Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1934 5 window coupe chop - race car build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fgnailhead34, Feb 17, 2021.

1. fgnailhead34

fgnailhead34

Just another 34 5 window that is getting chopped :). Quick backstory on the car; a friend of my Dad's, Gale Plummer, who has since passed, hauled this car back from Klammath Falls, Oregon in 1963 for a friend of his named Bud in the bed of his brand new GMC truck. The car sat in Warrenton, Oregon, which is a coastal town, outside under a tarp for who knows how long. A little over 10 years ago my dad and I were lucky enough to purchase a few of the cars he owned and this was one of them. The car was blasted and stuck away in the shop waiting its turn.

With Covid and being allowed to work from home it was time to get started on it. Over the years, my Dad and I had collected numerous parts and patch panels so I got started with some of the rust repair. Typical bottom of the doors, rockers, rear wheel wells all needed attention. I am not very experienced with patch panel repair and have never chopped a car so there will be a lot of learning. Will try to keep pictures as I go along.

Plan is to build a full on race car with a blown sbc. Always liked the 554 car and the show element of the "Mazmanian" cars so looking to use inspiration from those cars with this one.

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

winr, Marcia, bymanr and 13 others like this.
  2. fgnailhead34

fgnailhead34

More rust repair. Plan on redoing a portion of the top of repair.

Attached Files:

RustyBullet, nunattax, slim38 and 7 others like this.
  3. fgnailhead34

fgnailhead34

Subrail and Floor repair Drivers side subrail repair.jpg Firewall foot repair 6.jpg Drivers side subrail repair 1.jpg Firewall foot repair 3.jpg Floor replacing 1.jpg Floor removal 1.jpg

brEad, bymanr, The 39 guy and 8 others like this.
  4. fgnailhead34

fgnailhead34

Had Shroeder speed and custom build a frame in their jig and mounted the rear end and front end so we could roll it out. Schroeders 1.jpg Schroeders 2.jpg Chassis coming home.jpg Body on Chassis.jpg Body on new chassis.jpg Body on new chassis 2.jpg

brEad, bymanr, The 39 guy and 12 others like this.

5. fgnailhead34

fgnailhead34

With the body bolted down and quite a few measurements taken. The top is ready to be removed. Chop Layout.jpg Door chop.jpg Door chop 1.jpg Rear window chop .jpg

Attached Files:

6. fgnailhead34

fgnailhead34

Set the top back on after cutting out the metal to get a look at the new profile. Going to need some trimming and need to lay the "A" pillar back but it's on its way to becoming a race car with attitude! Chop back on car.jpg Chop back on car 1.jpg Chop back on car 3.jpg Chop back on car 2.jpg

7. evintho

evintho

Excellent build. Looks wicked with the chop! Keep the pics and updates comin'!

tdog likes this.
  8. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

If you haven't watched it yet, Walden Speed shop has an excellent video series of chopping a Coupe. It's worth checking out.

Stogy and tdog like this.
  9. There was a time when '34 bodies like yours and mine would have been scrapped or used for patch panels. Nice work! In my case the floors, cowl feet, door bottoms and other structural rust repair was ok but not near as much fun as chopping the top! Some days I wish I'd leaned the a-pillars on mine... 34floors1_09small.jpg

brEad, tb33anda3rd, 48fordnut and 4 others like this.
  10. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

I've always been partial to this roof line on the 15 OZ coupe....But you are doing one hell of a great job on your hot rod.

Stogy likes this.
  11. I like where this is goin, blown sbc in a fuel altered 554 style....HELL YEAH !

Stogy likes this.
  12. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

cool ! keep us posted

Stogy likes this.
  13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Derrick, glad you started this thread, and are making great progress. You have come a long way, since you ran into the front of my shop, back in '86. Seriously, he did hit the shop, with his Dad's 34 pickup, I am not bitter, he was only 2 years old ! He pulled it out of park, and it coasted to a stop, against my front door. I have been working on projects with his Dad Bob, for many years. It's great to see him making his way in our hobby, and building a car that is safe, and well detailed, like their Deuce sedan. IMG_3829.JPG IMG_3830.JPG

brEad, Blues4U, Pist-n-Broke and 12 others like this.
  14. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The chop totally changes the attitude of the car. Nice work, keep it up.

-Abone.

Blues4U, Roothawg and Stogy like this.
  15. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

Looking great ! Keep up the good work

Stogy likes this.
  16. AHotRod

AHotRod

Very nice work

Stogy likes this.
  17. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Holy shit!

Stogy likes this.
  18. brady1929

brady1929

Nice. Sweet hot rod.

Stogy likes this.
  19. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like a waste of a '34 coupe to make it a "full on race car". You have done beautiful work saving that coupe body...only to make it a seldom used, seldom seen, trailered to the track race car.
    It would make more sense (to me anyway) to use a glass body and build (or let someone else) a REAL hot rod out of that steel body.

Just my opinion.

WiredSpider likes this.
  20. fgnailhead34

fgnailhead34

That's funny! Lot's of good memories. Something tells me that you will leave your mark on this project as well! Look forward it.

Stogy likes this.
  21. fgnailhead34

fgnailhead34

Back at it over the weekend. Got the A pillars leaned back and tacked into place. B pillars are tacked. Now to the rear quarter windows and then back window. Had some awesome help from some of my estranged car club friends. Helpful to have some serious talent involved :) Estranged Chop Day.jpg Estranged Chop Day 5.jpg Estranged Chop Day 7.jpg Estranged Chop Day 2.jpg Rear sail panel 1.jpg Rear sail panel .jpg Rear Quarter window work.jpg

Attached Files:

Marcia, The 39 guy, Blues4U and 4 others like this.
  22. fgnailhead34

fgnailhead34

Rolled the car outside to get a quick side profile look. Starting to look like something. side profile with chop tacked 1.jpg side profile with chop tacked 2.jpg side profile with chop tacked.jpg

brEad, The 39 guy, Blues4U and 10 others like this.
  23. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great save! Perfect use of a steel warrior.

Stogy likes this.
  24. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

25. fgnailhead34

fgnailhead34

Little more work from last night and today. Back of the car is coming together nicely. Really looking forward to fixing the doors. Back Window tacked.jpg Back Window tacked 1.jpg Rear panel tacked .jpg Rear panel tacked 1.jpg

brEad, The 39 guy, Blues4U and 10 others like this.
  26. fgnailhead34

fgnailhead34

Had a little time to work on the back panel replacement today. Been a little nervous about getting the curvature right on this one. Got a little education on the english wheel and borrowed a shrinker/stretcher and some dolleys from @Marty Strode and was able to conquer my fear. Now onto the other side and then to tackle the front rain gutter piece.
    Sail panel replacement 2.jpg Sail panel replacement 1.jpg Sail panel replacement.jpg

brEad, The 39 guy, Blues4U and 7 others like this.
  27. Love it. Takes me back about 6-7 years ago. 34gibbs.jpg You guys are gonna screw around and make a nice car out of that thing.

28. fgnailhead34

fgnailhead34

Back of the car all tacked together. Time to move on to the front of the car. Excited to see the A pillars and door openings come to life.
    Sail panel replacement 3.jpg Sail panel replacement 4.jpg

brEad, brando1956, The 39 guy and 4 others like this.
  29. fgnailhead34

fgnailhead34

That's awesome. Lots of work but the feeling you must get driving the car after all that work has to be rewarding.

Stogy likes this.
  30. fgnailhead34

fgnailhead34

A little more progress late last night. With the A pillars leaned back, the rain gutter/driprail had to be reworked including the front eyebrow of the top where a relief cut was made. I was stuck on the best way to do the gutter/driprail for a couple days and ended up at @Marty Strode to get some guidance. Took him a measly 30 minutes to form up a couple pieces and sent me on my way. Now I know how Rain gutter replacement 3.10.21.jpg Rain gutter replacement(1) 3.10.21.jpg Above winshield patch 3.10.21.jpg Above winshield patch(1) 3.10.21.jpg Rain gutter replacement(3) 3.10.21.jpg to do it again :)