Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Advice for new guys, the guide to help you stay on track and not end up with a half finished project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Oh...and one other thing I'll add, and this is just because I know how I am.

One of the most important things for me to do is finish the brakes before I ever fire the engine. Once I get it running, I can't resist wanting to drive it!

When firing a motor with a fresh manual transmission, unless you are absolute positive that you have the clutch adjusted as it needs to be, there is a good chance that you will have clutch drag causing the vehicle to want to move. I usually fire it up with the rear tires an inch or so off the ground just to make sure that I don't have an unfortunate incident with the garage wall.

Thor1, Lil32, guthriesmith and 2 others like this.
  2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Lists are good, but letting lists become "rules" to build by can result in many young builders becoming discouraged and just give up. If I could tell any young builder anything, I'd tell them not to let others dictaate so much about how they build that they end up giving up.
    It's great to be able to keep a build correct for an era, and it's even better for it to look exactly like an era. But it's probably easier done by guys who've been building for many years than it is for young guys just starting out.

I encourage guys to try to get in the garage as much as possible. And also encourage them to get out on their projects, even if they think they've only got 15 minutes or so of spare time. I can't tell you how many times over the decades of building that a 15 minute time allotted turned into a few hours for me. But the more you don't get out to the project, the more likely it is to not finish it. A one or two year build can easily turn into a decade long unfinished project if you ignore it very long.

I too like to get a car to rolling status, and even get the drivetrain done too if possible first. But it just doesn't work out that way every time. Sometimes the body is so badly rotted and rusted that I start on getting it repaired, and into solid condition first, and then move to suspension and drivetrain. Getting all the suspension and drivetrain done, and then working around it, or trying to keep it clean while making a mess of body repairs, just doesn't always work for me.
    And another thing that discourages me is if I get tired of one part of the build, and just keep forging ahead. I often just change directions and go work on the engine build, or sheet metal repair, or whatever; just as a change of pace. When I return to whatever was frustrating me, it's not nearly as bad as it was before.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    Budget36, cktasto, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  3. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

Great stuff here. I'll add, don't start a ground up 3 year project by building the expensive engine. Wait til farther down the road. Those fresh cylinders, lifters and bearings would be better off without 3 years worth of grinder grit, bondo dust, humidity, and God knows what else! Yeah, you can tape and cap and seal, but it always gets in.
    Also- I agree tires and wheels at the start, but know that your tires are probably going to be dangerously aged by the time you hit the road! I just hunted down some worn old tires for my next build in the exact sizes I want in the end, which I will buy when I'm ready to hit the road, to maximize their usable lifespans.

Thor1, bchrismer and Roothawg like this.
  4. Terry D

Terry D
    from NY

That is the best advice in this thread.

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

Or one that is trainable at least.

Just Gary and Budget36 like this.
  6. TCATTC

TCATTC

My philosophy is get it running, make it reliable and safe then drive the wheels off of it. Driving an unfinished rod is a lot of fun. Make improvements when you can and have fun with it in the meantime.

Boneyard51 and Thor1 like this.
  7. wicarnut

wicarnut

Lots of good advice here, I'll add a few, Baby steps, IMO for your first build, KISS method, Keep It Simple Stupid. Many moons ago I received this advice and I've used it myself. In the beginning a newbie is usually short in several areas, skills/space/tools/knowledge/money/time and a plan which has been outlined here well. I've read 20% of projects are finished by original starter. I myself bailed on a project 32, had all the necessary items with exception of the time, still running my shop and a good friend/mentor pointed out at the rate I was getting it done (still in my early 50's) I'll be on Social Security LOL. Another thing that has worked for me is having a driver hobby car to enjoy while I was working on a hobby car. another important item IMO, the $$$ 2 to 3 x guestimated, the time again minium 2 to 3 x. Great Thread for a rookie to read to get real advice on what's involved, TV car builder shows have not done any newbies any good on the reality of our car hobby.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    cktasto, X-cpe and Thor1 like this.
  8. I think the best tip has been to buy a project you're in love with. If you don't really care for 32 fords but all your buddies think they're the top of the hot rod heap? Then don't get a 32 ford. I had a 32 five window project and had to sell it off because I really, REALLY wanted a 33-34 coupe. I bought a worse piece-a-shit 34 than the 32 ever was but my enthusiasm for the 34 kept me working on it for 8 years of body work and another year of chassis work before I ever turned a wheel. I never lost focus because I was building at the top of my bucket list.
    It's said to network with similar minded gear heads. If I didn't have by buddy, Jimmy [super gear head who've I've known since summer 1980] to do the body work while I did his mechanical work, Larry to chip in with some badly needed 34 parts,Dar to supply me with Pontiac parts and a tow vehicle, the HAMB to listen to my bitchen and my wife who tolerated my time away to play with the damned car , I might have gotten frustrated and quit.
    Go for it! 34floors1_09small.jpg 34frameinprimer3_18.jpg 34lakegood.jpg

9. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I think the best advice on this thread , is to keep the project running, so you can drive while working on it. I know this cannot be done on all projects. The other really good advice ,mentioned, is to not completely disassemble the project! I have seen this many times. I believe the worst was my son’s friend’s project. He bought a really nice 51 Ford pick up original paint no rust, ran great, true surviver. He totally disassembled that truck, tryied to chop it. Found out he couldn’t. Left it behind his mom’s house. She got tired of it, he hauled it all to the scrap yard! I think he violated every rule mentioned here!

Bones

wicarnut, Lil32 and Thor1 like this.
  10. Got that one down, traded the old one for a new, compact model

Beanscoot and wicarnut like this.
  11. My advice is to not get a rare debilitating disease, that will certainly put the hault on some projects.

20180630_111019.jpg

12. That's very true......Not because the marker ink has failed, but one's list might be a lil long for accomplishment in a time frame. I always keep adding to the list, which is a good thing in a sense, White board get's certain "modules" done = front/middle/back/inside, etc........ The board is for a "area" project. The whole mind trip gets written down in a binder which stays with the car. A PDF get's the whole deal broken down for the whole thing.
    I guess my best advise to those would be= Don't try to eat the whole shit sandwich in one bite....... A lil at a time will be easier, and satisfaction will come/keep enthusiasm when tasks are completed. I've been guilty of being starry eyed, but age will learn ya also. Focus grasshoppers!

Thor1 likes this.
  13. Roothawg

Roothawg

One thing I do, is I have to finish it out completely. If I start driving it before it is 100% complete, it's the kiss of death. It will never get finished.

14. True dat. I guess my 34 is finished. On to the 50 Pontiac project!!!!!

Tman and Thor1 like this.

15. And I bet that age/experience came into play with that........I'm guilty of that also....... But- are they ever really finished? It would be tough IMO for a younger fellow to adhere to completion 100%. You know how us "car guy's" are! LOL!

Thor1 likes this.
  16. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

I like the 100% completion line of thought. This line of thought works for me because I always hold on to my rides for along time. Make your ride just how you want it before you share it with the public.
    Then drive the fuck out of it so you can move on to phase 2. If your like me you never stop tinkering with your ride. That's what makes all this shit fun.

Thor1 and Lil32 like this.
  17. I have little to add. I always try to finish and item before moving on. Whether you use a list or not, having unfinished items will suck the time out of you and not accomplish much. For me the budget is a big deal. Many ask "why do you care"? I believe life is a business and the dollars are always important. If it's at all possible, don't start the project unless you have almost enough money to finish it. Even if you have to save for years, being able to have a steady flow of progress will help mentally and allow purchasing parts at the same time that match the build design. This has been stated but I think the best is to be real honest with yourself. If you're not a "completer", maybe you should consider buying a finished car. Many have no idea what they're getting into. Be realistic. Final thought: never buy anything you wouldn't want to own forever. You may find you were only crazy that would own it. :)

Thor1 likes this.