Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I want a California Kid driver

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobwop, Jan 2, 2017.

1. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You know it.......:)

lothiandon1940 and bobwop like this.
  2. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let's also throw in a picture of the modified rear pan.

20210123_201740.jpg

I think it is safe to say my son approves. 20210123_194932.jpg

4. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Looking good Vern. Josh looks like I did at that age!

5. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Thx Vern,
    Those shots are exactly what I was looking for.
    JPM beefed that body up a bit with steel. I had a “Paul’s Fiberglass Products” chopped model 40 body in the 80-90’s.
    It had all of the definition-lines,stock latches, window regulators, wood &, the most metal I have ever seen in a glass body. I have never seen another in 34 plus years. Kool thing about glass is that it never really ages real bad, sure they get cracks, but that’s a much easier fix than welding in patch panels.
    Can’t wait to see your continued progress to completion. GREAT JOB GUYS!!!!!
    P.S. Thx 4 Perpetuating Our continued Hot Rod Life by placing that lil hot rodder in the drivers seat.
    CK

Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
  6. 19MICKM33

19MICKM33

Your CK is coming along nicely. I know exactly what you're going thru as I set out to build the absolutely most perfect clone of the Kid. I started with a steel body that had originally be chopped at P&J's replicating the slant back front of the original. Jason Slover was monumental in my build and I'm quite sure I drove him crazy more than one time asking and re-asking for dimensions.
    The biggest hurdle was I ordered a Rock Valley Hood with smooth sides and tops. I would never try to pass my car off as the real thing and since I had done a great deal of engineering on the Nottingham 33 grill shell, I opted to go that direction. I did add 34 handles in the hood sides though. Now the hard, nervous, difficult, nail biting chore of punching all those louvers. First that was to get a drawing from Jason of the actual louver which is a 4" domed top hotrod louver. I designed and machined the die and spent a week of nights with my buddy carefully punching them.
    Personally I would never want to do that again!!!!
    I also left the interior in the car I had as at this point, I was quickly running out of money.
    I did get it finished, it went to the SEMA show in Vegas, was on a couple TV shows and in couple magazines.
    I loved that car "but" I never felt like it was totally mine. Pete's design ques were spot on and that is what has let this car endure all these years.
    I'd say, build what you want, to the extent of detail that makes you happy but let it be yours.
    Mine in now is a private collection in Detroit and the buyer and I stay in touch as we both love that car.
    Here are a couple shots of mine.
    Cheers
    Mick NSRA NATS LOUISVILLE.jpg AT SEMA.jpg ENGINE BAY.jpg

7. 19MICKM33

19MICKM33

Oh, I sold that car about 5 years ago and have just bought another 1933 3w. It will get chopped the same as the original and it will be black....but the similarities will end there. I don't want to loose my identity in this one.
    Cheers!
    Mick

8. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

9. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very nice! Great comments and a superb car! Very well done.

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Sherriff is still behind the billboard...be careful out there...I suspect he may be getting a little confused...:p

I'm pretty sure I've shared that Coupe thinking it was the real deal...I think it met the cut...:D

11. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IF it ever quits snowing and IF it ever warms up, I will be back on the "Kid"

Bob and I have been talking to some paint shops and working out those details. This "driver" is going to be pretty nice if I do say so myself. Of course, I may be a little biased. o_O

12. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Got to agree that yours is a great build. Was yours also in the So-Cal display @ the GNRS several years ago? If so I was blown away upon seeing it as even though I grew up seeing “Pete’s Coupe” built I had to look yours over as it was quite close but different it’s by 4 things that I immediately picked up on. The grille, doors, interior area & license plate mounting, but everything else dead on to its 90’s configuration.
    I’m intrigued by your statement re: it having a “feeling” about not being yours.....
    Ya see ever since I came upon Pete’s build in 72 as it went from what he purchased that New Years Day and what he was building. Pete had no problem sharing this dream of his with an inquisitive lil 8yr. old.
    So that car changed much over the next year to the point that it just was “Neato” as kids used to say.
    Well even though I have a deep appreciation for many different styles of Rods & Customs, this particular build with its Halibrand front wheels, American Standards in the rear just punched my ticket. When the movie was filmed then aired I again was blown away. It’s left a lasting impression on me. I recall just how much I liked 33-34 Ford’s and had a conversation with P-Wood. His take on Hot Rods was that “Ford stopped making them after they eliminated the headlight bar”.
    IMHO, this subject matter defined what a Hot Rod is and had been explained to me by none other than the original builder. I got a kick out of that.
    So I suggested very early on in this thread that Pete be contacted for the build, Pete’s untimely passing definitely prevented any such notion. I was sad about that. Here we are 4 years after this thread was started and Bob & Verno are making great progress.

I stated then that I’d like to see a movie version of the CK built, basically by all the guys that built it with Pete. So I’ve roped in PC4 and @Weedburner40 = Dale Caulfield the original painter, @ BigM Manuel Reyes,
    Eric Vaughn for the Blair’s Speed Shop louvers the Frame has Pete & Jake’s Brackets and assorted other parts the front suspension has a Pete Eastwood set of Hairpins (pre-PC3g)-not mounted yet and I’m torn over the rear end whether to use the other guys QC rear end or a 57-59 Ford 9”. The body needs a ton of work, a wood kit, a rear window frame and a bunch of other parts. 1C036D99-17B4-41E6-89EA-6354AAC3B815.jpeg A9B4325A-AE1B-460C-A912-89A75348F31C.jpeg 3A09206D-3F0B-44E2-B8B7-17F946E1C24D.jpeg 533B51E7-2A43-406C-9F09-3CD3D7E81171.jpeg The hood in the pix is just for effect,
    Of course I had to include PC3’s New Years Day 1972 Acquisition for effect.
    This is all still a dream of mine, but a reality for you Bob & Verno. Looking forward to seeing the continued progress on your CK project.
    Thanx for your Kool post Mick, love that build!!!!!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  13. A Boner

A Boner

14. A Boner

A Boner

15. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Since I haven’t seen an update, I figured I’d bring this BTT.
    This reason being=it’s been 50yrs since that very day a 29 yr. old Pete Chapouris III, bartered for a very kool 34 3W (as seen above).
    That had been a racer, he thought salt flats, I say drag race refuge;).
    We all know what happened to the coupe during its famous build as if it didn’t happen just the way it did, this thread/post wouldn’t ever exist.
    Personally for me, this purchase set a whole set of wheels in motion that has effectively touched every one of us in one way or another or else one wouldn’t even be reading this.
    Being a kid when I came across this 34, being awestruck and definitely impressionable changed a direction in my life.
    As this title stated, “I too want a California Kid Driver”!!!
    Perhaps @ Bobwop we’ll see his dream come true before my own.
    Happy New Year 1972-2022. AD881281-E3C2-446A-9278-75DDABF481E4.jpeg

akoutlaw, Outback, swade41 and 13 others like this.
  16. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Happy New Year Kevin. Slow, but sure. No rush. I am very content with whatever pace Vern wants to proceed. I am just pleased that my friend is building the Kid for me.

Outback, Stogy, Just Gary and 8 others like this.
  17. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Great to hear!!!!! Any progress pix? Your build keeps me fired up. Wishing you the best in the coming year.;).

Stogy, bobwop, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  18. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sadly, minimal. I've been doing a good job of keeping it our of the rain but very little progress forward.

19. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

There is no rush.

All in good time

20. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Hey There Guys,
    Any progress on the build?
    I’m just checking in.
    Hope all is well with everyone.,

Outback, Stogy and bobwop like this.
  21. A Boner

A Boner

Bob, did you make the move? What city was it again?

Outback and Stogy like this.
  22. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I moved to Arley, Alabama

23. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

How’s the build going? I read on either FB or IG that a customer of P&J’’s are building (my dream movie version) of the “California Kid” ……. They’re in Omaha, AR. I know I don’t know them, but they must’ve read this post as they using the original guys for the Louvers.
    (It’s mentioned above in what I’d build and with who as the original builders). Don’t know it this one is going to be steel???? But they’re having two sets of Hoods louvered.
    I’m glad that someone is doing it as it’s not the right time for me to do that. ;).. IMG_9022.jpeg IMG_9023.jpeg IMG_9024.jpeg
    These are sample Louvers of how it was done.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2023
  24. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Verno30 is back on it. I have to defer to him regarding the louvers

25. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Post some pix when one of you guys get a min?
    Thx,
    CK

bobwop and Stogy like this.
  26. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

This car is as nice as God could build one , but the distributor is on the wrong end of the cam for a correct clone

Kelly Burns and Outback like this.
  27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All I am going to say is that I like the California Kid clones a hell of a lot better than those goofy piss yellow Grafitti clones.

28. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Always loved that car

29. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Bob, this explains why I haven't been seeing you at the Jefferson swap meet. I hope that the move is working out well for you.

bobwop likes this.