Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ceramic wax spray coatings. Any good? Your results?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lothiandon1940, Jan 16, 2021.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Well I drank the Kool-Aide last month when this thread came up. Yup, took a couple of battery cores down to O'Reilly's and traded for a bottle of the Turtle wax ceramic. When I asked the boys there if it was the hot poop they all nodded enthusiastically in unison.

I had mentioned it to my buddy Mark, whose mother gave him her 3-4 year old BMW some number. This has been a boon to me also because I get to give him shit for not only being a BMW snob but for driving Moma's car, which I do on a regular basis. Anyway she had the hi zoot ceramic job done by the dealer. Mark doesn't like it, he claims bird shit and what not sticks to it. Doesn't make sense to me but that's what he thinks.

Took me awhile to get the urge for that much manual labor but last week I finally tried it on my 20+ year old original paint pickup. Washed it first and ran over it with the buffer and some Finesse It I had sitting around to knock anything else off. Then just wiped it on, wiped it off. Man, what a shine! Can't speak for longevity but it sure is shiny right now. Gonna do my Bantam next, then maybe walk around the neighborhood.

20210214_071048.jpg

2. Von Brush

Von Brush
    from Corfu, NY

I've used a couple of ceramic sprays and have found l get the best shine with a product called Nextgen. You don't have to use much and is easy to apply. Youll find it advertised on you tube.

Sent from my 9024W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Deuces

Deuces

Maybe I should do my red Ford with this stuff....:cool:

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. loudbang likes this.
  5. I’m currently using Meguiars ceramic wax. You just spray it on while the vehicle is wet (after rinsing the soap) , rinse, then dry and done. Leaves a great shine and lasts a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. Muffy Bennett

Muffy Bennett
    from Arizona

Mother’s is my first choice; Adam’s Polishes version is my runner up. Worth it, in my opinion. I’ve done all my cars/motorcycles in one or the other.

7. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

I couldn’t find any of the ceramic sprays with a lemon scent so I’ll stick with Pledge.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

belair, Budget36 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. Appreciate all of the input, everyone. I still haven't tried any of the products yet, but I am narrowing down my choices.....Thanks...Don.

9. Missed this one some how.
    A friend of mine is a pro detailer. Gets paid a bunch to detail and apply a ceramic coating. His is a pro level product not a chain store product. The pics he post look great.
    As far as painting over the pro stuff, body shops have had some issues. Wax and grease remover isn’t enough. But if you properly prep a panel, there shouldn’t be any issues. A scuff pad with a sanding paste is recommended anyway in the collision industry. This process sands inside a paints texture and can remove the coating from the orange peal(texture) of the paint. No peal? Then sanding as normal should take care of it.
    It’s usually a blend area where shops are having issues. Blamed on the ceramic but the cause is lazy prep work.

10. dmar836

dmar836

I always see the vast improvement on a vehicle that needs paint care and wax. I never see a car just washed, clayed, buffed, and quality paste waxed - THEN get a ceramic wax applied and have a "WOW, what a difference!" finish.
    It seams that many new fads replicate, in name, legitimate high-end processes. Ceramic coating isn't cheap and isn't a spray on - wipe off process. Look at all the spray paint cans that say "Epoxy" but are not two part at all. Other processes escape me but you all know what I mean. Nanotechnology, marketing-type stuff.
    I'm not saying this stuff isn't good but if all else is done to a car and only the waxes are changed, is there a noticeable difference? If it is that good, twice the price of spray wax certainly isn't enough.
    May be awesome but sounds like longevity is the main benefit. Lots of people won't use certain things like WD-40 or silicone spray as it tends to stay around and resurface after you think it's all gone. You find it in fish eyes. Longevity, intended or not, can be a curse.

alanp561 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I heard you had to sand the ceramic coating off before a repaint so thanks for the education Anthony.

Now the really big concern with these types of products is that everyone one of them will not enhance and could possibly destroy the ever important patina. So be warned!

anthony myrick likes this.
  12. I recently got an OT new Mustang, my girl friend got a 2019 Buick. She picked up a ceramic detail product called Torque. The directions say to use a decontaminate soap first... so I need to pick that up 1st.

13. v8flat44

v8flat44

I use Turtle spray wax, not ceramic. I like it. Spray on after wash/rince & wipe off as you towel off to dry.
    Lasts a while, but i dust my car more than i wash it. .02 cents or nonsense .......

14. I wonder if they mean to use something like dish washing liquid?
    Some car wash soaps contain wax, this would be counteractive to the process.

15. I went to Auto Zone, nothing. . dish soap may work. More research...

Just looked around, found a product called Clean Slate, about $9 for a 16 ounce bottle. Comes in a gallon too. Part numbers are CWS803 for the gallon, CWS80316 for the smaller one. Also read that dishwash soaps will remove car wax.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  16. Yep. The removal of wax is one reason we use it.

reagen and bobss396 like this.
  17. We did my girl friend's Buick yesterday, she had just washed it earlier in the day. She came over by me, it was nice and cool. It took us under an hour to do the whole car with the Torque brand she picked up.

I'm going to do my older Malibu later if the weather holds up. I'll wash it with dish soap first. That one I've been using a Turtle Wax Wash & Wax product on for years.

18. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Thanks for reupping it, I searched after your post on my thread but couldn't find it. Lots of useful info, thanks.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. Decontaminating is the removal of all the stuff that regular car wash soap doesn't remove. In the detail business it can include a few different products like fallout remover, waterspot removers, wax and tar removers and no it is not dish soap. They are usually less of a soap and more of a solvent based product and used with clay to remove all the contaminates and old products on your car. You may not find them at your regular auto parts store unless the specific company makes a retail product. They are more something you have to get from an automotive detail supplier. Not removing all that stuff prior to using ceramics generally shortens their longevity.

20. indyjps

indyjps

Screenshot_20210614-103749_Chrome.jpg

I thought this was the whiz bang new age wax, at least thats what the TV commercials said.

I stick with 3M polishing and buffing products and good carnuba wax.

I guess if I had a stable of finished cars and was paying someone to detail them for me, a longer lasting wax might be interesting, but it sounds like a standard services upsell to me.

21. Thanks all . Some great information here.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  22. Kad60

Kad60
    from Australia

IMG_20211128_173749.jpg I used meguiars ceramic liquid wax and it definitely added a nice shine to my merc paint. Easier to clean and great water beading aswell.

23. ^^^^Your Mercury is beautiful!^^^

24. v8flat44

v8flat44

She's real fine, that Mercury 49....oh how nice if it were all mine.

lothiandon1940 and Kad60 like this.
  25. Kad60

Kad60
    from Australia

Thankyou

26. Kad60

Kad60
    from Australia

Thankyou!

27. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Simonize is traditional

lothiandon1940 and razoo lew like this.
  28. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

- x2

29. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

- x2 (like many auto products, on Sale now)