Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What Happened to Hilborn?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31hotrodguy, Feb 2, 2021.

1. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I went to look something up on Hilborn’s website and I can’t find it! Did they close up? It has only need a few months since I last looked them up. What’s up?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. saltracer219

saltracer219

They were bought out by Holley and were moved out of California to Kentucky I believe.

chryslerfan55 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

call Kinsler or Enderle

hendrcs and 31hotrodguy like this.
  4. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

5. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

So Holley killed it! Sad. Now just t shirts and efi

scotty t, Ned Ludd and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

sdluck, Roothawg, bchctybob and 2 others like this.
  7. They are in the process of getting the inventory squared away. They can't give prices yet because they don't have things cataloged. All the vendors mentioned all get their parts from hilborn. So unless its in their stock we have to wait. I have not heard anything about discontinuing mechanical injection.

8. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Racer x, that is good to hear. I have to say it is funny how the business side of things (which I know nothing of) complicates things. I would have thought they could have just kept Hilborn the way it was but like I said I don’t know anything other than I’m tired of mergers and take overs etc.

UNSHINED 2 and bchctybob like this.
  9. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Merging with a wooden box and being taken over by dirt is a concern to me.....lol.

10. Deuces

Deuces

11. At least I still have my official Willys gasser scoop!!
    Scoop.jpg

12. catdad49

catdad49

Check out the Alky Diggers site, They are in Nashville, Tn.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  13. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I wanna find the OG Hilborn streamliner...

Jimmy B, 31hotrodguy and Deuces like this.
  14. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-2-3_5-33-27.png

Hello,

Ever since Hilborn Fuel Injection moved from that cool building high above Crown Valley Parkway, that goes from the ocean to inland Mission Viejo, it was a change that was necessary for growth. But, the new industrial building several miles to the West had some design character, but it just was not the same. In a heavily populated industrial tract like plenty of other industrial tracts made it seem a little bland.

Back when they were in Laguna Niguel, (South Laguna in postal name only) anyone that was coming off of the I-5 freeway on Crown Valley Parkway heading for the ocean, that giant wall of bricks at Cabot Road was impressive. It was all the more impressive when those of us that had some history in drag racing and knew that Hilborn Injection Company (Fuel Injection Engineering) was just on the above parking area and plateau. (Currently, there is a huge multi-story apartment complex on that site rising from the ashes of the old tall brick wall and the old Fuel Injection Engineering Company.)

It was one of the only hot rod/drag racing companies with a view to the ocean, far away in Dana Point, down the busy I-5 freeway.

Jnaki

Sad news indeed… it definitely was a “Speed Equipment Manufacturer that began in California…”

Fuel injection nozzle and system
    upload_2021-2-3_5-41-53.png
    Description

United States Patent Hilborn [is] 3,656,464 [4 1 Apr. 18, 1972 [54] FUEL INJECTION NOZZLE AND SYSTEM [72] Inventor: Stuart G. Hilborn, Laguna Niguel, Calif. [73] Assigneez' Fuel Injection Engineering Company,

South Laguna, Calif.

15. This is correct....I saw them packing. They're in Bowling Green and they don't do rebuilding services anymore (just new stuff).

GlassThamesDoug and 31hotrodguy like this.
  16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Even their old building in California was fuel injected
    upload_2021-2-3_11-57-42.png

mario711, fauj, Taboo56Chevy and 9 others like this.
  17. They were by Clark Foam on top of a tall hill......even the hill is gone now.

jnaki and 31hotrodguy like this.
  18. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope someone picks up the vintage fuel injector service which included flowing nozzles, barrel valve testing, and even installing new O/S throttle plates. Thus is huge for the vintage and well used units. Their must be a pile of vintage components for these systems.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  19. crider

crider

Guess Hilborn will be getting built in China now too

31hotrodguy likes this.
  20. Deuces

Deuces

21. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Clark Foam was an institution at that location. It was out in the middle of a bunch of cows roaming around on the hillsides from the ocean to the freeway. There were none to little in the housing tracts nearby. From the early 60s, the building was by itself near the railroad tracks. (later called Amtrak, from SD to LA) It wasn't until the 70s-80s thing with the development.

Clark Foam was one of the early pioneers in the foam industry for surfboards. My brother and I drove from Long Beach down PCH through Laguna Beach and made a beeline inland for 5 miles to the factory in those hills. They had several styles of blanks for shaping new surfboards and we wanted to try our hand at doing just that. (Make our own surfboards.) The public was allowed to buy individual blanks. But, the main business were the numerous surf shops that sold finished surfboards. Clark abruptly shuttered his empire in 2005.

The other major player in the foam blank business was Harold Walker Foam Company who was the first in So Cal with his new surfboard foam company. Then, later, Hobie and Gordon Clark then opened their own business and the rest is history. But, in 2007 the Walker Foam closed its doors, marking the end of another chapter in the saga of maverick surf pioneers who helped build surfing into what it is today.

Jnaki

The new technology comes from a variety of businesses all over the world. But, it still is a lightweight foam blank that is as light as 5-6 lbs, in its finished state. Our 1961-62 finished state was approximately 40 lbs. Obviously, the foam was thicker, the fiberglass layering was double rail thickness for strength and there were the knee paddling extra pads built in each surfboards. The old style versus the new technology... it does make a difference, but the changeover rate of damaged, new surfboards is tremendous. Our old longboards lasted 2 to 3 years with little damages all around.
    upload_2021-2-14_18-26-3.png Instead of this arrangement, the little/shorter modern surfboards will easily fit inside of the roomy cave in the back. So, our beach cruises and wave searching would look like the later model 40 Ford Sedan Delivery with the rear window in place.
    upload_2021-2-14_18-28-7.png

Hilborn is gone, now and so are the fleeting memories of visiting that shop whenever we drove by the busy roadway. So, are the two 1940 Ford Sedan Deliveries.

i.rant, chopped, Hnstray and 4 others like this.
  22. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Sorry you waited too long to be born. Lippy

GlassThamesDoug and 31hotrodguy like this.
  23. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Having worked for a corporation....I can see the scrap order being placed throwing boxes of components away. I remember being the last test Engineer in Diesel Mechanical Injection... Manager said I would never see this stuff again 2000. 20yrs later...I was still T/S systems for technicians in India, Russia, Mid East, China and Indonesia. < New Machines. ;-)

warbird1 and Algoma56 like this.
  24. Kinsler in Michigan can rebuild any injector set up. They can flow jets and nozzles etc. Good guys that have been in business a long time.

25. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

not enough volume to do it overseas. I dont understand the sell value to Holly unless Hilborns EFI had some kind of patented control system

kidcampbell71 and wfo guy like this.
  26. adam401

adam401

I just called Hilborn but actually spoke to Holley. I wanted to buy a mechanical flathead set up. Not available, not going to be available. The only thing in production since the acquisition is big block chevy mechanical setup. They told me to call Alky Digger who were very very nice and helpful but do not offer what Im looking for. Looks like Hilborn as it once was is done

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    31hotrodguy likes this.
  27. There are many shops who flow and rebuild. The original manifolds are what will be unavailable.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  28. mopacltd

mopacltd

Gene Adams is still doing Hilborn stuff

31hotrodguy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  29. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have 2 sets on the shelf. I will probably just send mine to Alkydigger.

Big mike 1968 and 31hotrodguy like this.