Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Coolant recovery bottles in the 50s?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Feb 9, 2021.

1. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exhaust tubing. overflow.jpg

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  2. atch

atch

3. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Usually remembered when the car is lined up for scrutineering. Send the helper to the concession stands for a bottle of Coke, and zip-tie it to the inner fender. Remove before driving home. Don't ask me how I know :oops:

Cheers,
    Harv

brianf31 and olscrounger like this.
  4. Sort of true-ish. It's to help keep the air (air-pocket, air-bubbles, etc.) out of the cooling system. When the higher pressure radiator caps and the rest were introduced, the additional pressure raised the boiling point. The old-style 4psi systems raised the boiling point a few degrees but the newer 15psi systems raised the boiling point a lot higher. When coolant boils, steam is created, which produces the "suds", which pukes out some of the coolant, which allows for more "suds", which creates more steam, and "suds" don't draw off as much heat from the water jacket surface. Nor will it dump heat as well on the radiator's surface either, because bubbles are not coolant, and so on and so on with the downward cycle.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  5. sunbeam

sunbeam

There are catch cans and recovery systems the big difference is how far the hose goes down in the bottle.

6. There were no recovery tanks in the 50's (if there were, they were damned rare!). Recovery tanks came about much later as an effort to help reduce soil pollution and keep ground licking kids (and, more importantly, dogs and cats) from getting sick and dying from poisonous coolant additives. Just get something you can stand to look at, or paint it and hide it behind the grill. The 'cutsey' shit of a Mountain Dew can or the breakage hazard of a glass jar or whiskey bottle don't cut it IMHO.

lurker mick and ottoman like this.
  7. fleetside66

fleetside66

Not sure why Ovaltine disappeared...wasn't bad. How about my old 1940's Ralmac Smoothie maker.

IMG_7105.jpg

Ziggster, loudbang, wackdaddy and 3 others like this.
  8. Truckedup

Truckedup

9. I am trying to remember if I ever saw a '50s car that came factory with an overflow bottle. I am not sure that I do.

I have been known to use a 1 gallon gas can, or an old thermos.

On a side note I have a buddy in the Ozarks that was a heavy drinker. he filled his window washer tank with whiskey, and ran the tubing under his dash. When he wanted a drink he would stick his coffee cup under the tube and hit the washer button. :D

vtx1800 likes this.
  10. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Still around fellas.....but I don't expect this post to be for very long.;)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  11. Nacifan

Nacifan

Here's 1 on an epic 32 that belongs to a friend of mine. I mounted a WWII Canteen turned upside down with the cap facing down so you can drain when needed.. We ended up painting it Black. 12-03-2006   1.JPG 05-20-2007  17.JPG

12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I never needed one on this car but since the replacement radiator did not have the tube going to the bottom of the radiator I have to do something.

13. No such thing in the 50's, only thing was windshield washer bottles started around 1954. We just let it blow out on the street.

lurker mick, clem and firstinsteele like this.
  14. grdra1

grdra1

I initially used an old fire extinguisher but never warmed to it so I made another one from a piece of roll cage tube, machined up two ends, one with a drain plug the other the size of overflow hose. Glen 149.JPG 156.JPG 330.JPG

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back when we stuck an old canteen or a beer can on the car as a "catch can" to get past tech at the drags I had an Olympia can on my Buick. I raced it once at Puyallup in 1966 and got my butt handed to me by someone with a car that was running right on the class national record.

I've got a polished aluminum or stainless? recovery unit out in the garage for my 48 that might end up getting painted disappearing black. Or mount it on the front side of the core support where it will disappear.

Those Metal water bottles can be just about as cheap as it gets though.

16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just finished this recovery system. Hose goes in the bottom and the screw cap has vent holes. The aluminum water bottles were a gift from the AAA and the 2nd one is sitting on the power steering pump. Might attach a different top on the chrome threaded top or paint it black.. DCFEE036-6BEC-4B0D-B720-3FDE04EE10D1.jpeg

17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is on my PU (upper corner), it is an aluminum recovery tank that I bought for my roadster but went a different route do to space. The radiator line is connected to the bottom and it has an overflow tube to the ground. Clean design, it is tapped for two bolts in the back that hold it to the inner fender.
    upload_2021-2-16_14-49-14.png
    My roadster ended up with this one from OTBGear, also a recovery tank and plumbed the same way.
    upload_2021-2-16_14-52-32.png

Joe Blow likes this.
  18. 48ford

48ford

19. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER