Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1941-1946 Chevy truck dropped axle

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Okie46chevy, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Okie46chevy

Okie46chevy
    from Edmond

Love to see some pics of 41-46 Chevy/Gmc truck with dropped axle. Looking for wheel/tire setup and overall stance. Also if power steering was added with a dropped axle.
    Getting ready to start mine soon so looking for input.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    Kevin Zollars likes this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

do a thread search here, and general online search

3. You might check www.droppedaxles.com too. Pretty sure Sid has a few pics in the photo gallery of those trucks.

Okie46chevy likes this.
  4. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

1946.jpg
    5 inch dropped axle by sid reversed eyes front and back 3 inch lowering blocks 15 inch tires front and back
    Stock steering box rebuilt.

5. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Its about as low as i care to go and still drive it.Had the lower panel under the grill off several times to straighten after hitting stuff
    DSC00151 gearhead.JPG

6. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

^^^ Do either of you guys have your tires rub on turns?

Okie46chevy likes this.
  7. Okie46chevy

Okie46chevy
    from Edmond

Good stance! Steering hard in the parking lot with factory box and drop? Are you below the scrub line since the drop?

8. Okie46chevy

Okie46chevy
    from Edmond

Did a search but most show mustang 2 front ends. Hard to find drop axles on these trucks for some reason.

9. Pretty sure you can’t really go more than a 3” dropped axle if you are running 15” wheels to not get below scrub line on your truck. That is assuming both tires go flat and you are skidding on the axle. I think the 46 axle is same as the AD’s as far as geometry of drop vs. kingpin location. I would call Sid at 405-416-3080 to verify that. My kids AD has a 3” dropped axle and Posies springs and will be pretty low too but shouldn’t have a scrub line problem like some I have done with 4” dropped axles and 15” wheels.

10. Okie46chevy

Okie46chevy
    from Edmond

Do you have some pictures of your kids truck?

11. I don’t have any that would do you any good. It still doesn’t have any front end sheetmetal on it. It will likely sit similar to one I used to have though with a 4” dropped axle and a few leaves removed. This one is the one I documented the install that is on www.droppedaxles.com and should pretty much apply to yours as well. As mentioned, not the same body style, but same axle and install.

12. Okie46chevy

Okie46chevy
    from Edmond

13. The wheels were 15x5-1/2" and the tires were 670 15's. If you are looking for any wheels like that, I am pretty sure I have a set that I don't have a use for right now. They are off of a 58 Chevy pu.

14. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

no

15. Love the looks of your pickup! Stance is right on!

16. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

steering is tougher but its an old truck. Scrub is really close tire would have to go completely flat and probably off the rim to cause a problem. I don't think he drops them that much any more. I have some friends that are running mustang ii and are not to impressed.im sure it maters what one is used and how its installed

guthriesmith likes this.
  17. Okie46chevy

Okie46chevy
    from Edmond

Have you heard of anyone running power steering kit on a dropped axle? Saw some 47 and up kits but nothing for 41-46. Using a 350 so I could add steering.

18. Okie46chevy

Okie46chevy
    from Edmond

Thanks. Might reach out when I get closer.

19. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

well you would have to figure out what steering box to use and modify from there. I have not seen any kind of bolt in type kit to do this.

20. I haven't had much issue without power steering on most old pickups with a solid axle as long as you don't try to run too wide of tires on the front and don't put any more caster in the axle than needed to make it drive straight. With no more rubber on the ground than something like a 670 15, it is pretty easy to steer. I do struggle some with my 66 C10 (independent front) with no power steering and wider (215 width radials), but the previous owner also put a quicker ratio manual steering box on it which is what I believe my main issue is.

21. Okie46chevy

Okie46chevy
    from Edmond

What size tires do you have front and rear?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. Joseph Meuse

Joseph Meuse

Dan, I saw a picture of a 66? Chevy truck with a green color. Looks awesome. I have a one I am restoring now. What color exactly is that - I want to paint mine the same. Thanks.

23. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Joe, Are you asking about my avatar truck? That's my '55 in its old shop truck look. It's just rattle can Rustoleum Satin Sage Green. The truck looked like hell when I bought it. Not even a somewhat consistent "patina" like some guys claim rusted-to-shit looks. I wanted it to look better but instead of typical gray or red oxide primer I chose Duplicolor green primer. It was lousy but I liked the color. The closest thing to that color was the Rustoleum and itworked great. Lasted long and if it got a chip or whatever I just re-did it. I got a lot of compliments on that color and in hindsight I should have left it like that instead of the high dollar paint job I did to it. Oh well.

24. Joseph Meuse

Joseph Meuse

Dan, thanks for the response. Hopefully I attached the right photo - and hopefully it's your truck!

Attached Files:

25. Joseph Meuse

Joseph Meuse

I think you posted that photo. If it is not your truck, do you know where you got that photo from? Any help would be great. Thanks Dan.

26. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

No, that's not my truck. It's a picture I found on the Internet a long time ago and saved because I liked the color and stance. Sorry.

27. Okie46chevy

Okie46chevy
    from Edmond

Guthriesmith- Old post but didn’t know if you still had the wheels.

28. Yes, I should be able to make a set of wheels easy enough. I gave you my phone number in a conversation. Looks like you are just a few miles south of me. Give me a call sometime.

29. Little Terry

Little Terry

Old thread, yes but i hadn't seen it the first tim around. Maybe this info will help the OP?
    IMG_7904.JPG CPP 4" drop tube with de-arched springs. The axle was designed for the later series truck, but i made it work by modifying the steering arms and pitman. Running 16" wheels with 6.50 tyres on the front end. Couldnt go any lower without scrubbing the tyre on the fender.
    2.png 4.png 3.png

30. Okie46chevy

Okie46chevy
    from Edmond

Curious of you looked into drop leaf springs before you decided to de-arch the original springs? How much do you think the de-arching helped you?