Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Magical tools

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pats55, Feb 15, 2021.

1. jerry rigged

jerry rigged

Tools and new parts also. A while back I went to finally replace the fuel pump on my '59 GMC. I knew I had a new one in a green box; looked all over hell and creation; couldn't find it. Finally gave up, went to town and bought another one. Getting out the tools to do the job and stumbled over the fuel pump. It was in a white box!:mad:

2. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

It's an illness, I tell you! I can relate to all of the above stories. I have tools that were given to me when I was around 5 years old to keep me out of the carpenter/plumber/electrician's way when the kitchen was being redone (1961), tools that were my grandfathers' (one was a carpenter, the other was a jack of all trades), tools that my father had (he was a surgeon so not a lot there), tools thatmy brother probably doesn't remember having, but will now, tools I used as an industrial mechanic, tools I amassed over the years to wrench on cars, other tools, machinery, etc., and stuff that I just can't let go to the scrap yards.

I have no idea what tools I have misplaced, because Iseem to have multiples of everything, even machinery.

It really is a sickness!

catdad49 likes this.
  3. I’m anal about my tools and know exactly where everything is. Nothing strange shows up and nothing disappears. T-shirts on the other hand seem to breed in the drawer. Probably have a dozen from races or events I never went to or speed shops from somewhere I’ve never been

catdad49 likes this.
  4. AZbent

AZbent

Just like others, I have lost some tools. I think most of the lost tools are a result of my kids. But, I do have my share of O P T’s (other people’s tools).

Sandgroper likes this.
  5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

X3.....

Dino 64 likes this.
  6. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

I often borrow tools from my dad and he forgets I have them. Now he has a sign out sheet so he can keep track of what I’ve borrowed.
    I told my mom if she needs an idea for a birthday gift for me she should just get me something on the list of things I’ve had to borrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

MYSTERY TOOLS : I try to clean out once a year and have a sale . If you stop by and find anything with your mark on it , you can have it 1/2 of marked price .

8. Rich S.

Rich S.

Budget36 and partsdawg like this.
  9. big bird

big bird

I've got tools that disappear when needed, only to reappear when the job is done.

osage orange and Wanderlust like this.
  10. When I think about it, I don't know where my crescent wrenches came from. I'm pretty sure I found most of them in cars and boats I've acquired over the years. I don't buy them, and I don't use them. I have proper wrenches and sockets for nearly every size nut or bolt I may encounter, including Whitworth...

11. Budget36

Budget36

Next to your metric adjustables and screw drivers?

12. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Magical Tools? What the hell's wrong with you guys? 41 posts and not a single "In my pants":p

13. gene-koning

gene-koning

And that can happen 5 minutes after I put it down someplace.

I was using a Phillips screw driver today, every time I put it down, I had to look all over to find it again. I probably spent more time looking for it then I did actually using it today.

I'm blaming the cold weather and the snow for ruining my brain this winter. Gene

Pats55 likes this.
  14. fordor41

fordor41

I looked for ever for a small vise-grip pliers. about 2 yrs later I discovered them clamped to the inner fender, behind the wheel, of my '41 Ford

15. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

8 way wrench.jpg
    I've had a wrench like this for years. I don't know when or where I got it. I've never used it, that I remember. I know my Dad had one when I was a kid and I used it a lot on my bike, but the one I have is not his. Must have come in an auction box at some time but I don't remember.

Gary

16. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Gene you need to bring at least three screwdrivers when you do a job. No matter where you turn you should see a screwdriver. Another aspect of the situation the multiplication of magic tools. YouTube says you need three wrenches to change the front brake pads. You take out your three wrenches and by the time you change the front brake pads you have 17 wrenches 2 hammers and a pipe wrench on the floor near the front wheel. And don't forget the acetylene tanks.

17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've bought a few new tools over the years as I had the money or need, but most of my stuff has been bought in small toolboxes or given to me. I've got name brand stuff dating back to at least the 50's, maybe older, but may only have one piece that brand of a set. I've got certain tools I use, while others lay in the box for years between uses. I came up on a wrench in my box recently I don't remember buying, or even seeing before. No idea where it came from and when, probably was in with some others I bought at one time or other. And I've had my share of stuff taking wings and legs and leaving. Some I lost, some the kids lost, some I think sticky fingers got.