Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1954 Chevy Bel Air electrical question ( heater)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 54FISH, Feb 12, 2021.

1. 54FISH

54FISH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hello , Maybe a stupid question here but , I restored the 54' Belair ( Airflow Deluxe ) heater , used a 12 v motor. Now I'm replacing the fan blower switch in the heater control panel . Wires are missing to and from switch . Have Ron Francis Express kit installed , so the question is : Is there a need for an inline fuse ? If so , should it be installed between switch & blower motor or before switch ( would think fuse would be for that )? Or is an inline fuse even needed ? PART 2 : will the stock switch handle the 12-14v ? I see there's a spring ( which is the resistor I believe) ? Believe Motor should draw up to 20 amps I think , gauge wire 12-14 awg good ? Ahhhhh Well , listen , Hope your all staying safe & thanks for even looking !! Thanks Brothers!!

2. squirrel

squirrel

The resistance in the switch might not be correct for the 12v motor you installed. You can try it and see what happens...it might glow red, or it might not slow down the motor enough.

The fuse is there to protect the wiring. The fuse should therefore be sized to the smallest wire in the circuit from the fuse panel to the motor. #14 wire and a 15 amp fuse is typical for older heaters. You only need one fuse, at the panel.

firstinsteele likes this.
  3. 54FISH

54FISH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I called up Ron Francis wiring & explained to them , I was using their express fuse panel with the original style heater switch ( bought new from Chev of 40s but matched old original switch) ,along with a new 12v motor . The guy said quote " if you are using our fuse panel with the original switch & 12v motor , an inline fuse is Not needed . Their system provides the fuse for the heater circuit . I still thought for extra protection , an inline 20amp wouldn't hurt .thoughts ?!!?

4. kevinrevin

kevinrevin
    from East Texas

As I understand it, adding an inline fuse to a circuit that already has a fuse is not an issue. It jut makes you have to check two locations to see if a fuse is blown. Whichever fuse is smaller will blow first.

VANDENPLAS and Bob Lowry like this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

you can add it, but it won't be providing any extra protection. It's really just another possible failure point.

jaracer likes this.
  6. Your wasting your time and money with fusing a fused circuit. Concentrate on the resistor. If you want to change to a tri five heater fan switch resistor

7. 54FISH

54FISH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks , have to agree probly wasting time & $ on inline , I'll check the tri five switch , but probly just run with the new switch from Chev of 40s . I'll keep the old switch & put it with the 6v motor/squirrel cage . Maybe someone can use them later. Thanks