Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Top Gas AA/GD

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Gary Reynolds, Jul 29, 2015.

1. OaklandHobbyShop

OaklandHobbyShop
    from Oakland

22A89368-B768-4897-9FBE-66F4B94592B5.jpeg 0B8D11E7-4E67-4A40-A124-F678D706EFBE.jpeg
    Just saw this motor last week tucked away in the corner of a shop. It’s the hand-built cammer out of the Jim Gonsalves slingshot. It’s a thing of beauty.

2. raven

raven

I was friends with Don Cain (Pusch & Cain) when he had his hot rod shop in his basement. He’s was just finishing up his Deuce 3 window with a Hilborn injected small block. After he got it on the road, he was telling me about a late night run he did when I was over at his house. Seems as though he had a friend in the highway patrol and they got together to clock Don to see what the coupe would do on top end. Patrolman at on end of a long straight stretch of I-435, around midnight, and Don at the other.
    He hung the laundry out and his buddy clocked him at 152. Great run but his patrolman buddy didn’t realize that when you clock an offender on that particular system, it sent a copy of the information and a picture to HQ.
    The troop commander called him into his office a couple of days later asking him who he clocked at 152 and why he didn’t write him a ticket.
    He got into some trouble over that.
    Don just smiled.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. I have also laid eyes on this work of art and the man that built it! Blessed to know such a brilliant mind.

Attached Files:

• Jim.jpg
      Jim.jpg
      File size:
      132.5 KB
      Views:
    chryslerfan55 and Calkins like this.
  4. Was at KCIR one day with the Vander Woude's testing the new version of the Flying Dutchman AA/FC (I was the clutch monkey) when Don Cain pulled up in his '32 coupe - a full-hood covered the idled-like-a-fueler engine. He came over and told us the story of the late-night I-435 run. Hilarious.
    21j_zpsxxd0o1qu.jpg

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  5. Frakes & Funk from the Sept. '70 issue of Car Craft
    FrakesAndFunk_CC0970.jpg

6. And how about R.C. Williams at Colorado...
    rcwiliams_dragster_at_colorado.jpg

7. Jim Butcher's twin SBC's...
    [​IMG]

8. First time I see clear valve covers, at least on a FED.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Billy Lynch's wagon, 1969...
    lynch foster wagon.jpg

Dean Lowe likes this.