Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 5” magnum axle help in 32 ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deucedreamer, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

I purchased a new 5” I beam axle from magnum and a mono leaf spring. The spring shackles and perches are also new. The spring measures 29” eye to eye, which is the correct width for the axle. I bolted the spring in the car as I figured it would be easier to get done without the axle attached. I attached one side of the axle to the spring with the shackle and for the life of me, I can’t get the other side together. Nothing I try works and I’ve tried everything.

What the hell am I doing wrong? Appreciate any suggestions.

2. Are you using a spring spreader?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

No...I didn’t think you could even buy those anymore?

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

What does the Magnum 5" axle measure between the hanger bores? Measure that distance, then deduct the 3" (1.5" per side, re:posie)
    Reversed eye spring? If not, a simple 'spring spreader' can be made from a 3/4" length of Allthread, a short telescoping piece of 3/4" galvanized pipe, and a couple of washers and nuts.
    Grind one end of the Allthread off at a 30 degree angle, to fit behind the inside of the eye of the spring.
    Now flatten the end of the pipe, to fit behind the opposite spring eye. Washer and nut to expand the length of the Allthread by tightening the nut against the pipe, spreading the spring.
    IF YOUR MEASUREMENTS WERE CORRECT FOR THE DISTANCE OF THE HANGERS VS. THE EYE DISTANCE.

5. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Install the mainleaf,shackles and perch bolts.
    Then assemble the spring.
    Has always worked for me

porknbeaner and 31Apickup like this.
  6. clem

clem

For reversed eye spring: (probably works for normal eye spring but I haven’t used those).
    If the motor is in the chassis, and axle is held in place by wishbones, I place 1 inch x 1 inch box section or similar size under the spring eye (between spring eye and axle) and use the weight of the motor in the chassis to spread the spring.
    Lower it gently and keep your fingers out of the way..

if your motor is not in the car you can just weight it up with anything handy, bags of concrete, drums of water.......

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  7. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

I’m using a mono leaf reversed eye spring. I’m not sure how to spread the spring considering it has reversed eyes.

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I hope that Magnum axle is a forged steel axle.

The ductile iron ones they sell aren’t safe.

Fortunateson likes this.
  9. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

It is forged steel.

Blue One likes this.
  10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

if this is out of the car you can sandwich the spring between 2 pieces of square tubing and use clamps to flatten it out, this should make it long enough to assemble the shackles

11. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

Ya I’ll likelh have to take the spring outta the car and assemble on the bench

12. Are you sure? I'm unaware of any forged Magnum axles other than the ends on the tube axles.

RICH B likes this.
  13. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

Hmmm...now you’ve got me thinking. What’s wrong with the ductile iron?

14. RockyMtnWay

RockyMtnWay

In or out, both ways doable.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
    mcsfabrication, Deucedreamer and rod1 like this.
  15. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I always attach the shackle on one side and put piece of wood between the axle and spring on the other side . Floor jack under the axle ,jack the axle up and the spring will slide on the wood and move out to the correct length to attach the other shackle .

16. I have a 4" dropped Magnum axle in my '40 pickup and it has been in there for over 20years. If I remember right there was a few Magnum axles that actually broke while in service which scared the hell out of all of us Magnum axle owners. If I remember correctly it was a certain run of axles and those produced before and after are ok. Correct me if I am wrong as Deuce Dreamer and myself have a vested interest in the outcome.

acme30 and Moriarity like this.
  17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  18. badshifter

badshifter

Unless you are building a wrought iron gate, everything.

Blue One likes this.
  19. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I believe you are correct however, forged is the best and Henry's forged is the best of the best. Damage to the rep of Magnum probably will never be completely restored. (Though this is not a restorers forum. LOL)

20. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Following the failure of that Magnum axle didn't they change to forged with each axle having an identifying serial number??

Chris

Sent from my SM-T515 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. clem

clem

pretty much what I described in my post, but it seems that op is going to pull it out of the car as @Moriarity suggested.
    If he had posted photos of what he was dealing with to begin with, it may have helped.
    Hope he gets it sorted.

Moriarity likes this.
  22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah, I guess I assumed it was all apart.... either way will work..

I have a magnum axle in my 40 for over 10 years now. I think it may have been a specific run of axles that had the breaking problem

23. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

I just called magnum and asked about the axle. It is ductile iron. He told me the axles breaking were specific to 2008 and were as a result of the foundry overheating them during the manufacturing process. Since that run of axles, they haven’t had any break. Is forged steel the best? Ya of course it is. Ductile iron is a close second. I’m not too concerned.

Today I’m going to remove the axle and spring from the car. I measured the spring yesterday and it seems to be 29”, but it’s harder to accurately measure in the car. It needs to be 29.5” according to magnum. If that’s the case, it’ll never go together and I’ll call the store who sold it to me.

Moriarity likes this.
  24. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

Spring is out and 1/2” too narrow. Have to return it I guess.

Blue One likes this.
  25. clem

clem

So for what it’s worth,
    my spring was 1/2 inch too long so I made shorter shackles.
    You could do the maths and possibly make longer ones. 1/4 inch each side (horizontally).
    Of course, you would have to ensure that it won’t bottom out.

26. Set everything up loose, the perch bolts, the shackles. Set the spring in place and get everything started to bolt up then tighten everything up. Use the power of the bolts and nuts to pull everything into place, then hang it.

27. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

Ya I’ll likely do that as soon as I get the correct spring

28. They had a bad run a few years back. The problem was not so much that they had a bad run, back then they did not number anything (damned poor manufacturing practice) so there was no way of knowing if you were in the bad batch or not.

I have not heard anything bad about them since that time.

acme30 and Moriarity like this.
  29. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

I finally got the new spring and the shackles slide in nice and easy. Amazing what can happen with the correct parts!

clem, X38 and Roadsir like this.