Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Upholstery for '58 Ford Custom 300

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 58 Ford Custom JimB, Feb 6, 2021.

1. First time poster!
    I am looking for new upholstery for my newly-acquired project... a 1958 Ford Custom 300 Tudor. Local upholstery shops want an arm and a leg and then some to recover the seats. I was wondering if anyone here knows if the seats were the same in the Fairlane, they look almost identical from pictures I have seen. Any help is appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. RmK57

RmK57

The actual seat would swap over from different models. The seat trim / patterns are different between Custom, Fairlanes. Also the obvious difference between a four door and two door seat.

3. Thanks RMK57... I am tempted to get an upholstery set for a 2 door Fairlane and give it a try. Any other input would be appreciated!... would any one else make the gamble?

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Only if the have the dip are they different. If a shop is going to install what ever you get, I would have them add a spring or 2 in your seating area. Won’t show is height or anything like that but make it a lot more comfortable than sitting on 60 yr old springs.

Elcohaulic and sidevalve8ba like this.

5. 58 Ford JimB. Where are you finding the Fairlane sets?
    Most people will say SMS but they will take your money and take long and are pricey.

stanlow69 likes this.
  6. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

[​IMG]

Those are not too bad. Actually it's pretty good. The seat backs look presentable.

I think you are counting the chickens before they hatch. I would rate upholstery low in the totem pole right now. There's so much more that's more important.
    Does the car run well?
    Does the car stop well?
    Is the electrical system in good condition?
    Is the fuel system in good condition?
    What about the suspension?
    Does the car have any structural problems?
    Does the car leak? ( not weather proof)
    Do you have a place to keep the car out of the weather?

I made the "mistake" of rebuilding the seat (when actually I was not ready for it) in my F1. I have this pretty seat and a junky truck. Last year I had a rodent problem in my building. Rats got in my '65 F100. By the time I caught it...they made a real mess. So I did not want to store my pretty seat in the shop. Now I'm tripping over the dang thing in the attached garage. I don't even have truck anymore yet the pretty seat is still here. The new owner is my brother and he's storing the truck outside on a concrete pad....He's not ready for the seat so I'm storing it for him.
    The bottom line, the truck was not ready for it, now it's in the way. I should have waited.

Here's a suggestion if the seat bothers you that bad. Go to a upholstery shop and get a roll of fabric that matches the grey color of the seat. Get some hog rings and a set of pliers. Take the seat apart and cover the bottom. You make it nice and neat by tucking, folding the material and securing with hog rings.
    It looks nice, much nicer than a cheap and cheesy Indian blanket or rug.

You can have that seat/seats looking nice, really cheap. Then you can fix the rest of the car. When the rest of the car is up to par....get your nice upholstery.

7. Thanks jimmy six... I'll keep that in mind. The springs are in surprisingly good shape for the age of the car.

8. Thanks for the checklist!... I wanted to start thinking about the seats in terms of budget. She needs a few things first, along with a paint job, before the interior. I have also thought about getting a heavy duty sewing machine and making the covers myself... I have pretty good fabrication skills in wood, metal, etc... vinyl shouldn't be too hard, especially with the existing covers for a pattern.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  9. Called SMS... way out of my budget! Also talked to John at AutoObsession in Cali. He couldn't locate the goods for the Custom 300 but I'll have to call him back and inquire about the Fairlane.

abe lugo likes this.
  10. A few more pics...

Attached Files:

11. I was not sure that was your interior. That def not that bad. I would clean up all the panels. Use contact cement for that area on the window handles.

the bench maybe able to be repaired from under.

the main thing would be to remove it all and clean it and install heat shield on the floor and firewall and a New carpet. You can find those on eBay.

also the headliner if it’s intact. Just clean it up. Otherwise another thing that can be found on eBay.

do you have the sill panels for the carpet? Pm me I may have some.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    X38 likes this.
  12. Be aware that the Fairlane 500 series seats all have this drop down in the centers, even the split back front seats.
    20200704_104952.jpg

13. Thanks Abe... I do have the sill panels. I have removed the carpet (shot) and the headliner (shot)... will be buying new for those.

14. Thanks for the information. I have an email in to AutoObsession, waiting on a response. I'll post some information when I get it.

15. Can you post where are finding Fairlane seat covers kits? That are not SMS?
    Links? Thanks

16. I'm not finding anything for the 50's../ Mac's, Pro Fit, Dennis Carpenter have covers for vehicles in the 60's.

17. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I always preferred the look of the Custom 300 over the Fairlane . I always said that’s my favorite 50s car .Custom 300 , hammerin FE , 4 Speed , finer than wine .

18. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Jimmy six is right on with the springs.

19. When I saw it I knew I had to have it! I sold my '88 Camaro convertible and was looking for something with a back seat for the Grand Daughter... figured I would go "old school" since my wife suggested I have something more befitting of a Grandpa. I just love the lines of the car, it has a great stance and plenty of room for comfortable cruising!

20. Thanks WB69! If I find the covers online I am going to install them myself... I'm a real hands on guy and I like doing as much work as possible on my projects.

21. So the photo I posted of my Red and White back seat is just one shot of the Total Package I got. I got a Total interior kit with Red carpet with backer molded to fit. As Factory Hot pleat door panels with insert and scuff guard as well as a correct material headliner. Now that was 20 years ago. I googled them up and they are still in business. Try talking to the Guys at ABC Auto Upholstery 1634 Church Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania. This is Concourse Correct upholstery work from them and even back then it kind of took my breath away so hold on to your Wallet and maybe be sitting down. I'll also add it was money well spent.
    20200704_105109[1].jpg

abe lugo likes this.
  22. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those squiggly front springs and clamp clips are available on line thru suppliers today. Look up Auto upholstery hardware and zig zag springs..I’ve got a small supplier about 5 miles from me for clips, material, glue, foam, washer screws, etc good luck..

23. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Zig zag springs.

24. I have a 59 it’s hard to find stuff for also. There’s a prison here that has a work program where u just supply the materials May want to check local trade schools etc.. I found headliners and visors at WLS Headliners haven’t bought them yet but they look legit

25. Morgan Milstead

Morgan Milstead

Fords, Lincoln’s and Mercuries from the 50s have foam rubber stuffing that turns to yellow dust once you sit on it enough. I’ve made that mistake a few times letting a seemingly intact interior sway my decision on paying more for a car thinking it would last.

26. Morgan Milstead

Morgan Milstead

I put an Acme headliner in my Mark II. It turned out super nice.

Attached Files:

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  27. Awesome... thanks so much!

Morgan Milstead likes this.