Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Joe's American Graffiti Coupe with a Man A Fre (Milner Coupe Clone)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nicholas Coe, Feb 22, 2020.

1. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Prevent flat spots , = no weight on tires , tires off ground

2. So many people seem to like putting their cars on jack stands over the winter. Maybe something to consider. I have always thought it was bad for the suspension.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  3. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I'm not sure how sitting on stands could damage the suspension ?

Nicholas Coe and loudbang like this.
  4. I don't know. That was what I read on the interwebs. Maybe seen it in a video? That's the problem of no experience. Everything seems valid.

So y'all would recommend against airing up the tires moderately and changing the cars position daily?

I only roll it forward or backwards a couple feet. Bad idea?

chryslerfan55, loudbang and rbrewer like this.
  5. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nick, if you're worried about flat spots on the tire's, the weight of the car has to come off the ground. If you were to support the car by the axle's, It doesn't matter if the weight of the car is on the tire's or being supported by jack stand's, the suspension is still carrying the same weight, the only thing that will change is the height of the car. As far as rolling the car back and forth every now and again, in my eye's, all your doing is putting a flat spot in a different part of the tire. Hope this shed's a different light on it for you. ;)

6. Nick. I would not worry to much about flat spots, if the tires are in good condition and aired up, and you roll the car around ounce in a while. Its not like the car will be sitting in the garage for a year. If I do not have the wheels off my coupe I just roll it around here and there. The car is only dormant for 5 months or so. Never had a problem. No need to over think it.

7. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I'm guessing that all tires " flat spot" a bit . bias plys would , radials ,not so much . I believe that the materials & construction of some tires is more susceptible to flat spotting than others . I've had 8 ply truck tires that would flat spot over night . I'm sure others have had different experiences...

8. I'm now thinking about the jackstands.
    I thought it might work. It doesn't get too cold for long here in Arkansas.
    Thanks for the great advice. I do over think everything. That's kinda my thing.

9. No jack stands for me. I need the piece of mind I can get the cars out of a building quickly in case of a fire or emergency
    Sent from my SM-F900U1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

They're only flat on the bottom.

11. KenC

KenC

Off the floor is best, but, remember flat spots on bias tires are temporary anyway. I remember the 'good old days', getting into my ride on cold mornings and bouncing down the road to work for 4-5 miles. The always smoothed out, the warmer the weather, the faster the smooth.

Back when Dad had the salvage, we would take tires off cars that had set for ages, None of them had permanent flat spots.

Of course on a car as light as yours bounce will be pronounced and last longer than the sedans and trucks drove.

12. That is my thinking as well!
    Sure....
    Ok. I've never owned a vehicle with bias ply tires before. Good advice. Thank you.

13. High test 63

High test 63

I have a little t roadster hot rod that sits over winter every year for many years. Have had both bias ply and radials on it.
    Any "flat spots" are no big deal. They smooth out after a few miles, and are nothing more than a mild vibration at worst.
    Don't fuss about it. Roll the thing around if you want. Then get in it in spring and run the hell out of it.

14. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Chance of you having a house fire - 0.033%

57belairpro and Nicholas Coe like this.
  15. I double checked my tire pressures today. All seem to be 25 - 27 PSI. All good so far. When it warms up I'll fine tune my ride with most likely lower pressures. Thanks!

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. Back to the Man A Fre.
    I'm getting ready to order carb kits for the 2G's.
    Do I order for large base 2G's, or small base 2G's?

Thanks,

17. It depends on which exact bases you are using. Please post pictures. Make sure each carb has the exact same base. There were several versions made. Here's mine. Here's my correct gaskets.

Message me if you are confused.

Tim or I will sort you out! PXL_20201006_155214296.jpeg PXL_20201006_155116618.jpeg IMG_20200919_212451.jpeg

rbrewer and loudbang like this.
  18. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

small block chev Man a fre uses small base carbs. the big block chev Man a fre uses large base carbs

19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Modern bias ply tires do not flat spot. Flat spotting was common back in the days rayon cord tires. all of my cars have bias ply tires and sit for about 5 months every winter with no noticeable flat spotting

20. Yes! I forgot to mention that! Thank you.

Also there are a few different small bases.

loudbang likes this.
  21. Really? That is awesome. Is your garage heated?

loudbang likes this.
  22. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Perhaps not , but if one considers " thumping" for the first 10-15 miles after sitting over night not flat spotting , then I'm not sure what to call it , " taking a set perhaps ?"

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  23. Budget36

Budget36

I never had thumping from Bias ply tires. I would get a thump from glass belted tires on my 69 Firebird in the winter. Would only last a mile or so once on the highway

24. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yes, but I don't think that matters

25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

That doesn't happen to any of mine

26. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The old articles written by man a fre back in the day called out a couple of specific carbs. one of which is a 1958 chev pickup 283 (manual choke) carb. this one has the proper length throttle arm that works with the man a fre linkage system. A lot of the original man a fre prepped carbs you see have the original arms cut off and a piece of steel brazed on to make the lever the proper length. This mod is not necessary on the 58 chev pickup carbs, these are the carbs I have on my corvette....

27. Absolutely right! I was told that mine are the 1958 truck carburators as well. I never really understood why that was good. Thanks!

28. Brad,
    It has been exactly one year since we last worked together. Seems like yesterday.

I know you are happy up there. I'm so proud that you took the last test drive of the day in my car.

Rest In Peace

Nick and Friends IMG_20200311_164532.jpeg IMG_20200311_173017.jpeg

29. Rear Brake Drum Issues:

Each day I move the car in neutral by a couple feet forward or backwards. I felt a grinding resistance after moving backwards a few inches. I noticed that the driver's side rear brake seems to be stopping me at a certain point.

I don't think this is normal. We have never looked at the rear brakes though. The seemed to roll around fine this past year. I have noticed a couple other times recently that it has been difficult to move.

It has been warm and very humid lately. I don't think that would cause anything. The parking brake cables are underneath the car but not hooked up in the cabin.

Any advice? I think we'll need to check things out.

Are these 1940 Ford brakes on a 1957 Chevy rear axle?

Thank you!

IMG_20191102_193035.jpeg

30. Nick. Pull the rear drums and check things out, clean and adjust the brakes if nothing looks to be wrong. Have you ever flushed the brake system- change the brake fluid?

loudbang and Nicholas Coe like this.