Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***February 2021 Banger Meet Thread - 6 More Weeks Shop Time!***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Yup! As I said in my original post: "....better wear a Flack Jacket!" BTW, just yesterday I think a piece of the V671's gears "came adrift"! I don't believe it's done much if any damage (yet) to the blower or engine. We'll see (it's only time & money)!

Jet96 likes this.
  2. brjnelson

brjnelson

3. brjnelson

brjnelson

I thought the V8 spring was wound the opposite direction. I could be wrong though.
    I’ve broken many a starter Bendix.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

winduptoy likes this.
  4. s.e.charles

s.e.charles

Q: was there ever a banger powered belly tanker?

winduptoy likes this.
  5. OlCrow.jpg

winduptoy, burl, Dustyp489 and 2 others like this.
  6. I welded a tag onto a broken end of an A bendix spring , drilled a hole through the tag and bolted it to the starter terminal, with the other end I put a bolt through the rolled hole and attached the battery lead. With 12 volts it works as a resistor and only hits the starter with around 8 volts which is a lot kinder to the starter.
    Not my idea, but one I was happy to copy.

Jet96, Kiwi 4d and Old Dawg like this.
  7. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

You will get good service fromm your setup, by using what is called a’ modern barrel’ bendix. That is built specifically to handle this situation.

Kiwi 4d and brjnelson like this.
  8. upload_2021-2-16_8-20-13.jpeg

Don't forget Rufi's belly tanker- and it's early Chevy 4-powered :D

winduptoy, Old Dawg and grumpy gaby 2 like this.
  9. railcarmover

railcarmover

64-26190.jpg
    These are better, they have a rubber cushion at the end of the stroke it doesn't hammer like the old bendix. As usual, keep an eye out for quality when buying one.

Jet96, Kiwi 4d and brjnelson like this.
  10. railcarmover

railcarmover

brjnelson likes this.
  11. I thought of yours, John; but didn't have a photo handy! What're the Classes an speeds?

12. After bending a lot of Starter Motor shafts; and breaking Bendix Gears! I went to a Mini-Hi Geared Starter! They're not that expensive!

Retson the Racer and brjnelson like this.
  13. John,
    I have only run V4GL, Vintage 4 Gas Lakester class, Bobby, has run many different configurations.
    The ForEverFour tank has run different configurations also, NA OHV, Blown OHV fuel etc.

Steve Nelson holds the record I believe at B'ville, 201 and change V4FL, impressive car and crew.

My best timing tag is 174.5 mph at Bonneville, that was burning the valves out of the motor at the end of 3 miles.
    Exit speed was 179.5
    Not bad for a Diamond "B" block................J

Jet96, Old Dawg, Dustyp489 and 2 others like this.
  14. Here is another one, Willy's 4 banger with a DuVall OHV head Tank with Duvall Willys.jpg

Jet96, Old Dawg, burl and 3 others like this.
  15. WOW! Very quick those "Bangers" ! "Huevos de Brasso"!

Jet96 and s.e.charles like this.
  16. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice , but quality can be subjective. How can you tell quality from an online Pic ? But thanks for the heads up. Any preferences to vendor ?? View attachment 4977822 Thanks @railcarmover and @hardtimesainit

[/QUOTE] These are better, they have a rubber cushion at the end of the stroke it doesn't hammer like the old bendix. As usual, keep an eye out for quality when buying one.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  17. railcarmover

railcarmover

These are better, they have a rubber cushion at the end of the stroke it doesn't hammer like the old bendix. As usual, keep an eye out for quality when buying one.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I've never encountered a bad one, though I know other who claim they have. You generally pay for what you get, or as my friend used to say "you may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get" When he first told me that I had a glazed donut look on my face for awhile till it sunk in..These guys got all kinds of goodies for us,have a look..

http://antique-tractor-parts.steinertractor.com/tractor/Starter-Drive-Bendix

winduptoy likes this.
  18. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah , steiners , cool . Went there in 2019 on our way to TROG from down under. Needed parts for our family tractor from 1936 that cultivated all our family farms in way back then.

19. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

i did also

20. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So are model A and Model B starters interchangeable?

21. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Me too !
    Great torque and good loss of size/weight.... and CHEAP ..comparatively ! Been using for years now. Just got a new one for a special 8-port project.
    The barrel item can be had at any good parts place. I bought one when they first came on the scene. Never had a problem in many years. There are a couple A/B shaft sizes. Not sure of anything anymore...but fits larger shaft (5/8”)... maybe not,eh. lol

22. Liberty Garage

Liberty Garage

Yes John 201.804. I think sometimes we are a little off center to put so much effort into these bangers but I don't know any better and they are quite a challenge. We spent 6 years breaking parts before we broke 200. We are currently running a modern 4 cylinder F class engine (183ci) See ya on the salt and good luck
    steve nelson priorpic5.jpg

Old Dawg, burl, winduptoy and 2 others like this.
  23. patina steve

patina steve

Old Dawg, burl, brjnelson and 4 others like this.
  24. I think As are 2 bolt and Bs are 3. I think, I’ll check it out for you when home.

25. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

A's are a 3 bolt starter .........

26. Santa Margarita Time Trials are scheduled for 26 June 2021! X Class has been discussed; but concern for safety (to much speed) caused postponement of decision at this time! Save the date and keep your fingers crossed! FASTSM-7 (2017_06_30 15_13_08 UTC).jpg FASTSM-8 (2017_06_30 15_13_08 UTC).jpg FASTSM-9 (2017_06_30 15_13_08 UTC).jpg FASTSM-10 (2017_06_30 15_13_08 UTC).jpg

Jet96, Dustyp489, Stovebolt and 2 others like this.
  27. Steve,
    Yes, my wife thinks I have a Mistress out in the shop, well, sort of.
    It is a hell of an achievement to break 200, congratulations to You and the Crew. I hope Dan is doing well, sending him another order next week.
    Best of luck with the modern motor, John

Old Dawg likes this.
  28. Steve,
    Congratulations to you also, a record at B'ville is an achievement.
    See you on the salt, J

winduptoy and Old Dawg like this.
  29. patina steve

patina steve

Thanks John.........I think I have the same mistress as Steve Nelsaon........Looks like you spend a lot of time with the shop mistress to...........

winduptoy likes this.