Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Source for Unique Safety Belt?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by earlymopar, Feb 15, 2021.

1. earlymopar

earlymopar

Anyone know where this style of belt can be purchased (sort of a combo racing belt with a street car buckle and appearance)? A friend informed me of "Seat Belt Planet" but when I checked there, I was not able to find anything quite like this. Some of these have upper straps that are meant to wrap around a roll bar (I don't want that). Bolt-in at each of the 4 strap ends is preferred.

Front Seat Belt Harness pic.jpg

2. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Looks home made.

porknbeaner and Sporty45 like this.
  3. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

They can be had but unless your seat back is welded in place so it can not tilt forward, that style belt is NOT really safe. They are primarily made like that for cars with a cage. They also come in 3 inch wide with racing hardware.

warhorseracing likes this.
  4. 38bill

38bill
    from Minnesota

5. earlymopar

earlymopar

No. They were purchased from Seat Belt Planet but they no longer have them.

6. earlymopar

earlymopar

7. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Ignoring the upper attachment point, it looks like something from a 1970s sedan. Lap belt with an optional / detachable shoulder belt. Just double the shoulder part.

But looking at it, it doesn’t look like it would be any better than a lap belt. Maybe worse. The upper attachment needs a solid mount, above shoulder level. The lower attachment looks like it slides on the lower belt, so it’s not offering any restraint.

If you just want it for looks, that’s cool.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. I thought you weren't supposed to have two shoulder belts mounted low without the submarine belt, otherwise you will just slide under the lap belt. With a single shoulder your body rotates and prevents you from submarining.

If you have a harness bar you can do it safely because you will be held back, instead of the shoulder belts pulling the lap belt up into your stomach.

9. 5window

5window

Try Andover Restraints> good belts, but I don't know if they have your style.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  10. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I looked into those.
    These are designed for a racecar with a shoulder level cross bar. Mounted to the floor, those belts can hyper extend the spine.
    You are really better off with just lab belts in my opinion...

11. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

you can purchase those from CROW enterprises
    listed as 2x2 ATV harness with automotive buckle[​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going to say that that photo shows the exact reason they don't make or sell them anymore. Misused by posers who had no clue as to how to install them safely. That is a classic "do not install them like this" photo.
    If you get in a front end impact in that rig the seat back will break when your body weight pulls forward on it. Plus as F-1 said it is going to screw up your spine in the process.

F-ONE, Just Gary and stanlow69 like this.
  13. 5window

5window

But, otherwise?? :)

14. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

we got a set for Chicks roadster off Craigs List from a tuner provider, about $50 for the double set