Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Coolvairs Lets See Them

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dons t, Jun 19, 2007.

1. I recently watched a couple videos talking about Nader’s claims. Seems he was more trying to sell books than anything and the Corvair mostly just happened to be the target he chose to attack to make a case. From my own short experience driving the thing, it is way more stable to drive than say my Fairlane...or C10, or several other old cars I have owned over the years. It handles pretty good as best I can tell and the videos pretty much proved many of his claims were false and/or at minimum exaggerated.

2. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

Nader is still alive and is still spreading lies.

3. "Nader didn't tell anyone, but his son was strung-out on Coke when he crashed and died"

Interesting ... any facts/proof/documentation to back up that claim?

Edit: Disregard my question ... I just did a quick search and apparently Nader never married or had kids.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  4. CAVEMAN_1960

CAVEMAN_1960
    from Michigan

If you guys want to play the Nader card in this thread, I suggest that you watch a YouTube video that was produced by Hagerty Insurance - Larry Webster in particular. He borrowed a couple of my Corvairs and rented a runway at the local airport here in Detroit. Larry wanted to see what old Ralphie was talking about. The title of the vid is: "Will the Corvair Kill You?". One of the cars he drove (sometimes in anger!) was a 1962 Monza sedan that I bought from Ralph Nader's Museum up in Winsted, CT. I don't want to be a spoiler, but Larry lived and his wife and kids are grateful for that. Neither of my early model Corvairs went out of control and flipped over all by themselves with no prior warning. I've watched Larry drive newer cars at speed and I wasn't worried at all. Final comment; None of my Corvairs have grass stains on the roof!

5. Yep, that video is one I watched last week. He drove your car pretty hard and no rollover. :D

j3harleys and loudbang like this.
  6. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

I watched that video awhile back and thought it was great. You could tell that Larry was having some fun.
    On a side note, that 60 you have is one special car. It's going to be great when finished. VAIRY COOL

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  7. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

I inspect a Corvair just as I would any of the era. The big differance is the powerpack.
    Over the years many Corvairs have been "fixed up". Unfortunately many of the motors are now frankenmotors. Parts used from many different years and HP levels.
    You will want to know witch engine/trans combo the car has and research the serial #s for the block, heads, carbs, dist and vac advance or press retard if it a turbo motor. These parts perform best when installed in there intended engine.
    For a prospective buyer these serial # are available on Clark's Corvair website.
    I would look for a car with the 164 displacement. HP ratings at this displacement were 95, 110, 140, turbo 150, 180. I prefer a 4sp. Although I have had 2 PG cars. The 4sp just allows you to keep the motor in its sweet spot.
    Last but not least, you want to check the oil cooler, what type is it. There were 4 different oil coolers installed at the factory. 4 row folded fin, 3, 8, 12 fin. The 12 plate and the folded fin are the best at shedding heat. The cooler should be checked that the fins/plates are clean and free of debris.
    All the tins should be installed with seals. The damper doors should be closed when the engine is cool. If a door is open when the engine is cool the thermostat bellows on that side has failed.
    With what has already been mentioned that about covers it.

8. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Very useful information from you fellows and it's truly appreciated. I've rarely seen,
    let alone been in, any Corvairs over the last forty years or so but, for some unknown
    reason have become interested in them again. Thanks.

Phoenix24, bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  9. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

Here's a cool Vair. My dads 64 Goldwood yellow Spyder convertible with Hollywood wheels. 20190601_192124.jpg

10. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I just wanted a closer look.

ZzZzZzZz20190601_192124.jpg

11. Ice man

Ice man

I was a small time HVAC guy in the Burg, (COLD WINTERS) and I did mostly service calls. I had 2 Corvans, loved them, one was a3 sp, and the last one was a 4 sp. Lost's of NO heat calls, at all hrs of the day or night. Those vans were always ready to go, many times going where 4x4s dreaded going. I remember the fuel line froze. I unrolled some 3/8 copper tubing, stuck one end in the gas tank, duct taped the tubing down the side of the van, and hooked up the other end to the fuel pump through the engine door. Drove home in style. They were my choice of work vans for yrs. Even kept a spare engine/trans in the shop and could change it out in Twenty min, with my sons help, and ready to go. Love the Vairs ,Iceman

12. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

Gene Winfield's Corvair powered "Reactor":
    [​IMG]

13. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

That grill and single head light treatment is bothering me.Looks like a Mustang. I friggin hate Mustangs.

14. madmike8

madmike8
    from Tennessee

I like Vairs... Hopefully there's one in my future...

corvair1.jpg

15. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

16. Speedblur101

Speedblur101

I had several. A 65 monza with a Corsa dash and 140/4 speed was my favorite. There are a million things that you can do to a Corvair and a lot of them really are improvements. Ran a center mounted Holley 4bbl some. Also 2 Holly Webbers. Moved the Battery into the trunk to help weight balance. Had quick steering arms and front disk brakes. The only time I ever had fanbelt trouble was when the alternator bearings went bad. You also need to use good belts. Most people who had belt trouble were over tightening them to start with out of paranoia. Using viton pushrod tube seals instead of the cheap ones that come in the factory gasket sets is a must! Had a lot of fun with mine.

17. Weird, never saw that one...

loudbang likes this.
  18. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

Moose did this rendering of my Monza. Daddy needs some chrome. 1.jpg

19. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

loudbang and anthony myrick like this.
  20. Possibly photoshopped
    Looks cool regardless

loudbang likes this.
  21. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

I was wondering the same thing.

anthony myrick and loudbang like this.
  22. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

Okay guys,
    I've changed my mind on the Photoshop thing. The blue car is legit. It has the proper 4 lug wheels and is probably bagged.
    The red car, witch looks great is more likely photoshopped. First the 5 lug wheels. The spindles could have been modded. If you look at the front tires you will se if that car it a bump with the wheel turned that fender would be fouled and a tire toasted.
    All that said they both have the look.

anthony myrick and loudbang like this.
  23. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Bagged early models have "the look". I really dig 'em.

Guthrie1068 and anthony myrick like this.
  24. Speaking of cool early models...I really like this one. I am not sure what to think about the skirts, but like everything else. I know nothing about it other than found the pic while researching other stuff I was trying to learn about my 63...

cor.jpg

25. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

26. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

The skirts are a definite no-go. My opinion. Then again, so are the spotlights.