Register now to get rid of these ads!

Frozen Stiff

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Power is out again. It’s 48 in my house now. Looks like water well is frozen stiff as well.

shit like this is why this is about to happen:

2223AD8A-1688-4112-B8B5-3BC0DFCB05EC.jpeg

Deuces, Chris Casny, AHotRod and 8 others like this.
  2. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Only in the 30’s in the PNW but got a foot of snow. IMG_1447.JPG
    Kids were sledding down the road, so I dug out a roll of plastic and joined in.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

warbird1, Hamtown Al, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  3. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

High today in Omaha is supposed to be -3... and -22 for a low tonight!
    It's been quite a while since we've had a severe cold snap like this. The 18" of snow on the ground is going to be around for a while!

sololobo, Deuces, tractorguy and 4 others like this.
  4. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Let's see... Valentines Day and cold weather... sounds like there will be a bunch of babies in 9 months.:rolleyes:

5. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Yes, it hit -20 for the first time last night.

As for the last week or two, I think you should check your generator, I think you are reading your ammeter not you thermometer.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I do feel for you southern guys that aren't use to this, especially when the local infrastructure starts breaking down. In the Northern Red River Valley, we call days like this "Monday". Hasn't been above 0 since the 5th, and probably won't be again for another few days. Otherwise known as normal winter weather.

Grand Forks, ND in 1966.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hamtown Al, Roadsir, Deuces and 9 others like this.
  7. Squablow

Squablow

I hope you guys who aren't used to this cold weather are checking the antifreeze solution in all of your cars, especially if they're stored in uninsulated/unheated garages. It doesn't take long in freezing temps to crack your water jackets or make your radiators explode.

My '57 had straight water in it all summer to try to flush out the old engine, and I almost stored it that way, would have destroyed the engine.

A few years back, my dad had his '65 GTO in his heated, attached garage, but in the stall furthest from the main part of the house, and the weak coolant froze and pushed out a freshly-installed frost plug. He was very lucky not to have damaged his block, usually the block cracks before the plug comes out.

Deuces, hotrodjack33, wfo guy and 4 others like this.
  8. mnjeff

mnjeff

Yawn.....Contemplating putting on a long sleeve t-shirt, but probably won’t...

9. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yeah, maybe I should have said close to 20 below or something. I know that on my way to coffee with the gang sat morning my car said it was 22 below , and yesterday morning I went to visit my parents and my car said it it was 24 below.....

10. Belle53

Belle53

yes , i believe it is them

Deuces likes this.
  11. 6inarow

6inarow

Cold enough to freeze the nuts off a plow around here.

12. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I work at a coal fired power plant here in Texas and we haven't been maxed out yet. Probably running 70% capacity. The grids been all over the place fluctuating constantly so cold weather is good for me. All the wind turbines 1/2 mile from my house are frozen solid. Stay warm fellas!

gggholson, Hamtown Al, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  13. I'm about an hour south of Ryan. We have snow on top of ice so driving is a big gamble now because everybody is a newb. I haven't had any power outages but cell phone service is checkered and random. My son left his work last evening, headed for home, and only got 150 feet when another car slid across into his lane and hit right in the middle of his grill, hood, bumper like it had eyes.
    I've been back in Texas for 30 years and I've only ever seen the occasional dusting of snow in that time. At this moment I have an actual snowdrift blocking my driveway and my only shovel is a 5" wide trenching spade. Up north, 'drifts' like this are no big deal but here they're monsters. The city has no snow removal equipment. Maybe somewhere there's a front loader or Bobcat pecking away at a couple of parking spots. :confused:

DSCN1953.JPG

14. 2935ford

2935ford

Well, a bit balmy here for the Eastern Great White, -4c! :)
    But and here, there's always a but.......we are expecting freezing rain overnite thru Tuesday into Wednesday! :(

Enjoy the snow folks!

15. Hey that was uncalled for! I just wanted to look at your cars! All that "get off my lawn" and "I'm calling the cops" stuff wasn't very inviting :D

Sitting at the breakfast table my wife said Texas has more snow than we do... that's some crazy shit man. If i could afford it, I'd move somewhere warm in a heartbeat :( my electric bill has been $500 the past 2 months.

Texas57, Deuces, hotrodjack33 and 7 others like this.
  16. in Minnesota, valentines weekend, actually was -28 below, with a wonderfully brisk windchill

Deuces likes this.
  17. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Don't houses in the South have insulation and windows made to keep the cold IN during the summer? Wouldn't they also keep the cold OUT in the winter? Of course, if there's no power then after a while it wouldn't matter.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  18. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

-9 with wind chill of -31 on drive to work this morning. Snow on the ground and still snowing.

19. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I think the water pipes to houses are typically buried fairly shallow, compared to the colder climates. Extended freezing temps and snow on the ground could cause in-ground pipes to freeze?

20. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Not nearly as much insulation in the south. It is a simple matter of thermodynamics and economics. It takes a alot more energy to heat a house up 100 degs from an outside temp of -30 (as it was this morning) to 70 deg than it does to cool it down 30 deg from 100 deg out side temp. Plus, they don't bury key infrastructure like water pipes below the frost line like we do in the northern tier. The south's gas mains are also generally smaller and can't flow enough gas to support heating requirements in these temps. Extra insulation, burying pipes deeply and larger gas mains and pumps all cost more money.

Other things your wouldn't think of are the oil and grease used in the gearboxes of wind turbines is much different in North Dakota than it is in Texas. So wind turbines that would spin away during a North Dakota winter shut down in Texas when the temps approach North Dakota values.

21. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Wow, hang in there fellas! I can imagine what the gas & electric bills will look like. A furnace must run damn near continuous to keep the inside of the home 'room temp'.
    If you're running a generator for power, please be mindful of carbon monoxide protocols.
    I got tired of losing power here everytime the CA electric grid gets overtaxed in the summer and they start with "rolling involuntary blackouts" or they shut down when the winds perc up in fire season.
    I bought a new generator to power the house. Its a 'dual fuel' that runs on gas or propane. Roll it out of the shed, hook up a propane bottle and plug in the house. No more dealing with gas cans and stale gas gumming up the carb.

22. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

IMG_2299.JPG

This was last night. They don’t look that long from the pic but they are well over 4’ long now. No power all morning (just came back on). Lots of snow and ice. Feel bad for those without heat and frozen pipes...that sucks. Regards, Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

23. Just another day in paradise.:rolleyes: IMG_7428.JPG

24. I spent a couple hours clearing snow Wednesday in preparation for minor surgery Thursday. It has snowed everyday all day since! We barely got out of the driveway this morning to go to the Dr’s office. So now i have one functioning arm and over a foot of snow in the driveway! ( pic for sympathy:D) 0DA6193B-0299-4FDB-A17D-6B05826ABD1F.jpeg

25. So you’re saying you need a umm, hand?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Hovering around -30 with the wind in Kansas City and they just announced rolling black outs to keep the grid going. Time to bundle up!

sololobo, Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wind chill doesn't matter if you stay out of it. Picture from the Plymouth, WI newspaper is of a water tower we built in Elkhart Lake, WI back in January 1975. That's me in several layers of clothes, full welding leathers and a pair of surplus Mickey Mouse boots. Temperature was below 0 F. the whole time we were there. January 14, temp was -6 F. with a wind chill of -36. Scan_20210215.jpg

28. egads

egads

Wintertime in the Ozark's: minus 2 degree's, Gotta love it !! thumbnail.jpg 1.jpg

Nostrebor and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The good news is in four months it'll be 95 with 100% humidity and we can all bitch about the heat!

30. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Rolling blackouts starting here in Nebraska now, too. And I see they lowered tonight's forecast actual temp to -27.

sololobo, Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.