetime supplies!

21. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

...the older I get, the smaller a "lifetime supply" gets ! ;)

22. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you try hard enough, you can actually do it!

23. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

Roothawg, Deuces and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  24. Dan Haines

Dan Haines

I also noticed that I have been buying things in "lifetime supply", only at my age, the supply fits in the same box.
    Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

wicarnut, j3harleys, Roothawg and 2 others like this.
  25. wicarnut

wicarnut

Anybody besides me now chuckle/laugh at the "LifeTime Warranty" hyped on a purchase. A young man put a new roof on my snowbird nest here in Az. I mentioned to him, look at me, not much of a warranty for me anymore, LOL. 57Custom300, "Keep off my dirt" here's my sign "Get off my Cement and Gravel"

Lil32, 41 GMC K-18 and Roothawg like this.
  26. s.e.charles

s.e.charles

if i could only find a 36 hp VW ....

that didn't cost 100k!

27. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I have a good friend that drives new Cadillacs. We went for a ride and he was showing me all the "great" stuff on it. Hands free driving, lane departure, super cruise, parks itself, yada yada. I told him I don't like that stuff and don't want it on my car. If I wanted to be a passenger, I would get a ride. But I want to drive my car myself.

56don, Deuces, Wanderlust and 2 others like this.
  28. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

seems pretty harmless, 40 sets of plug wires for 40 bucks. It allowed me to be a hero one day last spring when @PasoJohn stopped over in his 58 plymouth convert. It was barely running, I opened the hood and his wires were cross arcing like crazy. I got out a set of my 1 dollar wires and put them on. Double benefit as it was his birthday, so ... birthday present and car repaired all rolled into one

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...al-please-help-me-i-am-such-an-idiot.1166485/

Tman, Thor1, 302GMC and 17 others like this.
  29. ^^^^Great story, Mark^^^

Deuces, Roothawg and Moriarity like this.