Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Roll-on eastwood primer

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by birdman1, Feb 14, 2021.

1. birdman1

birdman1

Has anyone used the roll on primer that eastwood sells? I would think it would build up faster

Attached Files:

2. Do a search, good stuff for small areas

3. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Yeah it sure would, but.....

4. Honestly used a very fine/smooth roller from hardware store to apply the epoxy primer to my roof and hood. Turned out ok
    Obviously both were prepped as best as possible before.
    Stripped off crappy paint and original ‘64 paint. DA with 80 grit and hit any rust spots with OSPHO
    Applied 2 coats, using light pressure on roller. Dried fairly flat
    Eastwood product looks like it flows better than Stuff a guy gave me. Should have thinned it a bit
    Was a 2:1 mix

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Is that the stuff that Eastwood ripped off from @Pats55

Pats55 likes this.
  6. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Good question...

Pats55 likes this.
  7. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Good morning Jake is using a two-part epoxy along with Ospho. Not a bad job. Their Platinum rust encapsulator is similar to Mastercoat silver primer/ sealer/ surfacer. They said it was the best rust sealer they ever saw in 30 years . Of course they get more money for it, but hey, I'm retired, I did my part.

Blues4U likes this.
  8. millersgarage

millersgarage

almost any modern expoxy primer is roll=able. You do not need to use Eastwood specifically.
    I have rolled my entire 33 with it. Once blocking out starts, i will spray it for a smoother finish. It sure keeps the shop cleaner.

Frankie47, Blues4U and Randall like this.
  9. Still boggles my mind why people HAVE to use eastwood products, When they can go to a local paint store support local economy and get a better product at a better price...

Also ANY 2/3 part primer can be rolled, I preferer to spray though......

10. birdman1

birdman1

I know any paint can be rolled, i asked it anyone had actually done it. Heck, a few years ago Hot Rod magazine painted a car by rolling on the paint! everything works, but I wanted to know how well it worked. and again, thanks for the help. (Got both covid shots at VA) Yaaaaaa

11. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

I heard a catchy phrase about that on the radio this morning.

EASTWOOD be a "take snake" in the above situation.
    I guess so would I for snitchin' the phrase.

Sarcasm and insults are highly traditional, aren't they?

12. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

I read a post on another form about the Eastwood roll on primer. I think he may be on the HAMB as well.
    He used the primer on his V8 Vair and it was a disaster. I believe he had to strip the car and start over with a different paint system.
    Maybe he will chime in. His V8 Vair is sweet and with new paint will be kick ass.

13. I just read his thread. He used an epoxy in temperatures below 60 degrees. No epoxy is going to work properly in those conditions. He also refused to heat his garage, due to costs, to see if the product would properly cure. He did say it didn't specify that on the instructions and if that is the case that's not good of Eastwood to provide incomplete instructions. As with most product failures it sound like it was user error but if the user error is the result of a company not providing the right information that is on them. Especially one that focuses on home users who may not know basic product information.

14. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Shur line brand rollers work excellent . I've been using them for years with urethane primer.. First rule of the paint business , can't raise the price add more thinner .Second rule, change a formulation or application procedure, you lost something along the way. For instance a thicker coating will have a tendency to lay on the top of the substrate and not penetrate as deeply as a reduced coating. Every time I changed a formulation trying to make things better I lost something on the other end.

15. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Some of the application instructions leave a lot to be desired.

K13 likes this.